Death in Cocos from shark attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have to wholeheartedly agree there would be many, many, many situations it wouldn't be effective, totally useless, especially for those a situation when there isn't even a shark around. However (yes there is always a however), there would be situations that it would be effective. Kind of like diving with a pony bottle, or always having a whistle with you, or a line cutter. Pretty much 100% uneffective since they aren't used and should just be left on the boat or at home.

Have to wholeheartedly agree there would be many, many, many situations it wouldn't be effective, totally useless, especially for those a situation when there isn't even a shark around. However (yes there is always a however), there would be situations that it would be effective. Kind of like diving with a pony bottle, or always having a whistle with you, or a line cutter. Pretty much 100% uneffective since they aren't used and should just be left on the boat or at home.
Faulty logic. You have your pony, whistle, and line cutter on you, for your personal use, when needed. You do not have the bang stick in your possession, for use when needed. You would have to be close enough to the DM for this strategy to be of any potential use to you. Maybe you stick closer to the DM than I do?

I'd have a tough time drawing any parallels between a pony bottle or line cutter and what is essentially an underwater gun.

You could make a similar argument with seatbelts and airbags to advocate letting folks keep handguns in their gloveboxes.

Kind of like diving with a pony bottle, or always having a whistle with you, or a line cutter. Pretty much 100% uneffective since they aren't used and should just be left on the boat or at home.
So when was the last time you really needed your seatbelts? I assume you never wear them? Or those really expensive airbags? You can just sell them and lighten your car, so it’s a win/win.

I must presume mmmbelows that you have not yet dived with the Undersea Hunter Group.

The vast majority of divers that I’ve met aboard their vessels have been quite experienced, and many of them were avid photographers/filmmakers/videographers. Very few would have any interest in staying in close proximity to other divers, let alone with a large group. Neither would they need to nor care to follow a dive guide.

While the concept of equipping dive guides with bang sticks would be irrelevant to almost everyone that I’ve ever met on any of my UH voyages, it might appeal to a less “salty” customer base, but that is not usually the sort of diver that the company caters to. Were UH to promote the idea that all of their guides are so equipped it could quite likely deter more potential clients than it would entice. Such a policy would not deter me from returning, but the possible implementation of other “safety” procedures or restrictions on personal responsibility, (i.e. “All divers must stay with the group”) most certainly would.

Would chain maille work if you're diving in waters such as these? Neptunic and sharkarmor are two that I've found.

Earlier this year, I went to hear a shark presentation of a natgeo underwater photographer and it was clear in videos he was wearing chain maille mesh.

Would chain maille work
As someone who hates even a wetsuit, I would never want that kind of weight or restriction.

Interesting reactions to a powerhead. Had no idea how many people were so frighten by them.

I'd have a tough time drawing any parallels between a pony bottle or line cutter and what is essentially an underwater gun.

You could make a similar argument with seatbelts and airbags to advocate letting folks keep handguns in their gloveboxes.

Exactly. My pony bottle or line cutter are not going to blow potentially fatal holes in me or somebody else if I drop or jostle them. In exchange for the remote possibility of being able to deter an aggressive shark, you're accepting a higher likelihood of an accidental discharge. It's the same logic you should use for any self-defense weapon; if the risks of injury or death to yourself or others from having it are higher than the risk of injury or death from the situation it's meant to defend you from, it's probably a bad idea to carry it.

Would chain maille work if you're diving in waters such as these? Neptunic and sharkarmor are two that I've found.

Earlier this year, I went to hear a shark presentation of a natgeo underwater photographer and it was clear in videos he was wearing chain maille mesh.

Last I checked, a full suit of chain mail weighs about 20 pounds - it's basically a full-body weight belt. If you're planning to sit on the bottom and hand-feed sharks, great idea. Not so great for swimming in open water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom