Death in Cocos from shark attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just the challenge I needed to dig! I don't know if this is the one you heard of, but some years back we had a member, Thalassamania, who was an intelligent, educated treasure trove of scuba-related knowledge and I miss him. Here's a link to a Feb. 2007 thread, Sharks, but if you don't care to click & read it yourself, here's an excerpt from his post:

Yep, that's the one. Good find. I've tried to find it after the first time I read it and was unsuccessful.

Or an additional perspective on having a DM or other diver "armed." How would they know that the shark meant harm and was not just curious. I could see a serious uptick in the number of sharks killed and potential decimation of different shark species out of fear combined with ignorance. I picture the clip from South Park that, "Whenever they see a creature, they shoot it after yelling, "It's coming right for us!", so they can claim the shooting was in self-defense."

I am so sorry to hear this incident happened. What a horrible thing for everyone involved. I really feel for her friends and fiancé and family, as well as the dive operator, divemasters, and fellow trip participants.

So far most comments have revolved around "would divers go back there again, and if so, what would they do differently?". I've been pondering the Divemasters' predicament. With one of their own injured so badly, what are the chances they'll be able to find any of them willing to go back in the water at that site? From reading all the comments, it sounds like Manuelito has a reputation for being Tiger Sharky and other incidents have happened, or almost did happen IIRC.
Would simply leaving this site off the dive itinerary suffice?

Last edited:
They are indeed a risk; we're simply accustomed to many over-estimating the threat level so it's natural to try and counter the distortion, but true, they seriously wound or kill some people, and I don't think every case was due to mistaking us for another creature (e.g.: great whites hunting seals).

But how many divers disproportionately fear sharks when their risk of heart attack, narcosis-related dysfunction or gear failure then drowning, or arterial gas embolism is much greater?

The issue with night diving around white-tip sharks posing significant risk is good to know, and something I haven't read of in Cocos Island trip reports. In such reports tigers tended to play minor roles; a few seen briefly and likely at some distance was the impression I'd somehow gotten. 1st Hand accounts in this thread are eye-opening!

Richard.

I do have to agree that I felt the most uneasy during the night dive at Manuelita. Especially since at one point, we were surrounded by rivers and rivers of white tips and tarpon hunting, then in an instant they disappeared. I just KNOW there had to have been one or more tiger sharks around when this happened to make the smaller predators just get the hell away. Very unnerving in the dark. The tigers must have left, because after a few minutes, the smaller sharks and tarpon etc reappeared. I’m not ashamed to say I was very jittery after that for the rest of the dive. I half expected the guides to call the dive at that point, but I guess we would have probably been in more danger trying to make the surface.

Last edited:
Having been an operator where tiger sharks are, I don't know of a single operator who would put divers in the water from sunset on if they knew tigers were there. Including this one.

But while we're all discussing defending against tiger sharks, I would say that a large percentage of divers who go to Cocos go for the sharks. If the operator stopped diving with sharks, they would stop diving. So we can discuss all of the precautions the operator should take, this operator seems to have taken them. They never started chumming, they never started feeding, the worst thing they did was let divers go dive, which is what the diver paid for. Seems to me the operator acted with due diligence. And the diver got into the human soup.

I recall reading a story on here of someone using one.

Frankly if you're that close to an adult tiger to be able to put a knife in it (in a natural not conditioned/feeding dive), I suspect it's probably too late.
or maybe not
Local diver, Bill Watts, on another board posted pictures today. Tiger shark attack at Cocos in same area in 2012. Another diver swam ahead of group to take a picture. Tiger came at him aiming for the face. Made several attempts, diver lost camera, fin, was able to stab in head. Diver survived and was helped back up to boat. One picture shows that air hose almost severed but still functioning. Not sure if this works but link is
Kevin Bryant

But according to 'officials' Bill Watts was never attacked by a tiger shark, must have been a turtle

By JENNIFER CALFAS
December 4, 2017
An American tourist died after a tiger shark mauled her legs while she was scuba diving off the coast of Costa Rica last week, authorities said.

The incident occurred on Nov. 30, was an isolated incident and was the first of its kind at Isla del Coco National Park, according to officials. The attack happened as the group was reaching the end of their dive.

Its not about 'taking guns away' it's about not being scared of an effective solution that could save lives just because gun powder is involved.

If the divemaster in this incident had a powerhead with him, likely that tiger shark would be dead right now, would it have prevented the death of Rohinda Bhandari?

If this goes to trial and the operators are faced with having to come up with a new safety plan to get access again. That safety plan could involve divemasters carrying a powerhead on dives. A pretty simple and safe solution adding a bigger margin of safety if things get extreme on a safety stop.

Last edited:
Or, in the struggle, he could’ve accidentally shot her, or himself, with the bang stick. If it didn’t fire, would the boat be accused of not maintaining it properly?

And in the realm of unintended consequences, might boats quit putting guides in the water to minimize liability exposure as you dive at your own risk?

It sounds like people who need to live in a bubble wrapped world better stay out of Cocos!

Last edited:
And in the realm of unintended consequences, might boats quit putting guides in the water to minimize liability exposure as you dive at your own risk?
And I think you've asked why US boats don't put guides in the water. And now you've answered your question.

Its not about 'taking guns away' it's about not being scared of an effective solution that could save lives just because gun powder is involved.

If the divemaster in this incident had a powerhead with him, likely that tiger shark would be dead right now, would it have prevented the death of Rohinda Bhandari?

If this goes to trial and the operators are faced with having to come up with a new safety plan to get access again. That safety plan could involve divemasters carrying a powerhead on dives. A pretty simple and safe solution adding a bigger margin of safety if things get extreme on a safety stop.
I said previously, in general, this would not be an effective solution. Much of the time, divers would not be close enough for the DM to render help. Divers do not always ascend with the DM either. Divers are loathe to dive and ascend in a tight little group, would be unacceptable.

Back
Top Bottom