Death in Cocos from shark attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDSC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just received word there was a death in Cocos today. Tiger shark attack is what I was told. Don’t really know anything more other than the liveaboard is on the way back. Don’t know which outfit.

Is this it?

US Tourist Dies As a Result of A Shark Attack in Isla del Coco Costa Rica - Costa Rica Star News
An American tourist died as a result of the injuries caused by a tiger shark while she was diving in Isla del Coco, Costa Rica; the dive master that was with her suffered serious injuries but survived.

According to the Fuerza Pública (Costa Rican Police) the accident took place this Thursday, when apparently the tourists were in a scuba diving activity with a private company. The boat See Hunter received support from the coast guard to take the victims back to Puntarenas, a trip that takes close to 24 hours, which means they will arrive to Puntarenas on Friday afternoon.

The case is now under investigation by the Puntarenas police and the district attorney office.

This species of shark returned to the waters of Isla del Coco in the year 2012, after almost 30 years of not been seen in this area. The tiger shark (galeocerdo cuvier) receive this name because of the tiger-like stripes on juveniles, and it is known to be a voracious hunter they can reach a size of 10 to 14 feet and can weight anywhere from 850 to 1,400 pounds, the size relative to a 6 foot man.

According to National Geographic, “These large, blunt-nosed predators have a duly earned reputation as man-eaters. They are second only to great whites in attacking people. But because they have a near completely undiscerning palate, they are not likely to swim away after biting a human, as great whites frequently do”.

That’s it.

I have a friend that works for the Undersea Hunter group. I’ll shoot them a message and see if they have any more information.

Wow. I was at Cocos last March, we got just a brief glimpse of a Tiger Shark on one dive. Frightening story, I would not have thought it.

Very disturbing. I feel horrible for the victim and her family. Really hits home.

I was just looking at a Sea Hunter’s trip to Cocos yesterday.

Saw my first tiger shark there last year. It will be interesting to hear the DM’s account assuming he shares it.

Back
Top Bottom