Death in Cocos from shark attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW. That is really surprising and so unfortunate. My condolences to her family during this difficult time.

I am wondering what led up to the event and any other information like depth, conditions, how large of a party, etc. that will be released as well.

Tragic.

Meanwhile, I have a friend in Maldives who deliberately dives with and leads dives to see tiger sharks every day.

Let's hope the dive guide will be able to tell us something.

I said in my original post the liveaboard was on the way back but the article indicates it may be a coast guard boat that has the two victims.

This made me think about something I had not thought of before. I know when something like a bear kills a person, many times, if not all of the time, that animal has to be put down. What happens in a situation like this? My thought is the shark was just being a shark so nothing should happen at all. I hope nothing does. I don't think there are that many Tiger sharks in the area and likely it was one they had seen before so they may even know which one it was.

It's just a sad situation all around and a grim reminder of the potential dangers when you're up close to wild animals.

I think that in many cases, the bear that is put down may or may not be the bear that ate the person. But we all feel better because the "terrible man-eating bear" was killed. Australia kills their man-eating sharks immediately, sometimes 4 or 5 of them, I guess just to teach the others a lesson.

Tragic situation no doubt. When something like this occurs, does the boat always continue on with the trip? Maybe it depends on how big the boat is and how many other paying passengers there are? Maybe it's just case by case depending on what the overall feels is of the rest of the passengers. ?

Tragic situation no doubt. When something like this occurs, does the boat always continue on with the trip? Maybe it depends on how big the boat is and how many other paying passengers there are? Maybe it's just case by case depending on what the overall feels is of the rest of the passengers. ?

So I read another account this morning that indicated the boat was the one on the way back. So I don't know if the boat headed back or if it was some sort of Coast Guard vessel that returned. Unless the Coast Guard was already there, I'm thinking the Sea Hunter itself started back assuming what I read was correct and it was the Sea Hunter boat.

You mean like pitbulls (tiger sharks) versus hound dogs (nurse shark)

Pit bulls get a bad rep. for how they're used, and the fact they have the power to do damage (though a number of dogs share that quality, and also cause serious injuries). One of our dogs was a pit bull when I was a kid; I used to wrestle her, a sweet dog.

Yes, tiger sharks have the power to do terrible things to the human body, and it happens; I just wish articles like this gave the public a better sense of how rare this is in the context of how common it could be if these animals were truly indiscriminate killing machines.

Richard.

So I read another account this morning that indicated the boat was the one on the way back. So I don't know if the boat headed back or if it was some sort of Coast Guard vessel that returned. Unless the Coast Guard was already there, I'm thinking the Sea Hunter itself started back assuming what I read was correct and it was the Sea Hunter boat.

I am supposed to get on the Argo (the sister boat) on Sunday. I arrived in San Jose last night. We have had a message from Undersea Hunter. They said the boat (Sea Hunter) is on the way back and will arrive in port today (Friday) in the afternoon.
The Okeanos was still out at Cocos and continued to dive. They Undersea Hunter is staying in contact with the Okeanos team.

Last edited:
What does 'confined to dive' mean exactly? Confined to the boat so they can't dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom