Death at Windy Point 6/18/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JWU42:
I didn't think Travis went much past 130' ?!?
It has a maximum depth of 210 and an average depth of 62 feet.
Rick

A perfect example of why, no matter what level of diver you are or where you are diving (local holes being NO exception), you should never dive alone. Our bodies were not created to be underwater and there is no way to tell how our physiology is going to act, especially under pressure. Not to speculate but if it is determined to be a physiology problem (stroke, heart, etc.) then his buddy (had he had one) could have gotten him help sooner thus giving him a higher chance of surviving. Very sad to hear, I will keep his family in my prayers.

Diver's body found in Lake Travis
Updated: 6/20/2005 11:59 AM
By: News 8 Austin Staff

Witnesses called Travis County Sheriff's Office about a body in SCUBA gear floating in Lake Travis on Saturday afternoon.

The victim was Jason Allen Waight, 29. He was believed to have been diving by himself at Windy Point Park.

STARFlight was called and CPR was done to try and revive Waight.

The preliminary cause of death is fresh water drowning.

This was forwarded to me by a good friend in Austin who is cousin of one paramedic on site when this happened:

"Well, I had my first SCUBA/CPR event this weekend. Me and Kyle and our friend Scott went out to Lake Travis on Saturday to go diving at Barstows. We had just got there and hauled all of our equipment down to the shore and placed everything on our tarp. Just as we finished this, someone came up to Kyle and Scott's friend Matt (who was with another dive group), and was talking excitedly and pointing, and off they ran.

I looked out to where they were pointing and now going (in the water about 150 feet from shore) and there was this black thing floating. Well, they get there and it's a body in SCUBA gear. They turn him over and start back to shore with him, all the while doing mouth to mouth.

They get to shore and Kyle and Scott jump in to help, while I got "volunteers" to help me get him out of the water. We hefted him up the shore and onto the ground where we started CPR. I had compressions, Kyle had the AED, and Scott had airway (mouth to mask). We continued this for about 10 minutes before Austin EMS Spec. Ops. and their commander showed up, followed by Starflight in their water rescue mode. We eventually passed off all care to the EMS crew and stepped back and filled in the Sheriff's officers with what info we knew.

The code was called after about 35 minutes total and the guy was pronounced on scene.

What we know is that he went diving by himself, had one tank, went to 163 feet on air according to his dive computer, had no safety decompression stops, and had 0 (ZERO) air left in his tank. I don't know if he just made all these fatal errors by accident or what. We have to wait for the autopsy for the cause of death (although from the amount of blood that came out of the ET tube after he was intubated, I have my guesses).

We had to stick around to fill out statements and stuff, and the park rangers thanked us for being there (we are all Licensed Paramedics and were able to run the scene with ease).

There was a short bit on the news that night, but the news crew got there about an 1.5 hours after everything happened."

He was alone! Why on earth was he alone?

I'm new to diving, so if someone would explain to me some things. I understand the seriousness of no deco stops, but what did the writer mean "he went to 163ft on air"? What else would you go on? Nitrox? Trimix? or is she saying he went past his training limit? and if he was coming up without deco causing a rupture...why would his air run out after that problem, unless he was already out and was attempting emergency swimming ascent?

Twinklez

Twinklez:
if someone would explain to me some things. I understand the seriousness of no deco stops, but what did the writer mean "he went to 163ft on air"? What else would you go on? Nitrox? Trimix? or is she saying he went past his training limit? and if he was coming up without deco causing a rupture...why would his air run out after that problem, unless he was already out and was attempting emergency swimming ascent?

Twinklez
First off, my condolences to his family.
It's impossible to say exactly what happened without having been there, but here are my guesses based on what I've read so far: The "163ft on air" thing is probably just something that was said. 163' is within Nitrox range, but it would be a very low mix, such as 24%, or even less if the planned depth had been a little deeper. Trimix would have been an option for that depth as well, but probably wouldn't be used unless it was planned for deeper, or a longer bottom time, which he would have to have had the equipment for, including carrying enough gas supply for deco time. I doubt that he was trained for it...if he had been trained for extended range diving, he would have probably been equipped for it, such as doubles, stage bottle, redundant everything. So, with that in mind, yes, he had probably exceeded his training. He had certainly exceeded what he was equipped for, since he was diving with a single AL80, and due to that lack of that equipment and gas supply, he most likely ran out of air, was unable to reach the surface, and embolized and/or bent trying.
It's sad that the poor guy died, and probably doing something that he enjoyed. What makes it even sadder is that he most likely didn't have to die.

I am suprised that with the info from the dive computer, no one reported the length of his dive....

I am sorry to hear of any diver passing and this would not have been a good day for any at the park.

Since the public park is next door there is always the possibility that he never entered through the private park. They would have required a certification card to allow him to enter as a diver.

Any Instructors/ Divemaster or licensed scuba professional that was at Windy point that day needs to fill out the appropriate paperwork and submit it to their insurance carriers immediately. I would go so far as to add everyone needs to have written down where they were before, during and after the recovery. This is very important because as time passes things slip from our memory and we as divers do not know what is going to happen with this. There could be legal ramifications from the family.
Also do not give detailed accounts online- these databases are searchable! Most Technical orgainzations tell their members to do not interact with the media at all....
It is best left to trained public speakers. I have had friends that give great statements and the press cut them to streads...

Andrew

mle_osu:
I am suprised that with the info from the dive computer, no one reported the length of his dive....
Now that you mention it, that's a good point, but regardless, there is no NDL for 160' using newer recreational tables, and it's 5 minutes using older Navy tables, so there would certaily have been a deco obligation for that dive regardless of bottom time.

The computer was "locked out" due to the decompression violation so they have not had access to more detailed info yet. The lockout will clear this afternoon and they will be able to download and view his profile. Even then, we may never know what happened.
I am confused--- I was assisting with a class that day at Windy Point. He was not one of my students... what "legal ramifications"? I had no duty of care for this person?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom