Death at Windy Point 6/18/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meloknee:
makes me a little nervous as i'm supposed to do my aow there next weekend

With just the initial reports, it's very hard to determine what happen with this diver. We are conducting an AOW classes next weekend at Windy Point. I've dove the site many times and like Jay says, I also doubt it had anything to do with the site. Regardless of what caused the accident, it's always sad and my condolences to the divers family and friends.

Just finished my AOW at Windy Point today and got a little more information on the death. Extremely preliminary and not casting stones. The diver was diving solo and not certified for that. He had an AL 80 and his computer, which is locked out for 48 hours, show a max depth of 167 feet. The information that they were able to get off the computer so far is that his ascent rate from 167 feet to the surface was .....
33 seconds. His tank was empty and his bc was full due to normal expansion.

Yesterday I reported that someone had been signaled that they needed help but it could not have been this person.

My sincere condolences to his family. :frown:

meloknee:
makes me a little nervous as i'm supposed to do my aow there next weekend

Don't be nervous, just remember that anything can happen to any diver at anytime. Never get complacent.

I didn't think Travis went much past 130' ?!?

Rather sad story - but a reminder how quick things can turn into a CF.

I beleive whats left of the river bed out there pushes 160 - 180, other memebers of the board here would know better than I..

I live 10 minutes from Windy Point. Took my 2 kids diving last weekend. There were soooo many divers there, the place was packed. Lots of OW certification divers have been churning up the water. Also there has been an algae bloom due to the sun cooking up the water. I can barely see beyond 10 feet.

There were also quite a few rescue classes going on there too. In one instance, while we were at the surface, I saw a guy faced down and on group stared calling to him. I told my kids to clear way, there might be trouble. A guy next to me said, "Oh, don't worry, it's just a rescue class". So we went our merry way.

With those classes are going on, I can understand how people won't notice the diver for quite sometime.

My condolences to the family.

Very sad to hear this happened. Condolences and prayers to his family.

Back
Top Bottom