Death at Windy Point 6/18/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AggieDad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from diving at Windy Point doing my AOW. A young apparently a solo diver drowned. Due to the large number of classes going on and he was away from most of the classes, his floating on the surface was not really noticed for quite a while. One lady stated that she thought he was just swimming, or a buoy. Incredibly one person told me that they were in a group of three and someone signaled them (not in their group) to go up but they didn't go with him. With all the different groups it is easy to get switched (happened to us today, so we have to do another dive tomorrow to get the required task done). Just speculating but this might have been what happened here. Anyway, he was brought out of the water, CPR was administered, a Sheriff's boat showed up with an AED which was used. The fire department and lifeflite was there but the early estimate was 20 minutes in the water before being discovered. He was called by someone with the EMT's or sheriffs. I do not know if a Doctor was present.
Prior to going out to the lake, a lady at the dive shop was suiting up and had a seisure. Thankfully she wasn't in the pool or the lake. Not a good day.

Wow that's terrible news...yeah when there are that many divers in the water you gotta really be on alert. Once the water gets stirred up there it is very easy to get lost.
BTW it was nice meeting you at Seaspace. Congrats on your AOW

Prayers for the families of both...

A real loss...prayers to the family.

Fate is strange - I choose Mansfield today to finish a skittish student that was upset by the Out of Air Emergency at Windy Point about a month ago...odd

Prayers for all involved.

Very sad. I wonder if he assumed diving solo that he would be safer because of the large number of people in the water? :06:

Diver’s body found in Lake Travis
6/18/2005 7:45 PM
By: News 8 Austin Staff

Witnesses called Travis County Sheriff's Office about a body floating on top of Lake Travis on Saturday afternoon.

STARFlight was called and CPR was done to try and revive the victim, who was wearing diving equipment.

The victim was pronounced deceased about 1:15 p.m. He was believed to have been diving by himself at Windy Point Park.

The medical examiner has yet to determine the cause of death.

makes me a little nervous as i'm supposed to do my aow there next weekend

This is so sad. It does hit you harder when it's in your own local watering holes. Please continue to post the facts as you discover them. My deepest condolences go to this fellow diver's family and friends.

Foo

Back
Top Bottom