Death at Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When a person writes something, I assume they knew what they meant... and worded what they wrote accordingly. Not sure how I would know that you actually meant something different than what your wrote.

Maybe I gave you more credit than I should have. My mistake. Apologies.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2013 at 08:44 PM ----------

Don't worry, all of the the things that actually happened will be enough to horrify you. There's really no need to add made-up stuff to the list of senseless things that occurred here.

RJP this post of yours makes it clear that you are aware of the details. Now, whether you choose to share them or not is clearly your decision. However if they are not to be shared I am not sure what purpose such a post serves other then add fire to rumors and speculations.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Considering how much time has passed since the incident, I would not expect any more information. Their likely won't be any official release of information. The people that have first hand knowledge are either not willing or not able to post here, or so it seems at this point.

Those people that have second hand information seem too have wisely (in my opinion) chosen not to repeat what they know.

Reactions: RJP
So, this is completely second hand information from someone who works at Dutch occasionally. This is a possible partial scenario, as they didn't get into great detail and I didn't push. Diver is maybe a little rushed. Checks the level of air he has in his tank and turns it off. Maybe thinks he turns it back on, but ultimately goes in with the valve only partially opened. He is also diving with a scooter, but his buddies are not, so essentially diving solo. Toward the end of the dive, when the pressure is low, his reg will no longer deliver air, and he can't become positive due to a scooter attached to him. Diver panics (?...my speculation) and drowns, but still had 500 psi in the tank.

I personally have learned a lot from A&I, even from speculation about possible scenarios, when the exact circumstances of an accident may never be known. My sympathies go out to those who lost a friend/family member but I hope somehow, something good (future accident prevention) can come out of this situation.

Last edited:
So, this is completely second hand information from someone who works at Dutch occasionally. This is a possible partial scenario, as they didn't get into great detail and I didn't push . Diver is maybe a little rushed. Checks the level of air he has in his tank and turns it off. Maybe thinks he turns it back on, but ultimately goes in with the valve only partially opened. He is also diving with a scooter, but his buddies are not, so essentially diving solo. Toward the end of the dive, when the pressure is low, his reg will no longer deliver air, and he can't become positive due to a scooter attached to him. Diver panics (?...my speculation) and drowns, but still had 500 psi in the tank.

This lines up with the information I got also second or third hand. Interesting I had assumed the problem happened near the beginning of the dive. Just shows how unreliable human witnesses are...

So, this is completely second hand information from someone who works at Dutch occasionally. This is a possible partial scenario, as they didn't get into great detail and I didn't push . Diver is maybe a little rushed. Checks the level of air he has in his tank and turns it off. Maybe thinks he turns it back on, but ultimately goes in with the valve only partially opened. He is also diving with a scooter, but his buddies are not, so essentially diving solo. Toward the end of the dive, when the pressure is low, his reg will no longer deliver air, and he can't become positive due to a scooter attached to him. Diver panics (?...my speculation) and drowns, but still had 500 psi in the tank.

Perhaps this is my ignorance of scooters speaking, but assuming he had juice remaining, couldn't he have pointed it at the surface and pulled the trigger?

Perhaps this is my ignorance of scooters speaking, but assuming he had juice remaining, couldn't he have pointed it at the surface and pulled the trigger?

Funny but I was thinking the same - aim it up - get to the unlimited air supply and disengage from the machine...

I personally have learned a lot from A&I, even from speculation about possible scenarios, when the exact circumstances of an accident may never be known. My sympathies go out to those who lost a friend/family members but I hope somehow, something good (future accident prevention) can come out of this situation.
Well, checking air pressure then turning it off - then going in with gauge showing full but really off, vs turning it off - then 1/4 turn on are two different risks. I've caught both on my tanks because they're both fears I check for. I like my tank all the way on, but I've given up on breaking in boat crew on such. I test breathe it hard, watching the gauge, before entering - and keep my pony handy, where I can see the gauge and control the valve easily. A reg tech once told me he could tell that I test breathe that way from some marks on my reg.

Your appraisal seems to fit as much as any, solo diver going in with a group, then failure. Certainly things there to learn to avoid.

Funny but I was thinking the same - aim it up - get to the unlimited air supply and disengage from the machine...

Still air in the tank . . . could've filled the BC . . . points to panic, or medical.

But point: Don't rush.

Still air in the tank . . . could've filled the BC . . . points to panic, or medical.

But point: Don't rush.
Depends. IF it was 1/4 turn on and he got down before realizing it, there can be no air available until ascending. Using all but 500# doesn't fit tho, so we may not learn the real deal. Just a lot of reminders what to avoid maybe...?

This looks like one of those cases where there may be more to learn from the speculation than from the facts.

Back
Top Bottom