Dealing with flag/float line handle while lobstering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're required to stay within 100' of the flag, and there's ANY small patch of sand or mud or gravel where you will lobstering? Go to any pet store or hardware store, they sell those ground screws that you screw into the lawn (or the sand!) and clip a dog lead to. Screw into the sand, attach your float, staying within a 100' radius of it should keep you legal and make it easy.
"Divers shall remain in an area within one hundred feet of such displayed diver's flag while at or near the surface of the water." You can travel as far as you want under water.....

We offer an excellent, easily towable float, a hook and a reel combo in a discount package for this exact application.

SCUBA Divers Surface Float Package | Mako Spearguns

View attachment 465741
as commented before - that flag doesn't project high enough to be be legal in MA " a diver's flag, so called, constructed of rigidly supported material at least twelve inches by fifteen inches in area of red background with a white diagonal stripe. Such diver's flag shall be displayed on a boat or surface float and shall extend a minimum distance of three feet from the surface of the water." Remember this was posted in the Northeastern US forum guys. All this stuff about FL is off topic.

Sorry about that. I should have paid more attention to the State of the OP. Different states having different requirements makes it tough.

I am certainly not suggesting that anyone consider violating any laws or ordinances.

I'm a newbie MA lobster license holder (1st season), so forgive me for asking a question that was probably asked before. I searched, and I couldn't get an answer that would help me.

I've gone out 2-3 times already, including yesterday, and I just can't figure out a proper technique for dealing with the flag handle while trying to catch lobster. I carry a tickle stick in my left hand, and I'm catching bugs with my right hand. Sometimes I also use flashlight, but for simplicity let's ignore that for now. Where does the flag handle go when I try to tickle, grab, and measure?

I tried attaching it to the upper right D-ring of my BC on 1 or 2 dives, but I know that it's considered bad practice, especially in spots with boat traffic. It was also a PITA to roll/unroll/buckle/unbuckle. Keeping it in my hands is not an option either - I need both of them to do the task. I have let go off the handle a few times (sometimes on purpose, sometimes in a heat of the moment), with different outcomes. In the worst case, I had to abort a dive, ascend, and chase the flag on the surface.

My next plan is to attach a weight that would keep the handle neutrally buoyant and then "suspend" it for a few seconds in hopes to find it where I left it, but it's seems a bit iffy too. I'm sure anyone who has been doing it for a few seasons has some kind of solution for this issue. Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Been diving in New England for bugs since 1970, here's what I do all the time day or night, bug diving or not. I've attached a rubber loop and a float to my "reel" it's more of a line keeper actually.

I put my left arm thru the loop, when underwater the line and reel is suspended above my left shoulder by the float and out of the way. As long as you don't raise your hand above your head it'll stay put, and since it's not attached to you or your gear you can break away from it if needed by simply raising your left hand. Been doing this for many decades works great and both hands are free.

Been diving in New England for bugs since 1970, here's what I do all the time day or night, bug diving or not. I've attached a rubber loop and a float to my "reel" it's more of a line keeper actually.

I put my left arm thru the loop, when underwater the line and reel is suspended above my left shoulder by the float and out of the way. As long as you don't raise your hand above your head it'll stay put, and since it's not attached to you or your gear you can break away from it if needed by simply raising your left hand. Been doing this for many decades works great and both hands are free.
Photographers commonly do similar in Florida. They have their line on a float. I think that they generally have the line secured on to themselves in some way.

I never drag the flag when I shore dive and never attach it to myself because of the wind drag and surface currents. I use a 2-pd weight as an anchor and hold it in my hand while on surface swim, then leave it at 25-30 ft and pick it up on my way back. If there's current, I use 2x2 pd or rely on putting the anchor weight into a hole.

Interesting idea! How big is your rubber loop, something like a bicycle inner tube? I might have one of those in my garage, can probably give it a try this weekend... Try the weighted solution, and then loop/float, see what works best.

Interesting idea! How big is your rubber loop, something like a bicycle inner tube? I might have one of those in my garage, can probably give it a try this weekend... Try the weighted solution, and then loop/float, see what works best.

The loop is one or two (depending on the size loop you want) rubber bungees the kind with the S hooks on both ends. The hooks are bent together to secure it to the float. I'd guess my loop is 2 feet in diameter. An inner tube would work as well I'd imagine.

I use inner tubes more for lining my tanks bands where they contact the tanks.

My other method is a SMB with a divers flag sewn onto it and a finger reel. If I need to surface I shoot the SMB or when I go back to shore I'll shoot it in case enforcement is on shore when I get there. This means of course I'm in violation of the law during the dive but I'm a plank holding member of FTF (F**K The Flag) movement so I don't care. You chart your own course.

Last edited:
So here is my solution invented this weekend :)

Works like a charm: 1) holds handle on the bottom in little current/wave action; 2) is actually more comfortable to hold than the bare handle; and 3) takes that monstrosity off my calf. The weight of the knife is about 8 oz. I'm sure in stronger waves/currents I may need more weight, but for what I dive now it works great.

Thank you all again for your input!

Attachments

• image1 (3).jpeg
    image1 (3).jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 116
  • image2 (3).jpeg
    image2 (3).jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 165
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom