Dead Sharks!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man this sucks. Another reason to dislike anyone who wears a sharks tooth on a necklace.

Shark teeth are ok as long as they are a fossilized one.

Carolyn:sharks:

Man this sucks. Another reason to dislike anyone who wears a sharks tooth on a necklace.

you can buy sharks teeth at any Florida tourist shop. Sharks teeth fall out all the time.... some sharks are continuously loosing teeth.

These look like the jaws were cut out with the teeth in the jaws. Like someone wanted to mount the jaws above their fireplace like a trophy. That's the difference.

The shark was killed just for it's jawbone and teeth instead of cutting it up into steaks and then it was 'dumped'. This is as bad as killing a shark just for its fin to make soup.

I think this is bad; however I think it is more comon than one thinks. I was at a Georgia MArina a few years ago when they had a shark tourny. After the fish were weighed they took them to sea and dumped them. This is just as bad.

most fishing tournaments now days I think go to extra efforts to insure the fish are released and kept alive. But I'm sure it's stressful on fish to jerk them out of the water by the lip and put them in a livewell.

Fish carcasses are dumped every day also. maybe not in a ditch like above, but it's common practice to fillet fish caught on a trip on the way back in and chunk the carcass overboard. Doesn't hurt the environment either as it becomes part of the food ecosystem for other fish and essentially the carcass isn't "wasted" like being thrown in the ditch without even filleting for steaks/fillets.

jack asses (TOS prevents me from using the words I'd prefer to use).

people like this give good, honest, responsible hunters, fishermen, and rednecks a bad rep.

btw, I said "fixin' to" for the first time in my life last week so I guess I'm on my way to becoming an honorary Southerner. (But I still hate grits, even those that cook for 20 minutes).

you can buy sharks teeth at any Florida tourist shop. Sharks teeth fall out all the time.... some sharks are continuously loosing teeth.

These look like the jaws were cut out with the teeth in the jaws. Like someone wanted to mount the jaws above their fireplace like a trophy. That's the difference.

The shark was killed just for it's jawbone and teeth instead of cutting it up into steaks and then it was 'dumped'. This is as bad as killing a shark just for its fin to make soup.

it is exactly the same as killing a deer for its rack. or killing any animal just to mount some or all of its carcass. If you kill it, eat it!

Not true. I have one one my belly button ring and a beautiful great white tooth on a necklace, as well as the megaladon teeth I just found on a river dive. The difference is that I actually plucked them off the bottom of the sea or a river bed. I am proud of those teeth and wear them because I love sharks.
I have never bought sharks teeth at souvineer stands, because I can find them myself when I dive. I even found one walking on a beach at Tybee years ago. Shark's teeth are sloughed off al the time and I think it is a gift from nature when I find them.
This is a whole different thing entirely.

most fishing tournaments now days I think go to extra efforts to insure the fish are released and kept alive.

The situation is improving, but there's still a long ways to go. Every tournament has a different set of rules; some employ dockside weigh-ins for smaller species or supply official observers on tournament boats to document the catch and release of larger species, i.e. billfish, tarpon, etc. Unfortunately, many others require the needless killing of fish/sharks, followed by a sensational, hanging of the meat, dockside weigh-in, followed by the dumping of the wasted carcasses.

I fish, I hunt, I spear. But I never, ever take a fish or any animal for that matter, that will not be consumed for food!

I doubt the offenders in this case will ever be caught or prosecuted, but don't forget...karma's a bitch!

Oh?
See my profile pic. Many of us recover fossilized megaladon teeth and make jewelry out of them. If you dive places like Morehead you can find fresh sand tiger teeth around the wrecks, and make jewelry of them.

Several sharks missing jaws in a ditch are some yahoos boiling the jaws for themselves, not sale.

Oh?
See my profile pic. Many of us recover fossilized megaladon teeth and make jewelry out of them. If you dive places like Morehead you can find fresh sand tiger teeth around the wrecks, and make jewelry of them.

Several sharks missing jaws in a ditch are some yahoos boiling the jaws for themselves, not sale.

Nice tooth in your profile pic. I have a few around that size. I think many of us have these trophies of good eyes while diving. I am proud of mine. Of course, I certainly don't have any whole jaws......

Back
Top Bottom