DCS in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got certified for nitrox several years ago; I hadn't been using it because of the extra expense, but I will in the future. (Strangely, when I asked about nitrox during a trip to Australia, in response I got an angry lecture about diving on drugs; apparently the guy thought I meant nitrous.)

I got certified for nitrox several years ago; I hadn't been using it because of the extra expense, but I will in the future. (Strangely, when I asked about nitrox during a trip to Australia, in response I got an angry lecture about diving on drugs; apparently the guy thought I meant nitrous.)
On last trip to Cozumel, I was with Aldora on one of the advanced 6-pack boats-our dive plan(s) for the day was to a deep dive up north followed by a semi-shallow dive for the 2nd dive. We had to pick up a pair of divers at another hotel and there was this one diver who wanted to dive AIR despite EVERYONE else being on Nitrox. The diver is nitrox certified but for some reason he was pretty stern on diving air-he kind of argued with the DM about this and eventually agreed to dive nitrox with the rest of the group.

After diving that day we suspect this guy didn't want to pony up the extra $ for nitrox but I'm pretty certain if one diver is on air and everyone else is on Nitrox we all have to follow the air guy's profile.

I was diagnosed on this trip with what was described as a "very small" PFO, although why it became a problem after nearly 25 years of diving is a puzzle. Clinic in Cozumel said it was too small to make surgery an option. . . .

You might want to consider getting a second opinion. Just sayin'.

There was only one couple during the week this trip that was using nitrox, so air versus nitrox wasn't usually an issue. Divemasters were all using air.
You might want to consider getting a second opinion. Just sayin'.
You mean about the surgery or about the PFO? I'll pass on the surgery, thank you.

You mean about the surgery or about the PFO? I'll pass on the surgery, thank you.

I meant getting a second opinion as to whether the PFO is "too small to make surgery an option." Sounds like you have made up your mind to live with it, though.

Well, I suffered round 2 of DCS in Cozumel last week. (First one was five years earlier, also in Cozumel.)

You've had 2 rounds of DCS in 5 years? Has it ever crossed your mind that diving is not for you and you should quit? :banghead:

I've been diving for 25 years. No, I'm not going to quit; I'm just looking for realistic ways to manage the risk.

You've ruined the day twice for alot of people. If your goal is to manage the risk, then you should be on a private boat with a private DM and an air ambulance on the ready.

I was diagnosed on this trip with what was described as a "very small" PFO, although why it became a problem after nearly 25 years of diving is a puzzle. Clinic in Cozumel said it was too small to make surgery an option. The deepest dive this trip was about 80 feet, I've spoken with the divemasters and no one can figure out what happened. We ran into a really strong and unexpected "headwind" current on one dive, and I sneezed several times on another (how weird is that?), but there was no really obvious cause.
It's frustrating to me because I'm careful about hydration on trips - don't drink at all, not even coffee - but on one dive two of the divers were puking under water because they were so hung over. Sometimes I just think it's the luck of the draw.

So sorry to hear this Butch. Curious though, as someone who has had more than one "undeserved" DCS hit I've done A LOT of research and talked to several Doctors and been through every test. Which chamber did you go to and are you SURE they did the PFO test on you in Cozumel?

The "it's too small" to warrant surgery comment is perplexing and makes no sense. If you have a hole/valve that has not fully closed - then it is allowing improper gas exchange which is VERY likely the cause of your 2 underserved hits. No hole or valve opening is too small to be repaired in this case.

As far as how to plan trips in the future if cleared to dive - shouldn't be too problematic. Of course request Nitrox up to 40% if you can for all dives. Dive conservative profiles. For example, shoren your dives to 40 - 45 minutes to reduce N2 loading. Make sure you have a dive buddy who is willing to do this with you. Hire a private DM if not. For me, I dive 40%, limit dives to 45 minutes and 80ft MAX - but try to stay more in the 60-70 range and I do an extra long safety stop and surface interval. I di graduated stops - so if your max depth is 80 feet for example, when you are ready to end your dive, stop at 40 feet (1/2 your max depth) for at least 2-3 minutes. Then slowly work your way to 20 feet (1/2 that depth) and stay for 5 minutes - then finish off for several minutes between 10 and 15 feet. Surfacing 15 - 20 minutes before the other divers also gives you that extended SI. We (Blue XT~Sea) does long SI's anyway - it allows more potions for the second dive AND it gives my crew more time to offgas - remember they dive a lot more :) Also, no hot tubs, hot showers, massages or exercise after diving. Relax, hydrate and abstain (at least limit) from alcohol and caffeine. Just a few ideas and tips :)

scbaNE2179:
I've been to Cozumel quite a few times and on my last trip I made the decision to ONLY dive EAN36. Mainly so I can get more bottom time over depth. The only limiting factor here with 36 is when I'm hunting for lionfish and them buggers are past 100ft on a wall.

There is zero benefit to Nitrox from the aspect of N2 loading when using Nitrox to extend bottom time. It is no different than diving air (21% O2) to air limits - the higher % of O2 simply gives you extended NDL's

scbaNE2179:
After diving that day we suspect this guy didn't want to pony up the extra $ for nitrox but I'm pretty certain if one diver is on air and everyone else is on Nitrox we all have to follow the air guy's profile.

That may be true for ops who require the entire group to surface together, and for those using Nitrox to extend NDL limits - but generally having a mixed boat does not affect other divers.

Last edited:
You've ruined the day twice for alot of people. If your goal is to manage the risk, then you should be on a private boat with a private DM and an air ambulance on the ready.

Where do you jump from he suffered DCS to he ruined the day twice for a lot of people? Pretty HUGE jump and accusation for not knowing all of the details or circumstances. We're not talking about a liveaboard that had to turn around to go back to port - we're talking about day boats - it's very likely that his symptoms didn't even present until he was back at his hotel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom