DCS due to reading computer wrong (I think)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Balogna. They're not trying to make it as safe as possible. If they were, they're wouldn't be solo divers diving without redundancy to 50 metres.

Both the operation and the divers have responsibilities regarding safety.

Notice that even the Dms weren't wearing twins.

I don't completely discount what you're saying, but at some point - to make it "as safe" as possible - you would leave the boat moored at the Blue Lagoon and never let anyone dive at all.

Sounds to me like "as safe as possible" means that if you the customer base are essentially demanding that we the dive op take you on this death-defying ride, we will ask you to fasten your seatbelt.

Just a "For What It's Worth": The Tec 2G will lock out and display "SOS" (or a "505 Error" as I've seen some people complain about :cool: ) if the decompression stops are ignored. I have no idea if the OP's computer did this.

flots

Its funny that this issue, which stems from comments in the original post and have been asked about several times so far, have not received a response.

If the diver did not follow his computer's plans for decompression stops and then failed to follow the adjusted plans as the dive continued, then the compute would have locked him out and given the error mention flots mentions. If it did not lock him out, then the computer was happy with what he did.

Which was it?

Its funny that this issue, which stems from comments in the original post and have been asked about several times so far, have not received a response.

If the diver did not follow his computer's plans for decompression stops and then failed to follow the adjusted plans as the dive continued, then the compute would have locked him out and given the error mention flots mentions. If it did not lock him out, then the computer was happy with what he did.

Which was it?

That does make a difference. As much as I don't like "riding the computer" on deco dives, with all the Uwatec divers and dives I've seen, if you manage to get to the surface without bending the computer, the diver should be in pretty good shape; certainly not in the "can't feel things and needs O2 category.

Downloading the computer into Uwatec's SmartTrack software would produce a complete dive profile with all sorts of fascinating information including depth, pressure, workload, ascent rate and recommended and missed stops.

flots.

Yeah I think this is boring now. OP has learnt his lesson. Brill. Whoop ee do.

Pretty sure lesson learnt. Dog piling now just glorified wank fest.

Don't dive so stupid in future. And don't get riled by ppl that have been that stupid themselves in the past. Me included.

J

Which was it?
IIRC this was his last dive of the trip. If he didn't attempt to use the comp again or look at it for history, he may not even have noticed whether it locked up afterwards. Downloading the dive profile for analysis is a good idea.

Hintermann, if you're still following this Thread, I have a question. If you should decide to not answer publicly, I undertand.

I can't remember how many dives you had done ON THAT TRIP before you dove the SFM. Did you dive the day before you dove the SFM?

I wonder if there might have been a healthful impact if you had taken a non-diving day on the day before. Would a day of hydration and plenty of sleep before the dive had any impact? I don't know.

So, did you dive the day before? If so, what kind of diving did you do that day?

Thank you again for posting, Hintermann. You have helped promote safety in the diving community by posting here.

I wonder if there might have been a healthful impact if you had taken a non-diving day on the day before. Would a day of hydration and plenty of sleep before the dive had any impact? I don't know.

If you mean does taking a day off and staying hydrated mitigate the danger of diving to 170 ft on a single tank with no decompression training or plan, then I would offer the answer that there is no 'healthful' impact.

How simple is this? The guy got lucky, this thread could have VERY easily been about a fatality.

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2013 at 07:32 AM ----------

Balogna. They're not trying to make it as safe as possible. If they were, they're wouldn't be solo divers diving without redundancy to 50 metres.

Both the operation and the divers have responsibilities regarding safety.

Notice that even the Dms weren't wearing twins.

I completely agree. Except I think it's "Bologna" not to be confused with "Baloney":wink:

Having done this dive, I think some of the criticisms are a bit extreme. There are certain risks in everything we do in life. The acceptable risk for a given activity differs for everyone. There are some who post here who I wonder if they ever get in the water based on their posting personality, others who post who I am surprised are alive. These perceptions however are passed though my acceptable risk filter. The filter just isn’t the same for everyone.

Yes, it would be better if everyone who does the SFM had training in deco and was diving doubles. However, the reality is the dive is done by divers from Odyssey as well as from divers from the other operations in Chuuk on a weekly basis. The water is warm and clear and there is no current. Odyssey does the dive with hovering DMs as well as DMs on the deck. The DMs are on singles but have the SAC of a sleeping field mouse. There is also a cylinder placed on the deck and one hung from the anchor line.
As I stated earlier in this tread, I did the dive and was comfortable with the setup. There were two divers on the boat who were relatively inexperienced and chose not to do it. I suspect these two may have been counseled to consider the alternative dive that day.

My buddy was on doubles and I had an over filled single. As I stated before we did dive to the bow gun, swan to the two man tanks on the deck and then ascended up the anchor line.

Personally, I would not have done the dive without a defined buddy. Not having a readily available gas supply to get to the cylinder on the deck or the one on the line would be an issue for me. Diving the same profile allowed us a double check of our deco by forcing both of our computers to clear before surfacing.

If the dive was any of the following: cold, dark, had current, no extra gas on the wreck and line or there were no experienced DMs, I would have opted out. Given the same conditions I did the dive in, I would gladly do it again.

I am curious what the download of the OP’s profile shows. I am not familiar with his computer but I would have thought alarms must have been going off if there was deco obligation left when he surfaced.

I'm curious about what you think the "experienced DMs" were going to be able to do for you? At 170 feet, deco is racking up pretty fast, and the key to deco is that you have to have enough gas to do it. If you aren't carrying deco gas or stages, and you incur a much larger obligation than you expect because you have to go to depth to sort out some narced diver who has forgotten to check his gas, are you going to have enough to get BOTH of you up safely?

I think anybody who does a 170 foot dive feeling comforted because they are being watched by an "experienced DM" really ought to give some serious second thought to the dive. It's bad enough that people think the DMs are going to save them on 60 foot reef dives. It's a whole 'nother thing when you are talking serious staged decompression depths. Time is gas in a big way at those depths.

Back
Top Bottom