DCI & recompression chamber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wahlaoeh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
was debating about this topic with few friends in bali & hope someone can help clear the doubts...

in case when someone suffering from DCI & needed emergency helicopter transport & the nearest hyperbaric facility is in a foreign country , eg, from tioman (malaysia) to singapore, what kind of clearance (military) is needed?? or do DAN has a "special" permit to allow foreign aircraft to transport/land?

is it true when a diver is unconscious & needed HBO treatment, the medic will "poked" holes in his ear to help him equalise before repressursing him to a depth where the bubbles of nitrogen are made smaller & the gas redissolves into the body tissues and fluids??

thanks.

jovin-

wahlaoeh:
is it true when a diver is unconscious & needed HBO treatment, the medic will "poked" holes in his ear to help him equalise before repressursing him to a depth where the bubbles of nitrogen are made smaller & the gas redissolves into the body tissues and fluids??

I believe that's true. When you are in a hyperbaric chamber being taken to depth, you will need to equalize your ears just as you do when diving. If the patient is unconscious, I do believe they have an instrument they can use to pierce the eardrums to allow the airspace behind the ear to equalize on its own. I'm not sure if this would be done all the time with an unconscious patient or just in certain situations.

I am not a hyperbaric technician nor a medical professional of any kind. Just relaying what I've read.

I would doubt DAN has logistics arrangements in place, the agency is set up for both consultation and insurance for diving casualties not logistics of patient transport.

If the patient is unconscious, you would not know if they are having difficulty clearing, the primary symptom is pain.

The Navy does have protocols for venting pressure during treatment if the patient can not clear to treatment depth. Piercing the tempatic membrane allows for a quicker recovery time than a tear from continuing decent.

I have not had to perform the procedure during any treatments I have been assigned and do not recall hearing of it performed but the protocol does exist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom