DC drysuit glove installation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydro12

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anybody have any better how-to's than what are already posted on SB for installing these little *******s on to your drysuit? I've spent the past 3 hours trying to get even one of the rings on to the suit. At this point, I've got KY jelly all over my drysuit and half the living room, I've managed to shatter one of the suit rings into a thousand little pieces, and I still haven't managed to get any further than I was 3 hours ago. My only solace is that I have 2 of all the pieces because of a friend who no longer dives, so I can continue trying to tear this crap apart.

I can get the ring in the suit with the arm inside out, then I can put the o-ring on and start manipulating it backwards, right-side out again, but only get about 30% of the ring right side out before it's completely stuck and there's no budging, period. I just can't imagine anybody has dry gloves if it's this difficult. What magical step or alternative method am I missing?

The ring has to be fully in the wrist seal. The farther it is from the edge of the suit material the better.

Yeah, it's not touching the suit material at all (CLX450). It's all over the latex seal, but still no luck.

hydro12:
Anybody have any better how-to's than what are already posted on SB for installing these little *******s on to your drysuit? I've spent the past 3 hours trying to get even one of the rings on to the suit. At this point, I've got KY jelly all over my drysuit and half the living room, I've managed to shatter one of the suit rings into a thousand little pieces, and I still haven't managed to get any further than I was 3 hours ago. My only solace is that I have 2 of all the pieces because of a friend who no longer dives, so I can continue trying to tear this crap apart.

I can get the ring in the suit with the arm inside out, then I can put the o-ring on and start manipulating it backwards, right-side out again, but only get about 30% of the ring right side out before it's completely stuck and there's no budging, period. I just can't imagine anybody has dry gloves if it's this difficult. What magical step or alternative method am I missing?

I thought that ring was damaged in shipping? Guess the one I shipped this afternoon should remedy the one that was shattered into a thousand little pieces.

Installation instructions for SKAANA drygloves can be found here.

Chris
COVCI

Fortunately, it was a different ring. The one that shattered (into more than 2 pieces) was one of the older ones my friend had. The one I received today wasn't shattered so much as it was broken halfway down the middle with a piece missing. I still have two (one older one) and the other new one you sent that was fine. I can't get either one in =/

Yes, I know, not my luck with these things.

And thanks, still, for shipping that out today.

hydro12:
Fortunately, it was a different ring. The one that shattered (into more than 2 pieces) was one of the older ones my friend had. The one I received today wasn't shattered so much as it was broken halfway down the middle with a piece missing. I still have two (one older one) and the other new one you sent that was fine. I can't get either one in =/

Yes, I know, not my luck with these things.

And thanks, still, for shipping that out today.

Check out the link in the previous post for detailed instructions. It also helps to have a buddy to provide assistance and a six pack of your favorite beverage.

Good luck.

Chris

Yeah, that's the method I've been trying for the past few hours. My buddy's been no help as he had his installed by a now-defunct LDS. I even found somebody's Yahoo pictures account from the forums at 5th-d where he showed step by step.

I get irritated when I can't get stuff like this - I may need a shot block lined up rather than a 6 pack. Thanks again Chris!

....and I managed to break the other old one. Bah, I'm going to wait till I get my replacement new one in. I need some more practice suit rings =X

I know this thread hasn't has replies in two months but I figured I'd post anyways for anyone looking for info.

I had exactly the same problem, the Si Tech/Bare Quick Clamp installation guide completely sucks and is written worse that a computer science manual - None of the diagrams match up correcting with the numbered "steps", and the pictures are garbage. The one time I was able to get everything to temporarily install, it seemed to work fantastic, except that doffing is almost impossible because the "quick" release doesn't really function "quickly" or as a "release", unless you have hands made of iron.

I fussed with the inner ring and latex seal for nearly two hours trying to get an acceptable fit, with more than one colored ring. The black rings fit, with difficultly, but when you expose them to water < 50 degrees they simply slip out because the plastic parts contract -- When you use thicker rings, they are COMPLETELY, and I cannot stress this enough, COMPLETELY impossible to get into the outer ring without tearing the latex drysuit seal.

I'm going to try heating up the outer piece in boiling water to expand it and then try a thicker ring in an attempt to get a strong seal -- I'll post my results if I'm able to get this thing installed.

Having said that, even if I do get the things installed, for the 90 bucks canadian I paid, they are complete crap and are not worth a dime.

For anyone whos curious, I'm installing them on a Bare NexGen Drysuit ML. You might have better luck with a different drysuit with a different thickness seal.

Why don't you just reto fit some Viking ring cuffs or those DUI Zip seals on your suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom