Day Trips from Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmart64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So, I know this is a really subjective question, but I would like to get some opinions...we are going to Belize in May and will be staying on Ambergris Caye. It looks like there are a couple options for 3 tank day trips. One of course is The Blue Hole trip followed up with Half Moon Caye and Long Caye Wall. The other option is the Turneffe trip. It sounds like that one may go to Lighthouse Reef and The Elbow. For those of you who have done these trips, we would just like to get your feedback as we can only afford to do one of them.

Thanks!

I have a hard time with this question because yes, it is subjective. It is also weather dependent. I love the lunch on the idyllic Half moon Caye and the follow up dives so much, that I invariably choose the Blue Hole trip. The Turneffe trip is special too, so you neednt think you have missed out if you do one and not the other. Besides you can choose the other one on your next trip to Ambergris Caye! !

I have a hard time with this question because yes, it is subjective. It is also weather dependent. I love the lunch on the idyllic Half moon Caye and the follow up dives so much, that I invariably choose the Blue Hole trip. The Turneffe trip is special too, so you neednt think you have missed out if you do one and not the other. Besides you can choose the other one on your next trip to Ambergris Caye! !

Well there's always that!

Thanks,

Joe

I did the Elbow trip from Ambergris about 13 years ago. We did three dives around the Elbow. It's a pretty long piece of reef. Maybe they've changed and do the south tip of Lighthouse (Half Moon is there) and cross a bit SW back to the Elbow. That makes for a pretty long trip though.

I've heard and read that HM Caye is the best in Belize. I was there twice but don't remember being....like...totally blown away. The Elbow however is one of my regular spots. I've been there....maybe 30 times. If you have a good guide, you'll likely see a fish concentration like no where else in the world. Spadefish, permit, horse eye jacks, dog snapper, mutton snapper, cubera snapper and numerous grouper. If you're really lucky, kingfish passing by. Once even a big school of dolphins hung out with us.
Yep. I like the Elbow.

I haven't done the trips, but I have done the dives.

If I had to choose between one or the other, I'd do the BH trip. Not so much for the BH dive itself but for the ride from the BH to Half Moon Caye, the SI on Half Moon Caye, The Aquarium, lunch/second SI on Half Moon Caye and the third dive whose name escapes me. The scenery both above and below water is absolutely fantastic.

But The Elbow's a close second.

If you stayed at Turneffe Island Resort, you would do both trips and in fact do multiple dives on The Elbow since it's only five minutes away.

Or if you stayed in Placencia, you could do both since Splash does a "Grand Slam" overnight tour for the same price as an AC day tour, diving all the hotspots north to the BH and back.

But you just had to make things difficult for yourself, lol. :D

Hank, see you in August. Let's plan to put down the shrimp and do the Elbow together this time.

Hank, see you in August. Let's plan to put down the shrimp and do the Elbow together this time.

We're out there badehh….

If you're going to be here just at or after the full moon in Aug, you're going to see the Elbow at its best. You may have to shed that steel thing on your back that makes all the bubbles though. :D

Back
Top Bottom