Day trip to Travis possible..........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was told that there is a nice underwater canyon that runs north from windy point (private) park in about 150ft of water. Is that where the river bed lays?

Gracious, Andrew

ianr33:
Travis is good at the moment. Decent Viz. Max depth is around 130.Diving the edge of the river channel is neat.

You can park next to the water at Windy Point Public.

texdiveguy:
A few months past I was diving there but the park officer had us park in the lots,,,,are they 'allowing' you to leave car down there now??

Yes it is allowed. Have parked there several times in the last month. Do not park outside (even 6 inches!) outside the line of orange cones unless you want a ticket !!

I guess they are allowing this as the boat ramp is nowhere near the water anymore

I'll be out there Friday camping at Mansfield Dam, PM me if you're going to be out there...

Crazyduck:
I was told that there is a nice underwater canyon that runs north from windy point (private) park in about 150ft of water. Is that where the river bed lays?

Gracious, Andrew

That is probably the river bed you are referring to. The slope with the trees now stops at a flat silty plain at 130 or so. Presumably the original river bed is in the middle of this plain somewhere but it has been filled in by silt long ago.

The bottom of Travis is very featureless and seems to be almost flat. Max depth at the dam and at Windy Point is the same give or take a foot or 2. I would not be surprised if the silt layer is 20 feet thick. it is certainly longer than my arm !

I will be at the WP 'public side' Sat. morning by 10am,,,,,will be parked 'down' near the lake within those orange cones! I drive a dark gray Ford Focus Station Wagon....hope to do at least 2 dives prior to heading home late in the day. Anyone welcome! :)

Windy point public is the place to dive. Still has decent access and as Ian pointed out vis was really good at 130. There are many lines down there so be careful not to get tangled...

Ian, which day were you thinking about diving? I am going to ACL on Sunday so Saturaday might work for me?

L

ianr33 PM sent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom