Day trip to San Diego for AZ divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

josh1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A few of us might be going over to San Diego to dive from La Jolla shores on March 28th (Saturday).

We haven't put together any details yet, but we are thinking of just a day trip over there on Friday, stay the night somewhere and then dive a few dives on Saturday. Then return home either that night or Sunday morning. The travel details and lodging is not planned yet and it may be different for everyone.

However we are going to dive that Saturday from La Jolla shores. We'll probably meet at Kellogg Park which is right along the beach and has free parking.

If anyone else from AZ wants to go over there and dive that day then just post a reply to this thread and express interest. Maybe we can get some more detailed plans or do some carpooling or something of that nature. Perhaps an idea for a meet and greet for late March/early April. It's just a day trip over to dive on Saturday the 28th and then come back.

- Josh

Having made that weekend trip many times this sounds like fun- we'd be up for it! If conditions allow, the cove is a great dive too (but parking is a pain)

Having made that weekend trip many times this sounds like fun- we'd be up for it! If conditions allow, the cove is a great dive too (but parking is a pain)

I looked around on SB and Dive Matrix for a list of upcoming Wrinkles Dive dates but couldn't find anything about it. I think I remember that they were held once a month and moved back and forth between San Diego and LA. They did Catalina Island a couple of times a year too. But I'm old and my memory isn't what it used to be. maybe I didn't spell it right.

I'm planning on making Josh's March 28th trip. Hope you guys can make it too.

Steve.

howdy Steve.... the name "wrinkles" was dropped to go with "SoCal Dive-In" ... here is the link for the monthly schedule: SoCal Dive-In Schedule for 2009 - The Dive Matrix Forums
Also there are plans for June 5-7th (weekend after LongBeach SCUBA show) Final info to come soon but here is the prelim info: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/socal/251892-invade-catalina-ideas-2009-a.html And here is our next planned boat trip: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/be...-28-dive-scubaboard-members-great-escape.html So if anyone wants to go north of LaJolla on the 28th you can spend Friday nite on the boat.
As always, anyone that wishes to join any event is welcomed to do so.
Hope to see you in the water someday!!!!

We've never done any Cali diving Nancy and I are interested but wondering what the diving is like and if it would be an appropriate dive site for her as a beginner OW diver.

We've never done any Cali diving Nancy and I are interested but wondering what the diving is like and if it would be an appropriate dive site for her as a beginner OW diver.

I'll give the no-so-helpful answer of... it depends on the conditions. If the surf isn't too bad, the diving is fine. The entry and exit are probably the most difficult part of the dive- but it can range from barely a splash to maybe we should go to Disneyland instead.

The shores can have a long surface swim if you want to drop in on the good stuff, but we've also dropped in under the water and found some good stuff right off the shore- bat rays, sheep crab, etc. Also, there are some shallower dives- like Marine Room which (based on conditions) are easy and have lots too see as well. If Nancy handles the lake fine, I'd say give it a shot. If you/she change your minds once there, at least you can enjoy San Diego!

I'm good to go on this one also. Right now I am leaning toward staying over Staurday night and driving home on Sunday.

Regards, Bill

Last edited:
I was also going to mention the ScubaBoard trip on March 28th up in Long Beach to Catalina on the Great Escape, dwaters beat me to it!!. :D
You can sleep on the boat the night before, boarding starts around 8pm on Fri night. We have done the GE two summers in a row and loved it. Nice big roomy boat and great food. YOu need to take your own tanks and weights though as they don't supply those.
We are thinking about driving out to dive either the Friday before or the Sunday after, to make a 2 day dive trip out of it. Maybe Friday in San Diego or Sunday in LA or Ventura as there are several boats going out. It would be awesome to meet some more SB regulars!

robin:D

Rob here is some great info about SoCal diving. There are some great links about many sites in the San Diego area. There are also some maps of the La Jolla area too. Here is the link a local San Diego diver gave me last year.

Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website

As far as the parking in the La Jolla cove area, well you have to time it exactly right or you'll be driving and driving around looking for a spot to parallel park along the road, and even then you may not find one. As for beginner ocean divers, like me, the La Jolla shores area is pretty good and has a parking lot. Just a long swim out on the surface though.

Here is the link about the Great Escape trip I noticed here on the scubaboards that is posted for this same date. March 28, Dive with ScubaBoard members on the Great Escape
This trip is posted here on the boards in a SoCal forum. I thought about it but would still love to just dive for free from the shores with other AZ divers I've seen around Lake Pleasant over the past year or so.

It looks like a few people are interested in going to San Diego that weekend. Maybe we'll plan a meet and sort of greet at the park then near La Jolla shores. I could bring an awning for shade, and a table and a water jug, and setup some sort of a meeting area at Kellogg Park.

Ok I just realized that my Great Escape link to their posting here on the scubaboards is not working. Don't worry they have a posting here on the boards but here is their website for any info about them if you want to go with them on that weekend.

Southern California Scuba Diving - Great Escape Dive Boat

I think I'll still go to Kellogg Park and dive at La Jolla shores this particular weekend Mar 28th. I might still want to go on their dive boat sometime though. THey have other dives on their calendar throughout the year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom