Day trip from Maui to Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adjuster-jd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be on Maui for 2 weeks this summer and would like to take the family to the big island to see the volcano.
Can anyone suggest a cheap way to do this? Normally I see interisland tickets for over $100 each - that's kinda pricey just for a day. Are there any cheap tickets?

Thanks.

go! just started new service between Kahului and Kona. $19 one-way Mar-April 07'

Might watch to see if they offer it again in summer - but I kind of doubt it since traffic will increase then.

http://www.iflygo.com/goSpecials.aspx

I bought tickets for two people round trip for under $100 total on Hawaiian Airlines.

I think there might be some helicopter trips that leave from Maui to go see the Big Island's volcano... maybe that would work better?

Of course, that doesn't help if you actually want to be on the ground... :)

Isn't the Super Ferry suppose to be up and running about then?

The Superferry won't be going to the Big Island 'til '09 at this point, and when it does it'll be strictly Oahu to the Big Island and back from what I understand. The channel between Maui and the Big Island is considered to be one of the more treacherous channels in the Pacific and is often difficult to cross.

friscuba:
The Superferry won't be going to the Big Island 'til '09 at this point, and when it does it'll be strictly Oahu to the Big Island and back from what I understand. The channel between Maui and the Big Island is considered to be one of the more treacherous channels in the Pacific and is often difficult to cross.
So... you'd have to pay for two fares -- one Maui -> Oahu, then one for Oahu -> Hawaii.

Not to mention that per-person fares on the Superferry are higher than anything I've seen on the inter-island airfares lately!

Back when they were first planning the ferry it was cheaper than flying, about half the cost. With the new air-carrier around, things have changed.

The main benefit of the Ferry, for locals, will be that you can take your car along and don't have to rent one...for divers it is self-explanatory :D

While it's technically possible to go over to the Big Island for a day, you'll be missing an awful lot. There's a reason it's called The Big Island :wink:

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is itself pretty much an entire day. Kilauea isn't exactly a "drive thru" volcano; when and where she's actively erupting, it's usually a good hike from the nearest parking area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom