Day 1 of Trip 6: Moon Jellies! (and an eating question)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deco_martini

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Haven't seen moon jellies on the island before. Saw several along with all the usual suspects.

What's new on the island since last year this time? Any new eats worth checking out?

Also, in 6 trips we haven't eaten asian (aside from sushi). There are a ton of hole-in-the-wall asian joints on the island. Are none of them worth skipping the normal routine of Capriccio's, pizza from Captain Don's (better than Pasa Bon, seriously), and other staples of a trip? What's the best asian on the island?

---------- Post added September 20th, 2015 at 07:37 PM ----------

Btw, moon jellies that get caught on the reef get swarmed by fire worms. Seeing that allowed me to see the fireworm opening its maw (creepy). These don't look like the atlantic moon jellies with the fine little tendrils around the rim.

Interesting. I've seen a couple of moon jellies on Bonaire before, but not substantial numbers. Neat observation about the fireworms.

Richard.

Deco-martini, based onthe short look at the first jelly in your video, I think that was a comb jelly of some sort, perhaps a walnut.

Deco-martini, based onthe short look at the first jelly in your video, I think that was a comb jelly of some sort, perhaps a walnut.

Wasn't my video. It was a saucer shaped jelly with what I call the "four condoms" in the middle. The tendrils and coloration were just off from what I've seen in the Bahamas.

Also, saw my first Bonaire slipper lobster on this trip. Gigantic. Surprised the locals haven't poached that big beautiful bastard. Looked to be a solid foot. It was in 8 feet of water, I won't say where.

The Moon jellies were the ones after the sun came up. Not the one in the dark.

We saw a lot of moon jellies this year, particularly along Buddy's and Bari Reefs:

Bonaire_2015_012.JPG

Bonaire_2015_011.JPG

Bonaire_2015_013.JPG

Bonaire_2015_014.JPG

I was kind of surprised to see the fish picking at them. Stealing a snack maybe?

Back
Top Bottom