• Yes!

Votes: 31 77.5%
  • No!

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Maybe!

Votes: 7 17.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a dive trip to Florida scheduled in July. This would be so awesome if we could dive her.

Twenty two miles offshore, does anyone know the bottom depth at this location ?

idive2:
Twenty two miles offshore, does anyone know the bottom depth at this location ?
I have heard that the bottom depth there is 210' - After looking at some plans for this type of carrier... it seems like the flight deck will be at a depth of around 110' ?

I think...

but like a shuttle launch, there could be minor hitches in the "countdown". I understand they are going to rig it with explosives in Pensacola and then tow it to sea, so they are not going to pull out of harbor until everything is just right in all aspects. May 15 is the date they will start looking for flat seas to start towing and it would surprise me if weather/seas are perfect at that moment. Don't be alarmed if they delay a few days or a week but I don't think they want it sitting in harbor longer than necessary with explosives onboard, even if the detonating circuits are not complete.

I'm willing to bet it'll be sunk in 2006, but not on the intended date. The first date for 2006 was May 15th. They've already resecheduled that for May 17th for example. But I'm doubting that it'll be sunk then also. I would guess easily it'll be a couple weeks late.

However, they want to sink it before the 2006 hurricane season starts, otherwise it might have to wait another year. But they've got all the required approvals now so that is a huge step.

As for the location of the sinking, the "Charted Depth" is around 225-230 feet, but the actual depth appears to be more like 215 or so (+/-) according to folks who have been out to the site to check it out.

I just hope it goes down "upright". if it's on it's side it' will be a very odd dive. I imagine that there will be some amount of settling in the sand also. It should put the flight deck about 130 feet.

I hope it goes down on time, this time. I've been waiting for this for far to long.

Anyone have a list of dive ops in the area that will be running trips out to the site? Maybe some that will be running tech trips as well? I'd like to get something set up as soon as possible and maybe avoid the mad rush after the sinking finally happens.

mike_s:
I'm willing to bet it'll be sunk in 2006, but not on the intended date. The first date for 2006 was May 15th. They've already resecheduled that for May 17th for example.

My understanding is that nothing has been rescheduled. The May 15 date is when they depart Pensacola and begin towing to the site, May 17 is when it goes down.

Padipro:
Anyone have a list of dive ops in the area that will be running trips out to the site?
I talked to Scuba Shack in Pensacola (http://www.scubashackpensacola.com/sdm.asp) last week and they're planing on running trips out to the Oriskany as soon as they can. Disclaimer: I've never dove with them so I don't have first hand knowledge of their operation. But I do have a friend who has dove with them and he liked them.

Luke

mike_s:
The first date for 2006 was May 15th. They've already resecheduled that for May 17th for example.

mike, not to be anal, but to be fair to the guys doing this, they will begin
towing her out of port on the 15th, get her in place, and sink her on the 17th
if all goes according to plan

given the depth, it will be an "advanced dive," which means the charters
will probalby ask for an AOW card minimum

is this a PADI conspiracy????

(just kidding)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom