Dark pictures in sea mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You didn't say but could you have it set to External flash and are not using the strobes? Not that I have done that.......:wink:

I take it you are not using an external flash ? check for that icon. if you don't have an external flash. Get one. Then you won't need to set it for sea mode just keep your iso low and fire some test shots to see where to set that strobe.

Try and shoot with low ISO settings like 100. The higher you go the more grain will show in your picture. Since your not using a srobe, use your flash and adjust EV to control the light. I am not familiar with your camera though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies so far!

The sea mode of the dc1200 is probably only useful when a lot of light is available. Pool is just too dark.
Here are 2 pictures taken of the pool:

taken with sea mode
3.jpg
]

taken with auto land mode
2.jpg

Underwater the pictures taken with sea mode were even darker than above.
The auto land mode did a much better job (with manual wb) :
PICT0442.JPG

Picture is quite blurry but at least the picture has decent exposure. Quality should increase when more light is available.

I do have the strobe and I'm using it. Getting nice pictures with it, but the flash is limited to a close area.
4.jpg

This is me btw :)

So does any1 know how to capture decent 'landscape' pictures using ambient light with this camera? From what I know the only way to adjust aparture/shutter speed is to use manual strobe mode...

Any more insights/tips appreciated.

I'm a little late, but I had a lot more luck using the snorkel mode when testing my DC1200 in a pool. Sea mode was too dark. I don't have an external strobe, though.

I'm a little late, but I had a lot more luck using the snorkel mode when testing my DC1200 in a pool. Sea mode was too dark. I don't have an external strobe, though.
I get nervous about task loading for a diver with less than 100 logged carrying a camera, but you need to get down in the ocean to really learn what works. An external strobe will help but don't rush into that at this point. Let's see if you hit 100 without drowning or losing the camera or yourself. Did you get an orange wrist strap?

I get nervous about task loading for a diver with less than 100 logged carrying a camera, but you need to get down in the ocean to really learn what works. An external strobe will help but don't rush into that at this point. Let's see if you hit 100 without drowning or losing the camera or yourself. Did you get an orange wrist strap?
I agree, however, this mitigates a few of the possible problems... like worrying about dropping the camera, or having it get in the way of other wrist mounted components. It stays tight and clipped until you undo the middle clip, and you're free to shoot, and still free to drop it if need be (without losing it)... the better mousetrap:

Princeton-Tec-Coil-Lanyard.jpg

Thanks for the concern. I'm not too worried about task loading (I'm quite well versed in water activities and high stress environments) but I'm also in no hurry. I don't have any plans to buy the external strobe and work on high quality photography yet. At this point I am mostly interested in capturing memories, not taking great photos. Once I get some more experience I'll start trying to get some better photo skills underwater.

I didn't buy the floaty strap but I have a leash for the camera and since it's positively bouyant, I'll settle with that for now.

Have you developed photo editing skills?
I didn't buy the floaty strap but I have a leash for the camera and since it's positively bouyant, I'll settle with that for now.
Hope the leash is secure as finding a floating, black camera at sea would be challenging.

Back
Top Bottom