Dark Narc or Why I don’t dive air to 100ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yknow, in a lot of the examples given, a lot of trouble was due to the fact that the narced divers were very worried about their buddies.

Plus at that depth when you're already narced, heaping your buddy's problems on yourself doesn't help. Yet another argument for solo diving I guess.

Nevermind, ignore me. I'm just talking out of my a$$ :D

The power of suggestion can be strong. I once read somewhere that the more a diver was told he would experience narcosis at so and so depth then it was more likely the diver reported symptoms of narcosis at that depth.

Captain, this is likely the study in question:

DAN Divers Alert Network : Anxiety: Is It A Contraindication to Diving?
"A simple thought or association can often start a chain reaction of thoughts:

"I have on too much weight — What if I sink too fast? — I could burst an eardrum — No one would be able to reach me in time — I could go to the bottom, and it drops to over 800 feet off the coral wall — I could be crushed — I’m going to drown — PANIC!"

"Interestingly, we can “talk ourselves into” feeling more anxious over a given situation. Expectation, negative imagery, worrying all can trick us into experiencing a situation more negatively than we should, usually before the situation is even encountered."

"Author Bret Gilliam described a 1965 study conducted by Tom Mount, a pioneer in U.S. cave diving, and Dr. Gilbert Milner. They studied the effects of “anticipated behavior modeling” with respect to perceived and observed (subjective vs. objective) effects and the probability of experiencing nitrogen narcosis."

"In this experiment, three groups of divers received information regarding the topic of nitrogen narcosis:

* Group 1 was told that there was a high probability of experiencing the effects of nitrogen narcosis — in fact, they were told that everyone experienced severe symptoms at 130 feet / 40 meters.
* Individuals in Group 2 were informed that there was such a state as nitrogen narcosis, but that this was relatively rare and only a few people experienced symptoms at depth.
* The final group received a lecture regarding the recognition of symptoms, risks and dangers, but were told that persons with a strong will were able to resist and / or overcome symptoms of narcosis."

"In test dives between 130 and 240 feet (40 and 73 meters), the group who expected to experience symptoms of narcosis actually experienced these symptoms with greater frequency and severity than did persons in the other groups."

I have found that diving for example the same wreck in up to 150 ft of cold darkish water produces varying amounts of narcosis depending on my state of mind, how recently I was diving, how well rested I am, how cold I am, etc. And if I've been diving all through the winter, then my first deep boat dive after the ice is gone is less likely to provide a strong narcosis than if I'd stayed out of the water from January to May.

Last edited:
Good Story, hey at least you only got paranoid and did not freak out. Paranoia is not always a bad thing. it keeps you alive at depth. well as long as you can read your gauges. I dive air past 100 quite often and have gone as far as 175 on air so far. I also get paranoia, constant monitoring of depth and pressure is a good thing when you are at 5 to 6 ATM's.

Workhorse, the first part about what "will happen if"....is not my experience, it's part of the quote from the DAN website on anxiety and diving.

Never been Narc'd, but your story helps. I now know other things that I can expect if it ever happends to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom