DAN's Coverage Limitations for Trimix Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil K.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A recent flury of email exchanges on the GUE.com network expressed a great deal of confusion about whether or not a standard DAN insurance policy excludes dives on trimix under a special "technical diving" exclusion. JJ ultimately contacted senior management at DAN and summarized the coverage limitations as follows:

The is no "technical diving" exclusion under the policy; however, there are special policy limits for any insured that engages in "technical diving," which includes any dive on Trimix to a depth of more than 50 meters (164 ft).

1. Diving with a normoxic Trimix mixture to depths not more than 50 meters (typically, to
reduce END) does not fall under the "technical diving" definition and is covered.

2. Diving with Trimix to a depth of more than 50 meters but less than 130 meters (426 ft) is considered "technical diving," but is covered by DAN as long as the PPO2 does not exceed 1.4 ATA and the PPN2 stays below 3.95 ATA.

3. For dives deeper then 130 meters, DAN must pre-approve the dive, which will be based on the results of a questionnaire you will be asked to complete and a copy of the dive plan.

I doubt many of us will ever seriously plan a dive that would exceed 130 meters (426 ft). However, many will plan dives that exceed 50 meters. In that case, to maintain coverage we'll need a Trimix mixture that does not allow PPO2 to exceed 1.4 ATA or PPN2 to exceed 3.95 ATA, which are more or less the safe recreational limits. There are divers who feel that a PPO2 of 1.6 ATA can be tolerated under certain circumstances and they may have enough experience to make this determination about there individual oxygen tolerance. That's a whole separate debate. But, as a practical matter, unless you don't have DAN coverage, or don't care about losing coverage if you do, you should keep dives where you allow PPO2 to creep above 1.4 ATA to 50 meters or less.

Phil K.:
A recent flury of email exchanges on the GUE.com network expressed a great deal of confusion about whether or not a standard DAN insurance policy excludes dives on trimix under a special "technical diving" exclusion. JJ ultimately contacted senior management at DAN and summarized the coverage limitations as follows:

The is no "technical diving" exclusion under the policy; however, there are special policy limits for any insured that engages in "technical diving," which includes any dive on Trimix to a depth of more than 50 meters (164 ft).

1. Diving with a normoxic Trimix mixture to depths less than 50 meters (typically, to
reduce END) does not fall under the "technical diving" definition and is covered.

2. Diving with Trimix to a depth of more than 50 meters but less than 130 meters (426 ft) is considered "technical diving," but is covered by DAN as long as the PPO2 does not exceed 1.4 ATA and the PPN2 stays below 3.95 ATA.

3. For dives deeper then 130 meters, DAN must pre-approve the dive, which will be based the results of a questionnaire you will be asked to complete and a copy of the dive plan.

I doubt many of us will ever seriously plan a dive that would exceed 130 meters (426 ft). However, many will plan dives that exceed 50 meters. In that case, to maintain coverage we'll need a Trimix mixture that does not allow PPO2 to exceed 1.4 ATA or PPN2 to exceed 3.95 ATA, which are more or less the safe recreational limits. There are divers who feel that a PPO2 of 1.6 ATA can be tolerated for under certain circumstances and they may have enough experience to make this determination about there individual oxygen tolerance. That's a whole separate debate. But, as a practical matter, unless you don't have DAN coverage, or don't care about losing coverage if you do, you should keep dives where you allow PPO2 to creep above 1.4 ATA to 50 meters or less.
Does this PPO2 limitation include decompression?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Phil K.:
The PPO2 limitation applies only to the portion of the dive below 50 meters. Should be a nonissue for decompression.
Thanks ... that's what I figured, just wanted clarification ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Phil K.:

1. Diving with a normoxic Trimix mixture to depths not more than 50 meters (typically, to

3. For dives deeper then 130 meters, DAN must pre-approve the dive, which will be based on the results of a questionnaire you will be asked to complete and a copy of the dive plan.

I doubt many of us will ever seriously plan a dive that would exceed 130 meters (426 ft). However, many will plan dives that exceed 50 meters. In that case, to maintain coverage we'll need a Trimix mixture that does not allow PPO2 to exceed 1.4 ATA or PPN2 to exceed 3.95 ATA, which are more or less the safe recreational limits. There are divers who feel that a PPO2 of 1.6 ATA can be tolerated under certain circumstances and they may have enough experience to make this determination about there individual oxygen tolerance. That's a whole separate debate. But, as a practical matter, unless you don't have DAN coverage, or don't care about losing coverage if you do, you should keep dives where you allow PPO2 to creep above 1.4 ATA to 50 meters or less.
Did anyone look this up in their DAN handbook or talk to DAN? I thought the discussion was about DANEurope. I thought they were somewhat different entities with different rules. I would like to be sure that this pertains to US divers as well...

Thanks,
Chris

There are no special limits on ppO2 nor END in their US policies. Nor special rules for really deep dives. They are trying to add this crap after the fact. Damned cheats!

Master Plan
For only an additional $35 per year includes:

$125,000 (maximum lifetime benefit) coverage for all covered in-water skin and scuba diving injuries occurring at any depth+, plus up to $15,000 in accidental death and dismemberment benefits resulting from a covered diving illness or injury++, and up to $15,000 in permanent total disability benefits resulting from a diving illness or injury++ incurred at any depth.

No limitations above and there are none here either: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/handbook.pdf

EDIT: here are the footnotes
"+ DAN coverage is secondary coverage. After any other coverage you may have, DAN pays up to 100 percent of reasonable and customary costs of all remaining eligible expenses.

++ This benefit pays for accidental death and dismemberment or permanent total disability caused directly by scuba diving independent of all other causes."

rjack321:
There are no special limits on ppO2 nor END in their US policies. Nor special rules for really deep dives. They are trying to add this crap after the fact. Damned cheats!

No limitations above and there are none here either: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/handbook.pdf

EDIT: here are the footnotes

DAN is a secondary insurer. The real answer is to make sure you have good primary insurance which, depending on your insurer, will typically pay 80%. Getting DAN to pick up the remaining 20% the one time I had to use them took almost 2 years and that was for a single chamber ride and one follow up test. While I still carry DAN master insurance, it is for the most part not very useful since I would rather pay the difference myself instead of dealing with collecting from them again.

RTodd:
DAN is a secondary insurer. The real answer is to make sure you have good primary insurance which, depending on your insurer, will typically pay 80%. Getting DAN to pick up the remaining 20% the one time I had to use them took almost 2 years and that was for a single chamber ride and one follow up test. While I still carry DAN master insurance, it is for the most part not very useful since I would rather pay the difference myself instead of dealing with collecting from them again.
My experience was very different ... between DAN and my primary insurer (Regence Blue Shield) I didn't pay a dime ... in fact, I never even saw a bill. I didn't even know how much the chamber ride cost until my insurance company sent me a benefits statement. DAN covered everything my primary insurance didn't ... no hassles, no excuses.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
My experience was very different ... between DAN and my primary insurer (Regence Blue Shield) I didn't pay a dime ... in fact, I never even saw a bill. I didn't even know how much the chamber ride cost until my insurance company sent me a benefits statement. DAN covered everything my primary insurance didn't ... no hassles, no excuses.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Same-same. Free ride, no hassle. Even got a tee shirt and a squeeze water bottle from the chamber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom