Dangerous Crossing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kathy - thanks for posting. Sounds like Kevin was pretty awesome getting everyone some flotation from the sinking boat.

Regardless of whether this boat was or wasn't at some point a glass bottomed boat, it still sounds like it experienced a catastrophic hull failure to "go down by the stern" so quickly. This wasn't just a crack or split in the fiberglass, it sounds like something much more serious.

Glad everyone is alive to tell the tale :)

Kathy, thank you so much for telling us about your horrible experience. Many of us would like to be supportive of your recovery, and talking things out does help, but this thread has a toxic element to it - so I understand if you don't feel like talking here. I am so glad that Kevin risked it all to grab those BCs, you had your phone, and everything else that lead to a happy rescue.

Deep, it sounds like the stern was overwhelmed by a wave. Those Panagas are not built with added buoyancy.

Deep, it sounds like the stern was overwhelmed by a wave. Those Panagas are not built with added buoyancy.

Assuming they stayed on minimum planing speed, waves shouldn't be coming over the stern. Her story made it sound like they went down in the stern and then a wave swamped them.

Assuming they stayed on minimum planning speed, waves shouldn't be coming over the stern. Her story made it sound like they went down in the stern and then a wave swamped them.
Oh, I've had waves come over the stern when I slowed down our family's ski boat quickly, like I might for hitting waves. I am not an experienced boater, but I have experienced stern waves. There could be more to it, but I don't think we have the info here - nor are likely to receive it in this atmosphere.

And since details are secondary...Yes it was a beautiful day to dive here in Cozumel today.. Got a bit of sun..

Of course now from a WITNESS we have a report that includes no improper crew action, but instead a boat failure. Hence the focus should return to what happened to the boat.

I never implied there was any improper crew action except for the fact the trip was attempted at all but whatever. Kudos to Kev for his retrieval of all that equipment and staying calm in a bad situation. No doubt his efforts probably helped save lives. We could go back to focusing on the boat failure part as soon as someone wants to confirm more than we know already. I look forward to a proper and full account of the topic at hand.

So was it an old glass bottom boat or what?

I am not sure we will ever know, with the discussion on renaming another boat and fiberglassing over and what-not.

And since details are secondary...Yes it was a beautiful day to dive here in Cozumel today.. Got a bit of sun..

Okay, I don't like you for the next three minutes. :depressed:

Assuming they stayed on minimum planing speed, waves shouldn't be coming over the stern. Her story made it sound like they went down in the stern and then a wave swamped them.

Let's see.......9 people....gear.....tanks......etc...... overloaded....no way?

Let's just clear it up before it goes on for 3 pages -

1) a following sea isn't going to sink the boat in 15 seconds.

2 )With a sinking boat and a choppy sea, waves are going to come over whichever part of the boat is lowest in the water.

3)
we went down in the stern and took in a huge wave

We went down in the stern.... and took a huge wave (no description of where the wave came in on the boat.

4)
Let's see.......9 people....gear.....tanks......etc...... overloaded....no way?

No way.

Reactions: Jax
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom