Dangerous Crossing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overloaded for a local dive trip to Cozumel reefs maybe not.......
Overloaded for a crossing that may develop high seas? Way possible.....WAY WAY possible......and likely......

It is nice to hear that the boat stayed accessible to a least one person for enough time to get flotation devices. Previous "reports" I read were interpreted by me (possibly incorrectly) that it sank completely and continued downward in a short period of time (one minute or less).

Overloaded for a crossing that may develop high seas? Way possible.....WAY WAY possible......and likely......

Seems like this was the essence of the first post or another thread recently. The choice of boat may have been risky and odds caught up with it this trip.

Thank you for posting Kathy. It sounds like all of you were very brave in a tough situation. Apparently Kevin went above and beyond and helped save lives. Honestly, I don't care to have a place to put any kind of blame. It does not matter much to me. I am just happy the end result was that all survived the ordeal.

They say patience is a virtue. There are 9 survivors and that is great! About the boat... Can you say Nora Gabriella? It's amazing what a paint job a motor and a new name can get you. Apparently it gets you a permit (not legally but the impression of a permit). I have been on the Nora (yes, the real name of the boat that sunk) a number of times. I have dove with the crew off of Villa Blanca a number of times (every year at least once, usually twice for the past 5 years) and the Nora was a glass bottom boat (conveniently enough with a converted holding tank for fish... yes glass). It appears as though the hull of the glass bottom boat gave way and likely the reason why it sank so fast.

I'm surprised we haven't heard from Kevin since he was so quick to report the last tragic incident and insisted on how important it was to hear from the survivors involved. I do think that there is much to be learned. One thing to be learned it, as a diver, you should know who you were diving with and what equipment is being used including the boat. I admit that I have been guilty of trusting the shop regardless of location (this last year Cozumel, Key Largo, Phuket and the Bahamas to name a few).

Cozumel is a great dive location with good people. We have always had good experiences there and that is why we go back and will be there again in about a month. That being said, if you feel uncomfortable with the dive shop or ops, don't go! Glass bottom boats should not make the trip accross the channel and most are aware of this. Again, I'm thankful that all survived and wish them the best of luck. Safe dive and lots of air to all!!!

Thank God all are safe! Kevin and Kathy..........way to go keeping your act together.

One thing to be learned it, as a diver, you should know who you were diving with and what equipment is being used including the boat. I admit that I have been guilty of trusting the shop regardless of location (this last year Cozumel, Key Largo, Phuket and the Bahamas to name a few)!

Not specifically related to this incident but we recently had dive boat boat sink with a fatality here in Key Largo. Afterward we found out the vessel was formerly a USCG inspected vessel rated for 12 divers but had failed its last inspection. Rather than make repairs, it seems they put the boat back into service as an uninspected six-pack. The inspection failure was due to a hole and delamination of the fiberglass hull below the water line.

I think it's safe to say that one will have litigation attached.

It appears as though the hull of the glass bottom boat gave way and likely the reason why it sank so fast.

I totally agree .........too bad others are so insistent on defending such a pathetically dangerous dive shop.
I'm surprised we haven't heard from Kevin since he was so quick to report the last tragic incident and insisted on how important it was to hear from the survivors involved.

Surprised? I second that................................................

No, as much as you'd like to believe it but, you're barking up the wrong tree.

A boat's capacity is it's capacity, if it's within it's capacity there is no bearing on the weather or sea conditions, that is exactly why the capacity is determined.

In the United States for example the Coast Guard could go by what is called the Manufacturer's Capacity Rating, which is an actual plate mounted on the boat and easily visible. It would state the capacity of the boat in people and in weight.

Boat-capacity-plate-decal-replica.jpg

Conditions come into play in regard to the boat size itself. Capacity for a dingy could be 2 people. 3 people is over loaded no matter the conditions, 2 people is not. A 60 foot yawl might be at capacity at 12 people. Both can be within capacity, but you shouldn't have a dingy out in a gale with 40 kt winds and 8ft seas, while the yawl is just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom