Dangerous Crossing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, was hoping to not have to respond, but as someone on the boat in question that sank, you all need facts, fine, here are the facts. 1st let me say, I met many of you in the past, I have more dives in cozumel than likely any of you, and am an intelligent person who tries NOT to risk my life needlessly. So, here goes:
Thanks for sharing
So, these are the facts, they are true, I was there. I cannot bear to even read scubaboard anymore, people spouting off what they have no knowledge of, hurting people with no conscience at all.

That's it. Please think twice (or three times) how your negative comments hurt both the industry, mexico and those of us who are dealing with the incredible emotions of whaat we have survived.
You have my emphathy.

Is it a fact that a dive op must notify the Cozumel Port Authority before crossing the channel to the mainland?

I think dan volkers halcyon dive raft should be mandatory and strapped on all divers bellies when crossing the channel to dive bull sharks(although I do not know if a "BULL" Shark is attracted to bright red or orange colors). Problem solved and every one onboard has a boat when the charter boat sinks.

I wonder where the old Livingunderwater/Aldora 11 is now and that was, until recently, rotting in the jungle. If it were to be examined, it could perhaps confirm what was NOT at the bottom of the channel.

Is it a fact that a dive op must notify the Cozumel Port Authority before crossing the channel to the mainland?
Any time I have crossed, the port authority has been radioed and permission requested. So I assume that would be true and the captain isn't doing this for any other reason than that he is supposed to.

Excellent point MMM. Supposedly it (the prior Aldora II) is in the vicinity of the caleta. No doubt I have been on that boat many years ago.

Or the english link here as the article has more than was posted. Kudos to Por Esto for all the info...

Google Translate

Wow!!! This may be worse than the Key Largo op whose boat went down(Business practices)

I don't know a lot about boats, but I am finding all the boats in question to be a bit different from each other.

1st photo - I'm trying to compare the Nora Gabriela (photo shot in 2011) to the Livingunderwater boat on Mau's FB page and they look quite different. The Nora Gabriela was in operation last summer (I shot this photo from La Hach) so I'm a bit confused as to why it was put to rest and appeared as the Livingunderwater.

2nd photo - Then I'm trying to compare the the Aldora II to the boat photo on Mau's FB page and they also look quite different. I'm really confused about the boats! Someone help me out here.

Attachments

• Scuba Mau Boat Comparison.jpg
    Scuba Mau Boat Comparison.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Scuba Mau (Aldora II) Boat Comparison.jpg
    Scuba Mau (Aldora II) Boat Comparison.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 133
I don't know a lot about boats, but I am finding all the boats in question to be a bit different from each other.

1st photo - I'm trying to compare the Nora Gabriela (photo shot in 2011) to the Livingunderwater boat on Mau's FB page and they look quite different. The Nora Gabriela was in operation last summer (I shot this photo from La Hach) so I'm a bit confused as to why it was put to rest and appeared as the Livingunderwater.

2nd photo - Then I'm trying to compare the the Aldora II to the boat photo on Mau's FB page and they also look quite different. I'm really confused about the boats! Someone help me out here.

The Nora Gabriela and the boat being painted on Mau's FB look exactly the same to me. Appears he had it repainted and changed the number on it to a Living Underwater Vessel number. I also have a pic of the Nora Gabriela from last year.
Is the pic of the beat-up boat from the caletta the one who's number was switched to the former Nora Gabriela? mau.jpg

Hard to understand from the translation.

the pictures I saw from the news articles showed all involved walking off the naval vessel, laughing and hugging

That's entirely normal behavior after someone has been rescued, practically irrespective of the whatever shape one's in.

Like I said above I don't think that is the case here......I might be wrong but I don't think so.

I'd be surprised if you have any ability at all to diagnose anyone's medical condition from newspaper photographs. I know I don't, and I've actually been to medical school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom