DAN vs. Dive Assure for dive and travel insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right. Do I want an arbitrary insurance company person talking to my doctor about my DCS, or a DAN medic/doctor interceding for me?

Are you sure that it would be an "arbitrary insurance company person"?
Do you think that the same wouldn't intercede on your behalf?
Do you think that an insurance company person would be too damn stupid to seek the advice of a undersea and hyperbaric medicine professional if needed, and thereby expose themselves to great liability?
I know DAN does an exceptional marketing job, but have they convinced you to answer yes, no, and yes, to the above?
If that's the case, they're even better than I thought.

Please remember than DAN provides more than just insurance; they also talk to your doctors/medics and act as your advocate.
If you have a DCS problem, DAN absolutely wins on balance.
If you are only talking travel insurance, then the game is wide-open to much more thatn DAN and Dive Assure.
Okay thank you. I have been a DAN member for 18+ years, I should know better the details. I am fortunate at never having to use a benefit. So best plan may be DAN for dive and Dive Assure or something else - I'll like at insuremytrip too - for travel/COVID stuff.

Are you sure that it would be an "arbitrary insurance company person"?
Do you think that the same wouldn't intercede on your behalf?
Do you think that an insurance company person would be too damn stupid to seek the advice of a undersea and hyperbaric medicine professional if needed, and thereby expose themselves to great liability?
I know DAN does an exceptional marketing job, but have they convinced you to answer yes, no, and yes, to the above?
If that's the case, they're even better than I thought.
Yes, DAN is better than you thought.

I have used iinsuremytrip, and purchased policies from them, however I find -- Travel Insurance - Compare and Buy | Squaremouth easier to use and navigate. There is a great deal of overlap between the two sites and their offerings.
One good thing about the DAN travel insurance is that it does not discriminate against older folks, unlike some that Squaremouth covers.

When I look at the Dive Assure travel plan, it looks like it covers both travel and for diving, am I missing something?
You're right, the Dive Assure covers travel, but it's not as comprehensive as a regular travel policy. It does not include coverage for baggage delays or loss, trip interruption, and the non-diving medical coverage is a bit low, in my opinion. If you were to need a helicopter evacuation for a non-diving event, the coverage by Dive Assure may not be enough.

Pro Tip: I always date my coverage window to end the day after my scheduled return, just in case I have delays in returning home. Sometimes I'll even add two days for very far-away destinations.

Yes, DAN is better than you thought.
I have had to make a claim on my DAN policy a couple of times and they were outstanding in their performance. From my initial call, I was directed where to go for treatment right away. When I returned home, I submitted the claim form with the receipts and received full reimbursement in less than a month.

I have also called the DAN medicine doctors on occasion just to ask questions about dive medicine and they are more than happy to take the time to talk to you.

Back
Top Bottom