DAN vs. Dive Assure for dive and travel insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janie88

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I've been looking into insurance for going to Cozumel later in the summer. I talked to someone at DAN who was not very pleasant (not that it matters but still annoying) and kept telling me my insurance would only be covered for COVID if it fell within the timeframe of my trip - would not include paying for any additional stay necessary to quarantine if my purchased insurance fell outside the dates. Which of course it would, since I'd be buying insurance for a specific week.

My question is: "If my husband and I are in Cozumel for the week, leaving on Saturday, and one of us tests positive on Thursday, are we covered for having to stay and quarantine."

I thought I was specific and clear. The guy kept saying "well if it interrupts your trip then it could be covered" It's not the interrupting of a trip I'm most interested in, it is the POST TRIP quarantine stay I am wondering about. I asked the guy, well if I purchased insurance for THREE weeks instead of one week? and he thought about it and said, "well maybe. I guess." well "I guess" doesn't really work for me,.

Dive Assure looks like it cover this event. And covers dive accidents/emergencies.

So...I've always had DAN, but am thinking of switching to Dive Assure. Anybody out there think Dive Assure is a good plan? And is having it as PRIMARY better? It pays first that way, so it sounds better. Sorry, this insurance stuff is very confusing and hard to wrap my head around.

I have also had the same experience speaking with DAN reps. They can be quite terse. I think of DAN as my primary dive insurance provider and seek travel insurance from another provider. Dive Assure is expensive, in my opinion, compared to DAN, but it is good for liveaboard diving. For land-based diving, I stick with DAN for dive-related coverage. I have the Guardian plan. My health insurance doesn't cover me outside the U.S., so I always buy travel insurance. There is a great consolidated marketplace that I use to search for travel insurance, kind of like the Expedia for travel insurance, www.insuremytrip.com. You can find a plan that fits your needs by using tick boxes, then it gives you a listing of all the providers and their AM Best ratings.

Many of the resorts in Cozumel are offering deeply discounted hotel rates should you test positive before returning to the U.S. and need to quarantine.

best advise is to read the policy terms. don't trust what anyone tells you verbally. it means nothing. get your answers in writing.
if DAN reps cannot provide an answer in writing, maybe you could get that info directly from whichever insurance company is underwriting the policy. at the very least they should be able to point out which clauses in the policy will answer your questions.

Anybody out there think Dive Assure is a good plan? And is having it as PRIMARY better?

That’s what I have as Primary. It has COVID-19 rider that DAN doesn’t. I also have DAN dive accident. My health insurance also would cover overseas sickness.

I may be over insured, but it’s better than under uninsured, especially being in overseas during this pandemic situation.

I live in NY and traveling to the Keys August 11-15th...I tried to get travel insurance through Dive Assure and it won't even let me get a quote....I don't think they insure people from NY?????
I tried to get dive insurance just now through Dive assurance and the website said they aren't providing dive insurance for people in the United States??? What am I missing??

I live in NY and traveling to the Keys August 11-15th...I tried to get travel insurance through Dive Assure and it won't even let me get a quote....I don't think they insure people from NY?????
I tried to get dive insurance just now through Dive assurance and the website said they aren't providing dive insurance for people in the United States??? What am I missing??
Dive Assure does not cover diving in the US...it is for international trips.

my insurance would only be covered for COVID if it fell within the timeframe of my trip - would not include paying for any additional stay necessary to quarantine if my purchased insurance fell outside the dates. Which of course it would, since I'd be buying insurance for a specific week.

Buy two additional weeks of coverage.

Hi, I've been looking into insurance for going to Cozumel later in the summer. I talked to someone at DAN who was not very pleasant (not that it matters but still annoying) and kept telling me my insurance would only be covered for COVID if it fell within the timeframe of my trip - would not include paying for any additional stay necessary to quarantine if my purchased insurance fell outside the dates. Which of course it would, since I'd be buying insurance for a specific week.

My question is: "If my husband and I are in Cozumel for the week, leaving on Saturday, and one of us tests positive on Thursday, are we covered for having to stay and quarantine."

I thought I was specific and clear. The guy kept saying "well if it interrupts your trip then it could be covered" It's not the interrupting of a trip I'm most interested in, it is the POST TRIP quarantine stay I am wondering about. I asked the guy, well if I purchased insurance for THREE weeks instead of one week? and he thought about it and said, "well maybe. I guess." well "I guess" doesn't really work for me,.

Dive Assure looks like it cover this event. And covers dive accidents/emergencies.

So...I've always had DAN, but am thinking of switching to Dive Assure. Anybody out there think Dive Assure is a good plan? And is having it as PRIMARY better? It pays first that way, so it sounds better. Sorry, this insurance stuff is very confusing and hard to wrap my head around.
If you do 2-3 trips a year, then get the DAN Annual Travel insurance for about the same price as individual policies....and then you covered for 52 weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom