DAN Insurance thoughts on your choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fa4bb830edba9084b257cbfe556b4b57.jpg

This ride paid for my DAN insurance for the next 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A rookie question: how many dives do you do a year before DAN should be considered? A week diving holiday in a year? Weekly dive in the local water?Thanks!

---------- Post added August 5th, 2015 at 10:18 AM ----------

Also, many travel insurance plans don't exclude diving accident as long as it's recreational dive. Would it be unreasonable to take out only travel insurance?

One dive is all it takes. DCI can be very fickle. Most out of country chambers don't want to see your health or travel insurance cards. All they want to see is a MasterCard or the universally accepted DAN Card.

One dive is all it takes. DCI can be very fickle. Most out of country chambers don't want to see your health or travel insurance cards. All they want to see is a MasterCard or the universally accepted DAN Card.

It WAS either DAN or plastic in Maldives. US$5,000.00 for 1 session. Situation might have changed now.

After calling for a consult via satphone from the livaboard and getting through to an actual person who consulted on my condition I was glad of two things it wasn't going to need further treatment or evacuation and second it was worth every penny.

I currently have Preferred and will upgrade to Guardian since I was not diving much this spring/summer. My son is in the process of getting his OW and I will add him at the Guardian level. Luckily (knock on wood! :bonk:) I have not needed it. But, as others have stated when you do it is worth every penny and more.

Safe diving!

fa4bb830edba9084b257cbfe556b4b57.jpg

This ride paid for my DAN insurance for the next 30 years.

Sold. Air evacuation isn't a far-fetched notion at all if you're diving anywhere off the beaten path, which is probably most of us at one time or another. I've been at the Master level all these years and that suddenly seems like such a dumb choice, considering. I'm upgrading to Guardian since I've got a liveaboard trip coming in a couple months. Thanks for making me think.

I have master, which here in NY is the middle one. Wouldn't leave home (dive) with out it. $35 to join and $40 bucks a year for insurance compared to $100,00 in medical bills, is a no brainier .

Hey there,

please excuse my kinda noop questions ;-) but we are just in the process of moving to the US and not used to this whole insurance system... Me and my wife have been covered by DAN for years and knock on wood never needed it except for a minor ear issue. However looking at the plans, to me seems a bit awkward... I know they are only secondary but what they cover for a Texas resident with 250k seems to me rather low, is that usually enough to cover everything that makes mediacally sense and therefore more than medically necessary, as your regular health insurance will pay for the rest? People reporting about only $35,- out of their own pocket, does that mean DAN covers for the coinsurance in case of a diving incident?

Has anyone signed with DAN Europe? They seem to be able to insure US residents with the unlimited coverage on a diving incident as primary insurance as we are used to from Europe and Asia Pacific... They pay for what medically makes sense not only is necessary... The US

Any recommendations hints tips much welcome!

Cheers

Chris

Back
Top Bottom