Dan Grenier lost at sea.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saildiver:
.The focus is now a few uninhabited islands in the Yasawas near where Danielle's BC and tank with reg attached, was found.No signs of shark involvement,and the BC and tank may have been dumped in order to get over the reef there(or other possibilities abound)..Godwilling...Saildiver.

Since nearly everyone that is on this board feels diving is near and dear to us, we all are praying for a safe return. I, like UnderwaterDaphne was surprised to hear that a tank was found. This we hope is a good sign, that perhaps they were in good enough physical shape to take it off and this is a signal that they are in the area. One can tell by the hits on this site that many people are watching the out come of this incident. Each day I have checked this site for updates.
I think we all appreciate any good news.
All the best,
Caymanaic

saildiver:
The search has picked up steam since yesterday.The focus is now a few uninhabited islands in the Yasawas near where Danielle's BC and tank with reg attached, was found.No signs of shark involvement,and the BC and tank may have been dumped in order to get over the reef there(or other possibilities abound).But it did require the efforts of a dive resort in the Yasawas and sending more money outtoday from the states for gas.The search is also going focus on the coast of Viti Levu across from the Yasawas.Keep positive and lets not get divided.No one Knows how this will turn out yet.Only a united response will help bring them home to thier families.Godwilling...Saildiver.

I note the news about the psychic, the reward and the found gear. Thanks to those who have taken time to post it.

I know and care about Dan and his family and have great respect for his abilities as a diver. I also agree that this is not the time or place for petty arguments about who did what and where. I don't know that it will ever be the time for that, though it's inevitable. Nor is it the time to criticize or review Dan's actions for mistakes he may or may not have made. That time will come, regardless of outcome.

With the Yawawas about 60-80 miles distant from Nananu-I-Ra (I'm not sure where their divesite was in relation to Nananu-I-Ra) and the water temps in that region and at that time of year in the mid-70's, it's difficult to imagine a scenario whereby Dan and Danielle could have survived such a crossing. If anyone has ever been in 72 deg water for 2-3 hours in a full wetsuit as I have, you know that you start shivering uncontrollably after a couple hours. Physical exertion will help with the shivering, but it also "burns" out your resources needed to fight off the cold. I can't imagine someone surviving a single day in those conditions, let alone several.

That said, people have survived amazing tests of their endurance and perhaps Dan and Danielle discarded their equipment early on to swim for a distant island somewhere close to Nananu-I-Ra, so I won't say that I know they are dead. Just that it's likely. Their only hope was to quickly get onto dry land. I hope they are found alive, hungry and cold, but alive.

I agree with Doc that it's just very, very sad.

JoeL

We, as a dive store in California, have taken numerous groups to Fiji, and have always either begun or ended our trip with a week at Marlin Bay Resort. We have nothing but the highest praise for George Taylor, his partner Nils, and all their staff, who have always taken wonderful care of our groups. Their attention to detail in the building, furnishing, and running of the resort has been amazing, and I'm sure that Bamboo Beach must be unique, as well. Their dive operation at Marlin Bay has always been top notch.

May 2003 we began our trip at Marlin Bay and ended with a week of diving the Bligh waters with Dan Grenier, and his dive operation was also a class act. Our group of 30 divers ranged from novice to very experienced, and although we were the biggest group Dan had ever had at that time (he didn't tell us that until the end), he handled it with aplomb. He and his Crystal Divers staff were the absolute best -- very personable and very competent. Bamboo Beach Resort was under construction at that time and not open for business, however George and Nils bussed our group to Wananavu Resort and brought up their biggest dive boat for our group to use, under Dan's guidance, as Dan's boat was fast but too small for all of us. This is an example of the extra mile George and Nils would go, to accommodate their customers.

We traded around, with Dan's boat running to the Bligh waters and the bigger boat staying closer to Nananu-I-Ra. Dan was so knowledgeable and took such good care of everyone, and the diving was truly beautiful. His safety procedures, in sometimes very challenging dive conditions, were exemplary, and we all had a fantastic time. Dan, Linda and Alisi had us all to their home for a barbeque, and showed us so much warm hospitality. We are all so sorry to hear that Dan and his dive companion are missing, and hope so much that they will be found alive and well.

When people are stressed and upset they can say things that they later regret, or things that might be misinterpreted by others who are also upset. George and Dan are friends who respect each other, and have been trying to run a complicated business together. Accidents just happen sometimes... always have and always will. Everyone please hold a good thought for Dan and Danielle, and drop those negative thoughts about fault and blame -- they drain the positive effect from the good thoughts...

Our profound sympathy and best wishes go out to all those inolved in this tragic incident. Sincerely, Jack and Laurie Kuhn

mderousse:
I just recieved a disturbing phone call from a mutual friend of Dan Grenier Crystal Divers Fiji. Dan and his childrens' 20 year old nanny were diving with a group of four from the Bamboo Reef Resort. Dan and the nanny did a drift dive while the others dove the reef. The idea was the boat captain, his wife Alisi, would pick them up on the other side of the reef. They haven't been seen since. the bottom has been thoroughly searched, and air search is continuing now, but it has been over 50 hours. Hoping for a happy ending.

This is Dan's 'Aunty Lyn' from the early Crystal Divers. If anyone needs to contact me re the above, while I am still in Fiji call on 679-8813901 or e-mail me at nukubati@connect.com.fj

DocVikingo:
Received this yesterday.

"Subj: Dan Grenier lost
Date: 9/2/2004 6:19:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time
To: Ben Davidson , Brandon Cole ,David Gamach , David Miller ,Robert Persons

We apologise for this way of advising you all.

Dan Grenier, whom you all know, has been missing at sea - as of today 48 hours. We have numerous planes and boats out searching and we have not given up hope and will continue the search for a while yet.

Desperately need donations to keep the search alive. Any assistance is appreciated.

Please call on Fiji 679 6694747

Lynette Mercer
Mike Agnew
Alesi Grenier.

Please pass this on to all his dive buddies. We cant find his address book. Thanks"

Received this today:

"Mother joins search for missing daughter in Fiji
Friday, 3 September 2004

The mother of a NSW far south coast woman missing overseas while skindiving is flying to Fiji today to join in the search for her daughter.

Janice Gibbons learnt on Tuesday that her daughter, Danielle, 27, was missing while learning how to dive near the large southern island of Viti Levu.

Mrs Gibbons says Danielle and the dive master were dropped off at one end of a reef by the dive boat.

When the two divers failed to return to the boat, a search was mounted.

She says she has appealed to the Australian Government to direct personnel to help with the search, but her pleas so far have fallen on deaf ears.

"At the moment we're pleading with the authorities to use all their resources available to assist in the search," she said. "The locals are helping over there and doing a wonderful job, but they've had two nights in the water."

"I just want everyone to help, in particular the Australian Navy and Air Force. Apparently they are in the area, they're in the Solomon Islands, and they can come over, but we have to plead with the authorities for that to happen.'"

Spoke with Fiji today and as of 2 am still no trace. Air and land grid search continues.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Bula! ...... Its been Sooooooo hard. Will be on my way back to Oz on the 28th Sept
can get me on 679-8813901 or e-mail nukubati@connect.com.fj Not Good!
Lynette.

Just sorry it's not under happier circumstances.

You'll have email when you arrive.

Best wishes.

DocVikingo

While the search is continuing, I thought it might be appropriate to relate a story I know about Dan, unrelated to these terrible circumstances.

I only met Dan once, in early September of 1998 when Michele and I drove over from Nadi to stay at the Wananavu Beach Resort in Rakiraki and to dive with Crystal Divers. I was looking for something out of the ordinary, away from the tourists and I found it. We were the only divers there for a few days and we spent I think one or two nights actually on Nananu-I-Ra in a house next to theirs and I felt like we became friends in that short space because of the things we shared in common -- well, he's a Mac guy, I'm a Mac guy! And for the next few years we kept in touch via email. But it may just be that Dan treats everyone like they are someone special and so everyone leaves there feeling like a good friend. I wonder if that is true?

Michele and I were talking about Dan and Alisi the other night and she told me she remembers how open Dan was and easy to talk to. She asked him once how he got to such a beautiful place so far from Chicago and he told her a bit about his former life. About how he was in an accident, near death and then in traction for a long time -- I think she said two years. He said that while he lay there unable to move, he promised himself that he wouldn't put life off, he would do what he wanted to do; that he would break away from his everyday existence and live his dreams. Once he recovered he did just that and chased his dreams to the Pacific. (It makes me think of what they said in the Shawshank Redemption, "You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific? They say it has no memory.") But memory or no, those dreams are what he ultimately fulfilled at Nananu-I-Ra Island.

We all die, it's just a matter of when and I believe and I am sure that Dan believes that it isn't the duration of life that matters -- though longevity may be desirable -- it's the quality of life that matters. And on that score I believe that we have nothing whatsoever to regret for Dan -- regardless of outcome. He has been living his dream in Fiji with a beautiful family doing the things he loved doing in one of the most magical places to do it on earth. He didn't wait for retirement, he didn't hope or idly dream, he reached out and grabbed it and made it his own. That is living. That is nothing to regret. And if he and Danielle make it back safe it will be because of that spirit.

I don't know Danielle, but at her age to be working towards being a SCUBA instructor on an idyllic island in the Pacific with a diving Master like Dan, they must have some of the same lust for life at the least. For someone like her living life to its fullest, I can only say at least in that regard, "you are lucky." Clearly, she has a loving family and I feel great sympathy for them at this time, not knowing where she is.

I do know that everyone on this bulletin board hopes that right now as we sit before our computers each day that Dan is making good use of his extensive military survival training on one of the islands out there. Impressing Danielle while he cooks up some crab and fish under the stars while he figures out a way to make it to the mainland. That is hope.

I was a little pessimistic in my last post and perhaps too frank about it. If I offended anyone, I apologize. So I thought instead I would recount Michele's conversation with Dan on how he got to Fiji. I still have an image in my mind, sitting in Dan and Alisi's house, performing the kava ceremony in the evening light, laughing, talking -- living the dream.

JoeL

Very well said, Joel, very well said. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom