Dan Grenier lost at sea.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brad,
I don't see George Taylor's name among the people you've thanked! He sounds like a bit of a ****er. There seems to be a fair bit of animosity among some people in regard to things he's said. I for one have seen contradictions in what he has said earlier & wonder why he would want to B.S. It hasn't done him any favours.
Thank you for the report & let's still pray that the impossible may be possible
manfish:
On August 31st, 2004, Dan Grenier, the owner/operator of Crystal Divers in Fiji, and Danielle Gibbons, an employee of Dan’s, failed to return to the boat after a dive in the Vatu-i-ra Passage. Almost four weeks of searching by air, sea, and underwater, has thus far been unsuccessful in locating Dan and Danielle.

As there is no definitive proof as of yet as to whether they have survived or not, family and friends will continue to be vigilant and actively search whenever new information arises. We all hope for the best.

Understandably, many who have been trying to follow the developments of Dan and Danielle’s disappearance have been frustrated by the lack or quality of the information that was available. There has been a lot of activity, and communications in and out of Fiji have been difficult at best during these times. The following are the facts as we know them from the day of the dive to today. The information you are about to read has been checked for accuracy by the people who were directly involved with the diving that day and the subsequent searching.

On August 31st, 2004 the M/V Crystal Explorer headed off from the island of Nananu-i-ra to make three dives on sites in the Vatu-i-ra Passage. On board were Dan Grenier, Danielle Gibbons, crewmembers Alisi Grenier, Semi (divemaster), Meki (deckhand), and four guests of Bamboo Beach Resort. Crewmembers and passengers estimated the sea conditions that day to have winds at 15 - 20 knots + and seas 4 - 7 ft., both out of the southeast. A full moon tidal cycle increased the normally strong currents pushing through the reefs.

After a first dive and surface interval at “Instant Replay, Dan and his crew prepared for a second dive. The decision was made that Dan and Danielle would dive on a site known as “Mary’s Maytag”, while the four guests and Semi would dive at “Pot Luck”. “Mary’s” is a short, fast moving drift dive that starts on a small pinnacle off the main reef and ends in the lee of the main reef by another site known as “Garden of Eden” which lies between “Pot Luck” and the beginning of “Mary’s Maytag”. The four guests and their divemaster were put into the water at “Pot Luck”, and the boat moved about 100 m around the reef and dropped Dan and Danielle in at “Mary’s Maytag” at around 11:45 am. The boat then returned to the mooring at “Garden of Eden” to await the return of both parties. When it became clear to Alisi that Dan and Danielle were overdue, Alisi called into Crystal Divers to report that Dan and Danielle were missing and then began searching the area. (Two things should be noted: First, as the question has come up several times, Alisi overheard Dan earlier in the day checking with Danielle to see if she had her rescue tube with her. Second, Alisi heard what she thought might have been a diver’s alert horn like the ones worn by both Dan and Danielle. She started the boat and headed back to the area where Dan and Danielle should have been, but saw nothing and returned to the mooring where the guests were diving) The M/V Crystal Explorer continued to search the area while another boat arrived. As Fiji has no Search and Rescue (SAR) agency or other air assets, aerial searches would have to be conducted by private or small commercial aircraft, and the earliest searchers could get up in one of these aircrafts was the following morning. The M/V Crystal Explorer remained on scene until she became low on fuel. The other boat continued to search until nightfall. A mooring line was left at the dive site in case a change in currents returned Dan and Danielle to the site.

The morning of September 1st, 2004, a 30 nautical mile wedge reaching northwest of the dive site was searched with an airplane covering the outer portions and three boats covering the inner portions. Two more boats searched the fringing reefs of northern Viti Levu, to the west/southwest of the dive sites. All aircraft in the area were asked to keep an eye out and several aircraft diverted their flight plans to look in these areas. The following days the search expanded over 70 miles in all directions and included up to four airplanes and a helicopter searching at once. This search area would include almost the entire Bligh Waters from the Yasawas 70 miles to the west/northwest to Ovalau 60 miles to the southeast. Also, many people were either contacted or had heard the news and began volunteering, and soon boats were searching in many areas bordering the Bligh Waters.

In the first forty-eight hours of searching, high winds and seas made aerial searches difficult because of higher minimum altitudes and consistent white caps on the surface. The boats were facing similar problems as well with the weather. As the weather began to break the amount of resources available began to diminish, however, at least one aircraft continued to fly over most of the same areas in hopes of taking advantage of the calm winds and good visibility to spot them at sea or on uninhabited islands and beaches. The Fijian Navy also dispatched the vessel “Kikau” to conduct grid searches of the Bligh Waters. At least two dives were also made at “Mary’s Maytag” to look for any clues. The first was the following day, and the second was four days later and went deeper and farther down current. Nothing was found, including any outcroppings or other hazards that might have snagged them.

On September 8th, 2004 active searches ceased, while a continued effort to get people to look around their local beaches continued.

On September 12th, 2004, dive gear, later identified as that worn by Danielle Gibbons on the day she disappeared, was found floating along a beach on the eastern side of Yasawa Island by a local woman. (Yasawa Island is approx. 70 miles NW of the dive site, and had been searched by air several times before) The equipment included the B.C., tank, and regulator - all still set up. The tank was empty, and the depth gauge was analog (Danielle used a wrist mounted computer). The equipment had damage that seemed to be consistent with being dragged over a reef (scratches, gouges etc). The corrugated hose on the BC has been torn free of the dump valve and the rear dump valve was also missing, therefore the BC was unable to hold air and most likely floated due to the empty tank. The equipment did not show any obvious signs of being attacked by sharks (i.e. no shark bite marks), and the buckles across the front of the B.C. were found intact and unbuckled.

Earlier theories that counter-currents had pushed them east or north had been considered, but now that a confirmed direction that Danielle’s equipment (and possibly Dan and Danielle) had taken was established, a more focused search by boat was initiated in the surrounding areas of the Yasawa Island group and the areas along the northern coast of Viti Levu. Unfortunately, as of this writing, nothing more has been found. The family of Danielle Gibbons has posted a $10,000 reward to anyone who finds Danielle and Dan and all our hopes are that this will motivate everyone there to get out and look around any areas we might have missed.

A fund is being set for Dan’s two son’s Cory and Dakota, and information on how to contribute will be passed along in the very near future.

The following people should be recognized and thanked for their generous and unending support in helping deal with this situation with their time, energy, equipment, and financial support:

The family of Danielle Gibbons
Alisi Grenier, Mike Agnew, Molly Murphy, Lynette Mercer, Jioji, and everyone at Crystal Divers
Nick Haenig and everyone at Bamboo Beach Resort
The Raki Raki Police Department
Mike Dennis
Zim Gervais and everyone at Le Cousteau Divers
Bola and Moira
Curly Carswell and his helpers from Savusavu and Yasawas
Islander Shipping
Nananu-i-ra Island Lodge
The Pacific Flying School
Pacific Island Sea Planes
Pacific Crown Helicopters
Eddie and George of Dive Tropex
Stevie and boys of Ra Divers
Mike and Julie of Kai Viti Divers
Ratu Meli
The Fiji Navy
Fiji Visitors Bureau
The American Embassy
Anthony Burgess of the Australian High Commission
The kind residents of Nananu-i-ra who kept the coffee and scones coming for the search and rescue volunteers on phone and radio watch.

But go thou thy way till the end be: for thou shall rest, and stand in thy lot at the end of days. Daniel 12.13

In crisis, sometimes our very best comes out and, understandably, sometimes our very worst. Having followed this thread from beginning to present, it is obvious that there is a lot of love, a lot of sorrow, a lot of fear (which often manifests as anger), a lot of frustration (anger), and fatigue . . . lots of fatigue (also, comes out as anger).

For us following this on one side of the globe, it reads like a hair-raising novel. But it isn’t a novel. Real people are living these past four weeks, one terrifying second at a time. If any one of us were to suddenly disappear off the face of the planet, my guess is that every one of us would have plenty in our private business and relationships that we would prefer to not share with many. Out of respect for all involved in Dan and Danielle’s rescue, and more importantly for Dan and Danielle, perhaps it would be helpful to carefully review and restrict what we say here to useful thoughts and ideas that will aid in bringing this monstrous ordeal to a happy end.

Having said that, it is heart-warming to see the number of truly dedicated and tireless loved ones who are working to bring Dan and Danielle back. We must all be brave, be respectful, be smart, and stay focused.

texasdivegoddess:
In crisis, sometimes our very best comes out and, understandably, sometimes our very worst. Having followed this thread from beginning to present, it is obvious that there is a lot of love, a lot of sorrow, a lot of fear (which often manifests as anger), a lot of frustration (anger), and fatigue . . . lots of fatigue (also, comes out as anger).

For us following this on one side of the globe, it reads like a hair-raising novel. But it isn’t a novel. Real people are living these past four weeks, one terrifying second at a time. If any one of us were to suddenly disappear off the face of the planet, my guess is that every one of us would have plenty in our private business and relationships that we would prefer to not share with many. Out of respect for all involved in Dan and Danielle’s rescue, and more importantly for Dan and Danielle, perhaps it would be helpful to carefully review and restrict what we say here to useful thoughts and ideas that will aid in bringing this monstrous ordeal to a happy end.
Having said that, it is heart-warming to see the number of truly dedicated and tireless loved ones who are working to bring Dan and Danielle back. We must all be brave, be respectful, be smart, and stay focused.
If only that had been said long ago! Isn't this story horrific enough without any negativity
My heart goes out to those that are close to either of them & even those that have been touched by either of them in any way. I pray for the family that some sort of closure bad or good is given to them soon! If it is truly grief that they have ahead of them or rather they have recovery, these families have got to be holding on by threads.

Well said, Texasdivegoddess,
Russ and I would like to thank all of you who have been involved in the search and have contributed, not only monetarily, but with your thoughts, prayers, and encouragement for the safe return of Dan and Danielle. We know that both their families and friends are truly grateful for all the efforts you have made. We are also grateful to George Taylor, co-owner of Bamboo Reef Resort, and his employees for all of their hard work. There are, however, many other people who have unselfishly donated their time and resources, asking for no recognition. Danielle's brother-in-law, Stephen Marquis, has asked Russ to speak for the Gibbons family and specifically to George's most recent post. Their family has spent over $20,000 hiring boats, planes, helicopters, and crew to search various areas in Fiji. As recently as September 18, they had a helicopter in the air searching the Yasawas and other islands. They have employed resorts other than Bamboo Reef to aid in their search. The family has raised a $10,000 reward for the safe return of Danielle in hopes of giving villagers an incentive to keep searching. The Fijian police department and Navy were initially involved in the search and the police reopened the case after Danielle's BC was found off the Yasawas. The Gibbons family, along with many other individuals, have not given up the search and are extremely supportive of our efforts to raise money to keep the efforts going. We assumed that George Taylor, as a friend and business partner of Dan's, would be supportive of any ongoing search efforts.
Brad Doane searched the area both under water and by plane for several days after the initial disappearance. We have worked in conjunction with him to identify any areas that might benefit from a more detailed search. Due to tides and inaccessibility it is felt that there are still a few areas that need to be searched more thoroughly. This is by no means a criticism of the initial search, but a realization that now, with increased resources, more can be done.
After "Undercurrent" sent out it's e-mail to all it's subscribers, the donations really picked up. Unfortunately, the search has now dwindled to a few individuals who continue to actively look for Dan and Danielle. We feel there is still time for one last extensive push to find these two! We have been in contact with an experienced diver in Fiji who is commited to doing anything in his power to find Dan. We also are actively recruiting anyone who feels the same drive and dedication to methodically search some very difficult areas. We hope that everyone in the surrounding area will keep looking and report any clues to the Fijian police. Funds are now available to reimburse people for their time away from work and to compensate for fuel, boat costs, and some plane time.
George is right; Fiji is not the Arctic Circle. There are, however, mangrove covered coastlines which are difficult and time consuming to search and islands that can only be accessed and walked at low tide. When we first heard of Dan and Danielle's disappearance, we wanted to hop a plane to Fiji and help in some way. After talking to a few key people, it was felt that we could be more helpful stateside, raising both awareness and funds to keep the search going. We hoped that the donations would have come in sooner so that we could have contributed more to the initial search. We have truly been overwhelmed by the generosity, kindness, sincerity, and love that unites us all. Dan saved my life a year ago and, when someone saves your life, you don't give up on them easily. Our only mission is to find Dan and Danielle and to bring them home. God willing, we can all make this happen...
Vanaka vaka levu, Chris and Russ England

I hope I didn't offend George Taylor too much earlier as I do realize his fantastic imput Financially & otherwise to the search for Dan & Danielle. I do apologise, I guess everyone is pretty frustrated & disappointed thus far, I know I am! I 'll keep praying that they will be found alive.

Just a quick post-A dedicated friend of Dan Grenier has offered to organize and start the searching immediately.If any one knows how to get in touch with "Bendito",Dans former assistant and Dive master(maybe instuctor by now),when Dan was on LomaLoma,please contact me asap.If you want to help in fiji with the search, get in contact as well.Not much time for talk now.Thanks again to everyone who has made this possible thru their random acts of kindness and on going generosity.Mahalo-Saildivers

saildiver:
Just a quick post-A dedicated friend of Dan Grenier has offered to organize and start the searching immediately.If any one knows how to get in touch with "Bendito",Dans former assistant and Dive master(maybe instuctor by now),when Dan was on LomaLoma,please contact me asap.If you want to help in fiji with the search, get in contact as well.Not much time for talk now.Thanks again to everyone who has made this possible thru their random acts of kindness and on going generosity.Mahalo-Saildivers

Russ,

The subject of Ben often came up when we were there. After initially moving with Dan to Nananu-i-ra, he returned to where he lived near Loma Loma and got married. I believe when we talked about him while there this past December, Dan said he was still in touch with him, and Ben still talked about wanting to work with Dan again, but his family wanted to stay in their village. Alisi or Lynette would probably know that.

Still Hoping....

Tom

Back
Top Bottom