Dan Grenier lost at sea.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fantastic!

Thank you so much, Chris and Russ, for keeping us, so well informed. This information will re-energize everyone who is sending energy, prayers to Dan and Danielle and to the Searchers.

No Fiji may not be the Arctic Circle but if every single island were counted in the Fiji archipelago it would number in the thousands. Fiji has 322 islands judged large enough for human habitation, only 106 are inhabited, leaving 216 uninhabited!!!!!!!

Does anyonw know how many islands there are between the Yasawas & Rotuma?

Stephen,
There are 2 places that green turtles nest in Fiji
Heemskereq reef & Ringgold reef
I hope this may be helpful
Samoa has more Green turtle habitats.
Don
stephenm:
Hello all.

My name is Stephen, I am Danielle Gibbons brother in-law. She is the other diver missing with Dan Greiner.

We are trying to find a specific location. If the following description rings any bells for anyone, please contact me directly. We have not give up hope for their safe return but time is our enemy.

I am trying to find a specific location in Fiji with these characteristics. I know the info is obscure but we are trying to use it to locate Dan Greiner and Danielle Gibbons, two divers who went missing in Fijian waters last week.

A small uninhabited island, possibly in the Bligh Waters up towards the Yasawa Island group. The island is quite flat with dense vegetation and coconut trees. The beaches of the island are covered in high tides.

The island has a well-known but not often visited tidal-coral reef point which is a breeding ground for tiger or bull sharks.
Sea turtles nest at this island and there is a sea-bird colony on it.

The island may be in a loose group of 2-3 islands with a passage in between them used occasionally by the locals in their journeys.

Please email me directly if this rings any bells for anyone. You can also call me in Australia on +61 2 9665 5867. Time is critical.

with thanks
Stephen M

rhino61:
take dogs with you this time!
We will if any dogs can be found-we have been on that idea since we got involved.But we are listening to all of "your" good ideas and tips (we did get a hold of Ben in Quamea)-keep them coming in. There's still alot of area to search as efficiently as possible with very limited funds.Both we and the search parties in Fiji feel that they may still be alive if they made landfall. Mahalo-rhino61.....saildiver.

saildiver:
We will if any dogs can be found-we have been on that idea since we got involved.But we are listening to all of "your" good ideas and tips (we did get a hold of Ben in Quamea)-keep them coming in. There's still alot of area to search as efficiently as possible with very limited funds.Both we and the search parties in Fiji feel that they may still be alive if they made landfall. Mahalo-rhino61.....saildiver.

Has there been any more equipment found, what is happening as far as actual searching going on at this time?

Thanks AE Puccinelli

Steve Marquis here - Danielle's brother-in-law.

I am simple amazed and overwhelmed at the amount of interest, support and hope this incident has brought out in people. To all who have contributed time, resources, money or their prayers, I personally thank-you.

The gibbons family feel that no stone can be left unturned and will continue to pusue all avenues left available. To this end I would like to thank Russ and Chris England in particular who have really kept the ball rolling after the stress and emotion of the first three weeks was really taking its toll on us.

We would also like to thank others who have given selflessly to this effort - in particular the people of Fiji who have little to give and would gladly give you all of it and more.

Brad Doane covered many thank-yous and I would like to add to that list
Jocelyn of Yasawa Island lodge
Lily and Lance of Westside divers
Nick Meegan of Turtle Island Resort
Ed Lovell in Fiji
Zim Gervais
All who have helpfully contributed to this forum
Our friends in Australia who have kept us going

My heart and hopes also go out to all Dans' family who have been sharing this horrific time which has left us all gutted.

Lastly- I have set-up a site called www.missingdivers.com. The intention of this site is to assist with the current search effort, but in the future I hope it might serve as a resource for anyone who finds themselves in a similar position to ourselves of having to organise their own Sea and Air Rescue in a foreign country for divers, sailors, fisherman, surfers etc.

It seems we all faced a similar response from our respective governments - inaction and incompetence. We learnt so much ourselves over this time that we hope to gather this knowledge and put it to use for everyone. What I am looking for is other cases where people had to deal with this. How did they do it? What did they learn?

I also want to establish a country-by-country contact base so that peole have instant points of call rather than having to learn who we needed to be dealing with (as was our case). If anyone has experiences to share, please email them to info@missing divers.com

Once again. thanks and love to all.
We still pray for their safe return

Stephen Marquis

Thanks for the suggestion about Rotuma. Bamboo Reef Divers is in the process of alerting the American consulate in the Solomon Islands in case any bodies wash up there, and they can alert the authorities in Rotuma as well.

Just an update on the search. We have had one boat return from Yondua, but nothing to report. However, two additional boats will be going out and there is still a lot of area to cover. The weather right now is good in the area which really helps the search effort and searching will be ongoing as long as the weather holds. Thanks everyone for your continued interest. It is costing $1,000 a day for the boat and crew so we are still encouraging donations. To everyone who has contributed by check or prayer, thank you so, so much....Chris and Russ

Back
Top Bottom