Dan Grenier lost at sea.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saildiver:
Just a quick post-A dedicated friend of Dan Grenier has offered to organize and start the searching immediately.If any one knows how to get in touch with "Bendito",Dans former assistant and Dive master(maybe instuctor by now),when Dan was on LomaLoma,please contact me asap.If you want to help in fiji with the search, get in contact as well.Not much time for talk now.Thanks again to everyone who has made this possible thru their random acts of kindness and on going generosity.Mahalo-Saildivers

As of a year ago in June, Dan and Alisi told me that Ben was heading up dive operations at Quamea Resort and Spa.
I also thought I saw a reference in the thank you posting by Brad.

Michael DeRousse

lrpuckett:
Texas Dive Goddess:

Great name! Yup, Dan took the National Geographic crew out for 2 days after the Nai'a had them out for a month or longer! The Nai'a staf will remember the Nat'l Geographic people - - who said that Black Magic Mountain was one of the healthiest reefs they had seen in all of their filming!

I'll get in touch with the Nai'a.

Thanks,
Linda

=texasdivegoddess]Didn't Dan also work with the crew of that recent IMAX film about the state of the coral in the South Pacific? I cannot remember the name of the film, but do remember that Dan had mentioned that Vatu-I-Ra was a key site used in that movie where the coral is so brilliant. I would think they might be particularly interested and distressed because where D & D were lost is so specific to that area. Does anyone remember the name of that film and/or who the persons involved were?
[/QUOTE]

Linda,
I believe the IMAX film was shot by Howard & Michele Hall. Their phone number is listed as 858-259-8989. Hope this helps.

mderousse:
As of a year ago in June, Dan and Alisi told me that Ben was heading up dive operations at Quamea Resort and Spa.

Michael DeRousse

Qamea Resort (note corrected spelling)'s

contact info from that website:

P.A. Matei, Tavenui, Fiji Islands
TEL:(679) 888 0220 - FAX: (679) 888 0092

EMAIL:
qamea@connect.com.fj
Due to the outer island phone service our email can be a bit unreliable. In the event we don't get back to you in a timely manner, please send us a fax at (679) 888 0092.

NORTH AMERICAN
OFFICE:
Toll Free: 1-866-TO-QAMEA (1-866-867-2632)
Phone: 720-898-9270
Email: usares@qamea.com
Fax: 1-303-403-1259

Thank you, fbsarah, for Howard & Michelle Hall's telephone number (IMAX "Coral Reef Adventure"). I have called and spoken to Michelle. She suggested that the Nai'a would be the most helpful, but would get in touch with me if any other ideas occurred. Mike works the Nai'a office. Also, she recalled working with Cat, Rob, and Alex. I think, Linda, (lrpuckett) that you've already got that base covered.

Another idea she had that is probably already being done, but here it is anyway: Contact all the village chiefs in the area and direction that makes sense. Apparently, there may be some technologically easy way to get into that network - perhaps through Suva, perhaps through the government? Those on the ground in Fiji would know better how to go about this. I like that idea given that there is a reward being offered. Surely it could motivate an army of local persons who know the waters and the islands. Along with scarcity of monetary resources, there is also a scarcity of manpower.

mderousse:

Michael DeRousse

My wife and I had the pleasure of diving with Ben in early August at Qamea Beach Club. His reputation as a diver and his knowledge of the islands in the area are quite impressive...I've wondered if any of those folks have lent any support to date.

My prayers go out to Dan and Danielle, friends, family, and all interested parties....

humanFish:
My wife and I had the pleasure of diving with Ben in early August at Qamea Beach Club. His reputation as a diver and his knowledge of the islands in the area are quite impressive...I've wondered if any of those folks have lent any support to date.

My prayers go out to Dan and Danielle, friends, family, and all interested parties....
Thanks humanFish,I'm on it.You're a kind and helpful human....fish.....saildiver.

I would and will miss Dan just as much as anyone would. I just wonder...If this were any other missing person...would we still hold out hope. Dont get me wrong...I sure hope they are on an island somewhere waiting to be found. It seems pretty far fetched at this point. At this point when does one start greiving? I will be at Wananavu for 16 days in May 05 and was looking forward to diving with Dan for a few dives. So i believe i had and have a vested interest.
Sorry for being an optimist but I have been watching this thread daily for weeks and I just had to say a little.

God bless Dan and Daniell's family and frields. And also them.

I hope and pray they are found eating lobster and drinking coconut juice on a deserted island.

Matt

With survival training, (which Dan has) anyone could survive, provided they have access to fresh water and are not severely injured. I will hold on to the hope that they will be rescued soon. Miracles DO happen!

We are still keeping Dan and Danielle and their families in our prayers.
Gin & Richard

Just a note to let you know what progress is being made. Dan's friend has enlisted the help of several dedicated searchers and they have already started looking. They are thorougly checking the hard-to-get-to areas and have expanded the boundaries of past search efforts. They have received input from several sources including previous searchers and the Gibbons family to assess the areas to be searched. Divers Alert Network has provided information to them for emergency medical management. Villages are being notified via VHF of search efforts in their areas in hopes of revitalizing villagers' involvement. Sites will scrupulously be searched on foot. This is a difficult, tedious job, but these guys are totally dedicated. Russ and I are personally amazed at the commitment this group has for finding Dan and Danielle. Their resolve is unwavering. Please send your thoughts and prayers for their safety and their success. Vinaka Chris and Russ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom