Damaged Transmitter Battery Lid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaWithTurk

Bubble Blowing Buddha
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone ever have a transmitter battery lid get damaged? The slot has become misshapen. I used a coin to try and unscrew the lid but the lid was tighter than expected and the coin slipped, making the slot...well, no longer a slot. Now I can't access the battery and my transmitter is useless.

Anyone ever have a transmitter battery lid get damaged? The slot has become misshapen. I used a coin to try and unscrew the lid but the lid was tighter than expected and the coin slipped, making the slot...well, no longer a slot. Now I can't access the battery and my transmitter is useless.
What kind of transmitter?

What kind of transmitter?
It is the older one, not the newer Swift transmitter

New covers are about $13. I'd do what I had to so the old cover covers off, and just get a new one. One technique would be to fill the garbaged slot with JB-Weld while you have a big tool in it, let it harden 24+h, and turn...

Try something like this:
I'd recommend using graphite or mixing graphite with the baking soda, as it will be sturdier.

New covers are about $13. I'd do what I had to so the old cover covers off, and just get a new one. One technique would be to fill the garbaged slot with JB-Weld while you have a big tool in it, let it harden 24+h, and turn...
I am in Bali so it might be hard to source a replacement cover but I will try later today once I am done teaching.

I am in Bali so it might be hard to source a replacement cover but I will try later today once I am done teaching.
Oceanic and Aqualung dealers should be able to get it.

Coins are bad for this. The tool that came with my Perdix is a tight fit and works perfectly. Very little chance of slipping. I know that doesn't help you in this instance, but maybe for future. They are pretty cheap, too.

Another approach to the JB Weld solution is to fill the slot entirely with it, let it harden fully (24 hours of curing), and then cut a new, more appropriately sized slot (and then be very careful).

When loosen rusty screws I often use mailman rubber band.
Squeeze the rubber band between your screwdriver and the rusty screwhead and mostly it will fix the problem.
Don't forget to replace the screw with the right stainless steel screw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom