Damage on an inspiration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreckie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have my eyes set on an inspiration, i want it, i need it etc :007:

My question is what exactly is the initial set up price of unit, training and anything else you think i may need. Just going air/nitrox at the moment.

Also what are the costs per dive and per year for servicing etc.

Thanks a lot

Mike

Numbers I've seen run about $7500 for the unit. Training will depend on who you buy it from, but don't skimp here. Figure a week's time at least and probably $1500 or so. With spares and such you'll want to have your total "nut" will likely be about 10 big ones.

It makes less sense, IMHO, for Nitrox than it does if you're going to dive Trimix, simply due to the gas cost for OC Trimix dives. Gas cost for OC Nitrox is trivial - I can fill a set of double 72s in my garage with Nitrox for about $5-7. Even if I BOUGHT the fills, they'd only cost me $20 or so.

Those same fills full of Trimix would run me close to $100 (including deco bottles) if I bought them, and $20 or so if I mixed my own. If I do 100 dives a year on Trimix, at $100 each I've got a $10,000 gas bill if I'm buying fills commercially. Yikes!

Deco will be accelerated on a CCR because your PO2 can be maintained where you want it all the time, which results in much shorter deco. You do have to watch O2 tox issues though - its quite possible to exceed safe O2 exposure limits (indeed, even pretty easy to do so) on CCRs.

The other problem with a CCR, which you must not ignore, is that you must have enough bailout gas with you to manage an OC ascent if the unit breaks. Having to get off the loop is rare, but if you need to and don't have the gas to do it, you die. Take that into consideration!

I STRONGLY recommend talking with some qualified instructors on the unit you are thinking of, and on rebreathers generally, before doing anything more. I've done this and while I've not yet decided to "make the jump" it has clarified the issues, expenses and benefits for me - and probably will for you too.

Genesis:
You do have to watch O2 tox issues though - its quite possible to exceed safe O2 exposure limits (indeed, even pretty easy to do so) on CCRs.
Not sure I agree about this, first, it's not that easy (for a variety of reasons), second, you have bells, whistles and warnings, and third and most importantly, you're checking your ppO2 all the time.

I'd say the main danger diving CCRs is actually hypoxia. Kills far, far more people than hyperoxia on rebreathers. Requires even more diligent watchfulness.

That said, I agree entirely with the gist of the post. Good one, Genesis!

price I caught was $8000 including training. But I know the guy, and that may be a little less than normal. After I got up (cuzz I fainted at the price) I thought I would ask you guys the same question.

Back
Top Bottom