Dallas/Ft. Worth Area Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverjed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Beginning in August will be spending a lot of time in North Texas. Where are the local places to dive?

I'm in Dallas. The closest place is Clear Springs Scuba Park (CSSP) in Terrell, TX. Most the shops local to the Dallas area conduct their open water classes at CSSP. it is around XX hours east of Dallas. Costs $20 to go diving there. They have a tank filling station. Many bring one tank and when it is low they fill it and dive some more.

If you go around 1h 15m southeast down I-45 you find Athens Scuba Park. Like CSSP it is a place to do a little training. There are things to see in the park. It costs $20 to go diving there. They have a tank fill station as well. They also have a shop to buy stuff from.

A little over 3 hours takes you to Austin, TX and Lake Travis. There are party boats on Lake Travis and Hippy Hallow Beach. People use this for getting AOW certified. There are much deeper spots here. I've gone diving there using a boat from Lake Travis Scuba. It took us out to Snake Island and we went under the party boats. Found a lot of empties, sunglasses and other things. A bit of a drive for a day trip. Did it once last year but haven't been there this year.

If you go around 4 hours down I-35 you find New Braunfels, TX and the Comal River. This is a river people use for tubing but you can scuba down it as well. The general routine is park a car at the bottom of the river, drive to the top of the river with a second car. Drift down the river. Get out at the bottom, use the first car to drive back to the second car.

If you are in the Dallas area you might want to join a scuba club. They go out to CSSP, Athens, the Comal River and more. Usually one trip a month but talking to the members you can also find locals who know the area and will dive at other times.

If you PM me I can tell you more. Also, feel free to PM me if you are in the area and we can go for a dive somewhere. There is gear try-out next weekend, a dive at CSSP the following weekend, a dive at Athens the weekend following that. There are at least two weekends of diving in September. Plus the dive clubs tend to have an underwater pumpkin carving contest in October.

I'm in Dallas. The closest place is Clear Springs Scuba Park (CSSP) in Terrell, TX. Most the shops local to the Dallas area conduct their open water classes at CSSP. it is around XX hours east of Dallas. Costs $20 to go diving there. They have a tank filling station. Many bring one tank and when it is low they fill it and dive some more.

If you go around 1h 15m southeast down I-45 you find Athens Scuba Park. Like CSSP it is a place to do a little training. There are things to see in the park. It costs $20 to go diving there. They have a tank fill station as well. They also have a shop to buy stuff from.

A little over 3 hours takes you to Austin, TX and Lake Travis. There are party boats on Lake Travis and Hippy Hallow Beach. People use this for getting AOW certified. There are much deeper spots here. I've gone diving there using a boat from Lake Travis Scuba. It took us out to Snake Island and we went under the party boats. Found a lot of empties, sunglasses and other things. A bit of a drive for a day trip. Did it once last year but haven't been there this year.

If you go around 4 hours down I-35 you find New Braunfels, TX and the Comal River. This is a river people use for tubing but you can scuba down it as well. The general routine is park a car at the bottom of the river, drive to the top of the river with a second car. Drift down the river. Get out at the bottom, use the first car to drive back to the second car.

If you are in the Dallas area you might want to join a scuba club. They go out to CSSP, Athens, the Comal River and more. Usually one trip a month but talking to the members you can also find locals who know the area and will dive at other times.

If you PM me I can tell you more. Also, feel free to PM me if you are in the area and we can go for a dive somewhere. There is gear try-out next weekend, a dive at CSSP the following weekend, a dive at Athens the weekend following that. There are at least two weekends of diving in September. Plus the dive clubs tend to have an underwater pumpkin carving contest in October.

Thanks! I'll PM You

Very interesting tid bit here... what is this gear try-out you speak of? How do those work? We are in DFW and are looking to dive more often.

Thanks! I'll PM You

Sorry, forgot I posted this. I was in Dallas but moved. Work has taken me to Toronto, Canada. My current project ends February 12th but I don't know where I'm going after that. I'm looking into working weekends at a local dive shop.

Very interesting tid bit here... what is this gear try-out you speak of? How do those work? We are in DFW and are looking to dive more often.

There were some gear manufacturers at CSSP. If you showed up on that particular weekend the manufacturers would have been there with gear you could try. If you are in the DFW area there are two good dive clubs. Near Fort Worth I would look up the Diving Rebels (Diving Rebels Scuba Club). If you more over near Addison or Plano check out Scubadillos (http://www.scubadillos.org/ or on Facebook at SCUBADILLO Dive Club).

I also used to just show up at the ScubaToys pavillion CSSP. If you have a buddy you are set to go. If you don't you can often find someone there to dive with. Usually I find a certified mom or dad there because their kid is getting certified.

Sorry, forgot I posted this. I was in Dallas but moved. Work has taken me to Toronto, Canada. My current project ends February 12th but I don't know where I'm going after that. I'm looking into working weekends at a local dive shop.

There were some gear manufacturers at CSSP. If you showed up on that particular weekend the manufacturers would have been there with gear you could try. If you are in the DFW area there are two good dive clubs. Near Fort Worth I would look up the Diving Rebels (Diving Rebels Scuba Club). If you more over near Addison or Plano check out Scubadillos (http://www.scubadillos.org/ or on Facebook at SCUBADILLO Dive Club).

I also used to just show up at the ScubaToys pavillion CSSP. If you have a buddy you are set to go. If you don't you can often find someone there to dive with. Usually I find a certified mom or dad there because their kid is getting certified.
That is awesome! Would love to know of any gear try-outs when the weather warms a bit. Thanks.

That is awesome! Would love to know of any gear try-outs when the weather warms a bit. Thanks.

Check with Clear Springs and see the next date that DUI comes out for their try out event--probably in November. They also will have a schedule of other events they can share with you. Scubatoys (among others) also trains out there year-round and may be of help.

dont forget about lake murray in oklahoma.. you can dive there also.

dont forget about lake murray in oklahoma.. you can dive there also.

Ten Killer as well if you don't mind the drive to Oklahoma. Thanks for the reminder!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom