Dahab trip report, Jun 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There hasn’t been heaps on here recently about Dahab, so I decided to jot down some things from my recent visit (Jun 23 – 29).

I had been in Jerusalem for a conference, so flew down to Eilat on Arkia (23kg luggage limit for tourists) and caught a taxi from the airport to the Taba border crossing (40 – 60 NIS). It cost 106 NIS to cross out of Israel and LE 400 on the Egyptian side. There is a money changer in the immigration building and you don’t pay up until you reach the bus station about 500 metres past Egyptian immigration.

I dived with H20 and they arranged for a van to pick me up. It is a two hour drive from the Taba to Dahab.

I stayed at the Dahab Coachhouse Guesthouse, which was just behind the dive centre and about 20 or so metres from the waterfront strip through a little alley. Clean, good wifi, no breakfast (but the German bakery was less than five minutes away and did great breakfast).

I found H20 to be great. I am just barely an intermediate diver (I logged my 200th dive on this trip) and they grouped me with some holidaying Swiss instructors and another English couple about to start instructor training, all with thousands of dives under their belt. They gave me a 15 litre tank and I was able to dive as long as the others. I dived Nitrox 32, consistently without any drama. Alex (a Pom) who runs the place is friendly and organised and Trisha our dive guide for most of it (an American) was great fun and good at spotting stuff.

I dived Light House, The Islands and needles reefs on the first day.

I did The Bells to Blue Hole, Blue Hole South and Mashraba on the second day.

On day three, we drove to the Blue Hole and then rode camels for an hour to get to Ras Abu Gallum where we did two dives.

Day 4 I left at 4am for Sharm and did a trip to the SS Thistlegorm. This is a LONG day from Dahab and the guys I dived with were not nearly as fun as the H2O crew, but we had great viz and no current on the wreck itself, so I am glad that I did it.

My final day diving was a boat trip to Gabr el Bint. We did two dives there and then another on the way back at a spot they don’t normally dive, which I think translated as Sair’s Reef. It was actually one of the most spectacular dives of the trip.

The diving at Dahab was mostly about coral; some very beautiful and impressive coral walls, forests and gardens. Lots of little reef fish. We did see a couple of turtles and octopus twice and some saw a grey reef shark down in the deep at Gabr el Bint. There was also a big napoleon wrasse at Mashraba. I really enjoyed my time; it was all easy and fun diving with a safe and friendly shop.

Air temp was 38 – 40 degrees centigrade and it was consistently 26 in the water. I dived my 5mm wetsuit. The only hassle was catching flights with my dive gear (including backplate and wing) and knowing that Israeli security was going to want to open my bags every time. I discovered they even unzipped me wing to examine the bladder inside; thankfully without mucking anything up.

I crossed back over the border the same way I’d come down.

Great report , thanks for sharing. It brings back so many wonderful memories of our trips to Dahab a few years ago !

I'm planning my own trip there right now so thank you very much for this info! I'm temped by the riding camels to a dive site.

Which company did you use out of Sharm? For my trip I will be in both Dahab and Sharm, and picking a dive shop for Sharm is one of the biggest pieces for me to decide on now.

Thank you!

I'm planning my own trip there right now so thank you very much for this info! I'm temped by the riding camels to a dive site.

Which company did you use out of Sharm? For my trip I will be in both Dahab and Sharm, and picking a dive shop for Sharm is one of the biggest pieces for me to decide on now.

Thank you!

Having done the camel ride - next time I will take the boat!

H20 arranged the Thistlegorm bit for me. The shop in Sharm they use is Reef Oasis. The guide was fine, but nothing special. Apparently H20 them regularly because they don't muck stuff up generally.

There hasn’t been heaps on here recently about Dahab, so I decided to jot down some things from my recent visit (Jun 23 – 29).

I had been in Jerusalem for a conference, so flew down to Eilat on Arkia (23kg luggage limit for tourists) and caught a taxi from the airport to the Taba border crossing (40 – 60 NIS). It cost 106 NIS to cross out of Israel and LE 400 on the Egyptian side. There is a money changer in the immigration building and you don’t pay up until you reach the bus station about 500 metres past Egyptian immigration.

I dived with H20 and they arranged for a van to pick me up. It is a two hour drive from the Taba to Dahab.

I stayed at the Dahab Coachhouse Guesthouse, which was just behind the dive centre and about 20 or so metres from the waterfront strip through a little alley. Clean, good wifi, no breakfast (but the German bakery was less than five minutes away and did great breakfast).

I found H20 to be great. I am just barely an intermediate diver (I logged my 200th dive on this trip) and they grouped me with some holidaying Swiss instructors and another English couple about to start instructor training, all with thousands of dives under their belt. They gave me a 15 litre tank and I was able to dive as long as the others. I dived Nitrox 32, consistently without any drama. Alex (a Pom) who runs the place is friendly and organised and Trisha our dive guide for most of it (an American) was great fun and good at spotting stuff.

I dived Light House, The Islands and needles reefs on the first day.

I did The Bells to Blue Hole, Blue Hole South and Mashraba on the second day.

On day three, we drove to the Blue Hole and then rode camels for an hour to get to Ras Abu Gallum where we did two dives.

Day 4 I left at 4am for Sharm and did a trip to the SS Thistlegorm. This is a LONG day from Dahab and the guys I dived with were not nearly as fun as the H2O crew, but we had great viz and no current on the wreck itself, so I am glad that I did it.

My final day diving was a boat trip to Gabr el Bint. We did two dives there and then another on the way back at a spot they don’t normally dive, which I think translated as Sair’s Reef. It was actually one of the most spectacular dives of the trip.

The diving at Dahab was mostly about coral; some very beautiful and impressive coral walls, forests and gardens. Lots of little reef fish. We did see a couple of turtles and octopus twice and some saw a grey reef shark down in the deep at Gabr el Bint. There was also a big napoleon wrasse at Mashraba. I really enjoyed my time; it was all easy and fun diving with a safe and friendly shop.

Air temp was 38 – 40 degrees centigrade and it was consistently 26 in the water. I dived my 5mm wetsuit. The only hassle was catching flights with my dive gear (including backplate and wing) and knowing that Israeli security was going to want to open my bags every time. I discovered they even unzipped me wing to examine the bladder inside; thankfully without mucking anything up.

I crossed back over the border the same way I’d come down.

Sounds like a great trip, thanks for the report! I just have one question, what's a "Pom"?

"...Alex (a Pom) who runs the place is friendly and organized.."

A 'Pom' is 'Australian-speak' for someone someone from the UK.

A 'Pom' is 'Australian-speak' for someone someone from the UK.

Really! I wonder where that comes from, it made me think of a Pomeranian - a breed of dog from Alaska, but that didn't make any sense!

Having done the camel ride - next time I will take the boat!
Was the camel ride just uncomfortable or something? My wife and I were planning on doing a ride at some point just because, and combining it with a dive made sense, but if it isn't good then we'll rethink it.

Thanks again for the great info!

Was the camel ride just uncomfortable or something? My wife and I were planning on doing a ride at some point just because, and combining it with a dive made sense, but if it isn't good then we'll rethink it.

Thanks again for the great info!

The camel is very uncomfortable and you have to sit on it for an hour to get to the dive site and then an hour to get back. It was 40 degrees (celcius) the day I was doing it, which is over 100F. I can say I've done it, but I will not be in a hurry to do it again.

Who did you dive with in Sharm?

Back
Top Bottom