Dahab info request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikelegurra

Contributor
Reaction score
hi,

going to dahab in three weeks time.
i've already taken care of the hotel and i think i'll be diving with poseidon divers. my wife and i are pretty inexperienced and they seem to get very good reviews. (if you have something to add please feel free...)

the reason why i posted is another one: food. can somebody point out some nice restaurants in dahab ?

i've been to hurghada (work trip, not diving) and i found it very difficult to find decent restaurants. actually i didn't like hurghada at all... i found it depressingly "new" and over-crowded. i hope dahab lives up to my dreams...

thanks a lot

Dahab is VERY cool, laid back small town type place with lots of little cafe/resturaunts on the beach where you sit on cushions and look across the sea to Saudi, drink tea and have shisha.

The diving is stunning too do the bells once you have a couple of dives under your belt and are feeling confident to do a deeper wall dive..

hi, i was in Dahab last christmas and there seemed to be plenty of places to eat . one restaurant called the three fish was pretty good (they have delicious starters). we tried a few others too and never had a bad meal, its also incredibly cheap. 5 of us could eat out with for less than £25 (about $40 i think).

also i hope you like cats. wherever you eat they will be around and often come to sit on your chair.

the diving is great too and the bells was great, infact it was my favourite dive there - the wall between the bells and teh blue hole is fantastic.

Guy

as described by others, small cafes line the shore of the bedouin village. Hawkers will try and entice you inside. Be prepared for the battle of the boom boxes although I generally like their choice in music, Bob Marley and lots of classic sixties rock.

I do not know where you are staying, but if it is not in the bedouin village, make sure you get there. bedouin pickup truck taxis are plentiful. There is a pub pizza parlor, built to look like a sailing ship, called Tota. The owner or part owner is Irish. Good place for an early pizza and Stella before the night scene develops. Many years ago the hygiene in the village was terrible, many travelers got upset tummies. It is still wise to be a bit careful, especially in the summer.

Dive the sites south of Dahab too. The northern sites, Canyon, Blue Hole (Bells is 200 meters north of the Blue Hole) are interesting but get extremely crowded. The southern sites are now discovered but still less busy than the others. A camel dive safari to Ras Abu Galum is not a bad way to spend the day, but it will be a HOT treck at this time of the year. I have had some wonderful night dives at the canyon, espically by the light of the full moon.

Weather permiting, do try and dive the site called Islands. Entry and exit can be difficult if the wind ans surf is up. Also, a 5 minute boat trip out to Napoleon reef will get you away from the budget diving masses.

Since this is my first ever post on the scubaboard, i might add, that I have lived and worked in Egypt for the last 12 years. I try and dive every two weeks to escape the maddness of cairo.

peace,
redkev

Jays is a good place to eat....out front of jays they have a menu of what they are serving for the night (the menu changes daily) You can place your order during the day and come back at night to eat (they only make so many dinners)

Next door to Nirvana dive shop (close to Lighthouse dive site) is a new place ....the cook is from India and makes some great dishes- some of the food is a little spicy.

A little cafe outside Fantasea dive shop is a nice place to grab a bite in the afternoon.

Enjoy your trip.

thanks a lot for all your help.

i'll post a trip-report when we get back to portugal.

Hi, I just got back from Dahab yesterday. There are lots of restaurants but the best bet is to ask the people that work over there for their recommends.
I have just spent 4 weeks doing my DM with Poseidon divers. It is a very friendly and professionally run centre and caters for all abilities of divers. If you haven't actually made up your mind yet, then choose them and you won't regret it. They have been one of the busiest centres in Dahab over the last few weeks when it has been a little quieter in town. This is due to the amount of recommends from other divers and also people walking in, looking around and seeing what a great setup they have.
Hope Dahab lives up to your expectations. I am sure it will. Happy Hols

:wink:

A few days ago a Swiss tourist who was snorkeling in Dahab was attacked by an unidentified shark. The shark severed her arm and she was flown to Switzerland for treatment.

I suppose that sharks rarely attack scubadivers. However, there was another attack in Sharm just a few months ago. Of course the incidents are unrelated, but it is still strange. I don't think there have been such incidents for many years in these area. I hope it is not a new trend.

Jai Bar:
:wink:

A few days ago a Swiss tourist who was snorkeling in Dahab was attacked by an unidentified shark. The shark severed her arm and she was flown to Switzerland for treatment.

I suppose that sharks rarely attack scubadivers. However, there was another attack in Sharm just a few months ago. Of course the incidents are unrelated, but it is still strange. I don't think there have been such incidents for many years in these area. I hope it is not a new trend.

do you have any more info on this ? some site where i can read more about it ??

mikelegurra:
do you have any more info on this ? some site where i can read more about it ??

This information comes from a friend who is working as a dive guide in Dahab.

14 year old girl was snorkeling with her mom in the lagoon at the Hilton Hotel. They saw 2 sharks around them and one attacked the girl...bitting off her hand. The lagoon is now closed to swimmers and the marine police are baiting the water to try and catch/kill the sharks. It was also said that the following day 2 tiger sharks were spotted at the dive site 3 pools.

I too have not been able to find anything on the web about this attack and the above information is coming from a dive guide that works in Dahab.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom