Dahab solo trip in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chr1stine

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi! I'm new to SB, I have so many questions, I tried to read up on other threads to not repeat same Qs, forgive me if I do!!

I'm looking for recommendations on Hotel/dive shop in Dahab for April. Is it really worth it to book at a hotel where they have their own dive shop? Or is it just as easy to book a better hotel (looking into Sheikh Ali) and get a package with a separate dive shop?
I've been looking at Red Sea Relax Resort, or the Tropitel Dahab Resort through Booking.com, has anyone stayed at either one this year?
I've booked through Booking.com, which feels a bit silly since I cannot get a dive/stay package this way. Should I contact the hotels directly?
What price should I pay for a 10-dive package (shore dives) with full equipment rental? I saw prices of 40 Euros per dive... that seems very high for shore dives??
Thank you in advance for any info on diving in Dahab!

Welcome to SB.

There are a few threads on Dahab, so you might want to do some preliminary research and come back with your short list for some recommendations.

Here is an example: Dahab and Marsa Alam, Egypt -Scuba operator recommendations

In general, however, and this hinges on your budget and the type of diving you are looking to do, you want to get the best overall dive experience for your hard earned $. What you are looking for in a hotel may align with the on-site operator, but not always. You should be able to negotiate directly with the operator for for a 10 day package with equipment rental. Booking your hotel on-line with a fully refundable option is probably a good idea at the current time.

Regarding Tropitel Dahab: the dive shop (Lagona Divers) is currently closed but the DM (Samy) is available on call for 1:1 guided tours. Very nice and professional guy who will show you the best spots around Dahab and organise everything you need. You can contact him upfront and he will be there.
In terms of hotel, Tropitel Dahab is not bad if you get a decent room (first floor, near the dive shop). I would also consider Happy Village (south of Dahab, same dive shop) unless you are keen to have an accommodation downtown with more vibes and night life.

Regarding Tropitel Dahab: the dive shop (Lagona Divers) is currently closed but the DM (Samy) is available on call for 1:1 guided tours. Very nice and professional guy who will show you the best spots around Dahab and organise everything you need. You can contact him upfront and he will be there.
In terms of hotel, Tropitel Dahab is not bad if you get a decent room (first floor, near the dive shop). I would also consider Happy Village (south of Dahab, same dive shop) unless you are keen to have an accommodation downtown with more vibes and night life.
thank you so much for this, very useful and much appreciated. since I need to rent gear I may need to look elswhere. Are you familiar with Red Sea Relax Resort? I have seen it recommended in guide books and it keeps popping up in top places to rent, but havent found any comments about it here. Just curious, as it has very mixed reviews.

thank you so much for this, very useful and much appreciated. since I need to rent gear I may need to look elswhere. Are you familiar with Red Sea Relax Resort? I have seen it recommended in guide books and it keeps popping up in top places to rent, but havent found any comments about it here. Just curious, as it has very mixed reviews.

Please check your Inbox for a personal message

We stayed at Red Sea relax in 2019. It was great. The hotel is in the middle of everything and the ocean is across the promenade. It could not be more convenient. The only thing I did not like was that they did not serve breakfast until 0800. At the time it had a diveshop. However, if you book dives with planet divers which shares the other half of the resort, you get free nitrox. It more like 20-25 euros per tank dive plus equipment for the shore dives. All shore diving is under the supervision of a licensed guide. If you dive outside of the immediate area, they take you in a truck with a driver, so it is actually a good deal. You usually do two dives per trip so that is what you might be seeing for 40 euros.

The hotel is in the middle of everything and the ocean is across the promenade.
That's quite crazy in Dahab: you take a stroll over the promenade and you see divers in full gear crossing (or you cross the promenade in full gear to go the entry pont between two bars). Or groups with their 2x3 m carpet for the equipment gearing up on the main street.

Hi! I'm new to SB, I have so many questions, I tried to read up on other threads to not repeat same Qs, forgive me if I do!!

I'm looking for recommendations on Hotel/dive shop in Dahab for April. Is it really worth it to book at a hotel where they have their own dive shop? Or is it just as easy to book a better hotel (looking into Sheikh Ali) and get a package with a separate dive shop?
I've been looking at Red Sea Relax Resort, or the Tropitel Dahab Resort through Booking.com, has anyone stayed at either one this year?
I've booked through Booking.com, which feels a bit silly since I cannot get a dive/stay package this way. Should I contact the hotels directly?
What price should I pay for a 10-dive package (shore dives) with full equipment rental? I saw prices of 40 Euros per dive... that seems very high for shore dives??
Thank you in advance for any info on diving in Dahab!

For hotels I will give you a little bit different perspective, I know some people do not like Air B&B but every time I go to Dahab I use Air B&B. You can get some amazing apartment/condos for the same price or a lot less than a little hotel room. IMO much more value for your money, most have a nice little patio/roof top patio, living room, separate bedroom, kitchen etc. especially if your there for a while.

For the diving almost all is shore diving some will be right off the main area and you just walk in others they will take you in a short truck ride. 40 Euros seems very high, prices should more like 25 euro.
For dive centers I personally like Dahab Divers/Team Blue Immersion and H20 divers very very reputable centers that follow all safety standards, very nice clean compressor rooms, and nice people.
For shore dive site my favorites are (pending what your certification is) Abu Helal, Bells (swim all the way to the blue hole and go through the arch), Tiger Canyon, 3 Valleys Canyon, Neptune Cave.

I don't know how long your going to be in Dahab and if adventure are your thing but personally I love travel adventures and another activity I loved was taking a trip in Jordan to see Petra. I did it by my self but there are tons of tour operators in Dahab that will take you. Also Wadi Rum is some of the most beautiful desert scenery. And if you have lots of time jump over to the Israeli side and explore there too, I really enjoyed this as well.

We stayed at Red Sea relax in 2019. It was great. The hotel is in the middle of everything and the ocean is across the promenade. It could not be more convenient. The only thing I did not like was that they did not serve breakfast until 0800. At the time it had a diveshop. However, if you book dives with planet divers which shares the other half of the resort, you get free nitrox. It more like 20-25 euros per tank dive plus equipment for the shore dives. All shore diving is under the supervision of a licensed guide. If you dive outside of the immediate area, they take you in a truck with a driver, so it is actually a good deal. You usually do two dives per trip so that is what you might be seeing for 40 euros.
Hi, thank you for this info, quite helpful to have a notion of prices!
I ended up booking at the Tropitel resort since they are actually cheaper with half-board than Red Sea Relax with breakfast only :confused:
I’ll shop around for a diving package when I get there, grateful for the tips! Thanks!

:eek::yeahbaby:
For the diving almost all is shore diving some will be right off the main area and you just walk in others they will take you in a short truck ride. 40 Euros seems very high, prices should more like 25 euro.
For dive centers I personally like Dahab Divers/Team Blue Immersion and H20 divers very very reputable centers that follow all safety standards, very nice clean compressor rooms, and nice people.
For shore dive site my favorites are (pending what your certification is) Abu Helal, Bells (swim all the way to the blue hole and go through the arch), Tiger Canyon, 3 Valleys Canyon, Neptune cave

thank you for this, less than 2 weeks to go, so looking forward to it! :yeahbaby:
I’ll surely stay around town however, once upon a time (before the war in Syria...) I backpacked from Cairo to Istanbul for 3 months, so I’ve already hit most of the tourists sights in surrounding countries.
i have booked a mini diving safari for my second week there, now excuse me while I go back to that thread about shark attacks at Ras Mohammed !!! :eek::jaws:

Back
Top Bottom