Dahab info request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TEERLKAY:
This information comes from a friend who is working as a dive guide in Dahab.

14 year old girl was snorkeling with her mom in the lagoon at the Hilton Hotel. They saw 2 sharks around them and one attacked the girl...bitting off her hand. The lagoon is now closed to swimmers and the marine police are baiting the water to try and catch/kill the sharks. It was also said that the following day 2 tiger sharks were spotted at the dive site 3 pools.

I too have not been able to find anything on the web about this attack and the above information is coming from a dive guide that works in Dahab.

not very good...

i planned to do a little snorkeling as well as diving and now i'm feeling a bit nervous... going to dahab on tuesday and still can't find any more info on the subject.

i guess i'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

thanks

mikelegurra:
not very good...

i planned to do a little snorkeling as well as diving and now i'm feeling a bit nervous... going to dahab on tuesday and still can't find any more info on the subject.

i guess i'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

thanks

I couldn't find any info in English, but here in Israel this story got to the main news in TV, papers, net etc. There seems to be an increase of Shark encounters in the area of Sharm (quite far from Dahab) in the last months. Perhaps it can be attributed to the french plane crash several months ago. Anyway, I think that this high chances to see sharks is another reason to come diving in Sinai, not the contrary :)

Jai Bar:
Anyway, I think that this high chances to see sharks is another reason to come diving in Sinai, not the contrary :)

i wont even tell her about this thread... otherwise our trip would get called off...

thanks for the info.

Go to Dahab and enjoy!

It's a great place and very laid back. It's very rare to see sharks in Dahab.
Go diving and don't give it a second thought about this accident.

blimey. swam in the hilton lagoon when i was there. its tiny. cant really imagine why (and how!) tigers got in there if they did.

Food was good in dahab though, hilton wasnt great at all though funly enough, as they were trying to sell what they thought we wanted (sandwiches, burgers etc..) when it was the egyptian stuff i liked best :eyebrow:. Hilton was new when we went i think so may have changed a bit now though.

bathbiggles:
hilton wasnt great at all though funly enough, as they were trying to sell what they thought we wanted (sandwiches, burgers etc..) when it was the egyptian stuff i liked best :eyebrow:. .

Off to the hilton longbeach at Hurghada in September, hope the food is a bit more authentic than just good old junk food and other western cuisine ...

Biggles, i look down on you, literally, live on the hill at Booker :wink: above Marlow

Cheers

Jim

Hi,

Dahab is great. I really liked the food at Al Capone on the main boardwalk. The fish was outstanding. The diving was wonderful too. a boat trip to Gabr El Bint shouldn't be missed.
as for the sharks, I have also heard that its due to the plane crash that deposited a lot of human flesh in the sea, so the sharks developed a taste for us.
Apparently though, sharks don't go for divers. The equipment and the bubbles scare them, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Go and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom