Dacor Reg Rebuild

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smorneau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got an old Dacor Olympic 400 with some gear I purchased that has been sitting around. I want to try my hand at my first reg rebuild and thought this would be a good candidate since I have no intention to use it for life support. I am looking to find a schematic as well as parts for both first and second stages. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be helpful.

Thanks

manual available from: Vintage Scuba - Vintage Scuba Gear at Vintage Double Hose
In turn, click on:-
Manuals & Catalogs / Continue / Dacor Service Manual /
and then either:
DACOR Dart, Olympic, Double Hose.pdf
or
DACOR Regulators including double hose.pdf
(they’re both the same file)

Those guys also sometimes have some parts.

good luck, and enjoy

Official parts kits are going to be hard to find and even if you do, the orings are going to be 30+yo so odds are you should not use them anyway. On the up side, the orings are common sizes so they are no problem to get and there are only a few in that reg. The first stage diaphgram from a US Diver Conshelf/RAM/DAAM and many others will work so thats not a problem. I think that a Trident A213 HP seat will work but I have not tried it, odds are you can polish the seat to get it to work- not exactly ideal but when dealing with regs that you can not get parts for, sometimes you have to do less than ideal things and dive it accordingly.
The second stage is not a problem to service. The LP seat is a common size, you can buy them from Trident or just make your own. The diaphgram (which is likely OK) and exhaust valves (20mm if I remember correctly) are common size as well...

I have all of the parts that you might need for this regulator, I have been working on Dacor regulators almost exclusively since 1989 and will help you in any way I can via e-mail Let me know what you need Regards Scott

I have all of the parts that you might need for this regulator, I have been working on Dacor regulators almost exclusively since 1989 and will help you in any way I can via e-mail Let me know what you need Regards Scott

Scott, do you by any chance have an IP adapter for the Dacor double hose regs? The manual says to use it but so far I have not been able to find an example of one to look at. I am considering reproducing them (or one of my own design) and would love to have some photos or any other info on the original one.

Thanks

Herman, Sorry I do not have the part you are looking for. I recently bid on a large lot on eBay but the price was too high. When I got into repairing gear, the double hose regs were still curios to be had for $20.00 or less, so there was never a need to accumulate parts. Now that vintage is cool, well, hindsight/foresight. Let me know if I can be of any other help in the future Regards Scott

Will do. The item I am looking for is a service tool, not a reg part. It is used to adjust/test the IP of all of the Dacor DH regs. All I really need are photos since I intend to reproduce them, measurements would be nice but I can reverse engineer those. Appearantly the thing is pretty rare, so far I have not found anyone that has one. I make custom tools to service the old UDS/Voit regs and thought I might look into making tools for some of the other brands.....plus I have a Dacor I need to service.

Scott
Its going good. I got the first stage apart, cleaned, lubed and put back together. It breaths great. I got the first stage about half apart. I can not figure how the diagram comes out. I got the retaining washer out. The adjusting screw is also stuck do to corrosion. I am going to soak that in vinegar hoping to loosening it. I tested the IP before I to it apart. It was at 156psi with very quick recovery, does that seem high?

I will definitely need a few parts, I will pm you when I get it all apart and know what I need.
Thanks
Scott

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Scott
Its going good. I got the first stage apart, cleaned, lubed and put back together. It breaths great. I got the first stage about half apart. I can not figure how the diagram comes out. I got the retaining washer out. The adjusting screw is also stuck do to corrosion. I am going to soak that in vinegar hoping to loosening it. I tested the IP before I to it apart. It was at 156psi with very quick recovery, does that seem high?

I will definitely need a few parts, I will pm you when I get it all apart and know what I need.
Thanks
Scott

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

This is how you get it out.
After you get the diaphragm retainer, washer and springs out, plug up all of the ports (HP and LP) but one. Attach the reg to a tank (valve closed) or attach a dust cap with an oring in it, the objective is to block off all air passages but one LP port. Port plugs are better than hoses and second stages. After you have all the passages blocked, insert a rubber tipped air nozzle into the remaining LP port and pressurize the port with the air nozzle. This will likely bow the diaphgram outward but not dislodge it. Keeping it presurized, I usually have to repeatedly press on it with my finger to dislodge it but with some work it will usually start to come out of the reg. After one side has moved to the point that it will no longer hold air pressure, you can slide an oring pick or similar tool under that edge and work it out. Be careful when using the tool to not damage any surface, esp the seating surface of the diaphragm.

A more brute force method I have to resort to on occasion it to carefully cut an "X" in the center of the diaphragm with a razor then pry up on of to X sections with an oring pick. Now grab the diaphragm with a pair of plyers and pull it out. Its common for it to come out in pieces. Try not to scratch the diaphragm pad under the center of the diaphragm but if you do, you can buff the rough edges off and cause no real damage. What you want to avoid at all cost with either method is damaging the diaphragm seating surface. Damage that and you have a nice paperweight.

Back
Top Bottom