Dacor fin strap alert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Buzo Loco

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
After wearing out two sets of Mares fins I bought a set of Dacor Tigers. Wonderful fins, however, the straps break. One in the pool during training and another snapped while I was sitting suited up on the back of the dive boat. I recovered the fin.

Both straps broke in the middle, not at the buckle. Neither were over tightened.

I had to buy two buckles to get a new strap (after you buy one of these combos, all you need is more straps). So far I have not found Dacor straps at any shop online or locally.

Anyone else having the same problem with Dacor quality?

Anyone here work for Dacor and could address the problem?

After wearing out two sets of Mares fins I bought a set of Dacor Tigers. Wonderful fins, however, the straps break. One in the pool during training and another snapped while I was sitting suited up on the back of the dive boat. I recovered the fin.

Both straps broke in the middle, not at the buckle. Neither were over tightened.

I had to buy two buckles to get a new strap (after you buy one of these combos, all you need is more straps). So far I have not found Dacor straps at any shop online or locally.

Anyone else having the same problem with Dacor quality?

Thoughs:

1. You can buy just the straps. Whoever made you buy the whole system over again is ripping you off. Since Mares & Dacor are now a single corporate entitity, the straps & buckles are IDENTICAL to those used in all the Mares fins like the Plana Avanti Quattros. So if you can't buy just Dacor straps, go to someone who sells Mares fins & get the straps from them. AAMOF, I have the Tigers while Pearce has the Quattros. There is NO discernable difference in the straps or ABS system for these fins.

2. I have never had a problem with the straps on my Tigers. Or any Mares straps for that matter. I can't remember the last time either of us had a strap break. Touching wood so as not to jinx anyone.

3. There is a technique to using the ABS system. One you have the fins properly tightened up on your boot/booties, you do not need to touch the straps at all. You should be able to simply open up the cams, slip you fin in/out and close the cams. Also, WHERE do you have the straps on your feet? On the back of the heel or just above where the Achilles tendon runs? It IS possible to over-tighten fin straps to the point where any foot movement will break them (as opposed to them breaking on the outside of the cams.)

4. IMHO you got a bad batch. Regardless of make, I've never heard of BOTH fin straps going on a relatively new pair of fins.

~SubMariner~

I had the same problem last year with my Mares fin straps , broke 3 in one season. (same company)

Rubber varies from batch to batch, can result in a poor quality end product , I had the same problem with a ski rack a couple of years ago.

Rubber is compounded then compressed in a mould and then heat cured or vulcanised. Tight controls are required at every stage of the process to ensure a good finished product.

Rubber is also very knotch sensitive, meaning one little knick or cut and it will tear easily.

I fitted my fins with spring straps. (problem solved)

Mike D

Interesting that in Europe you can buy the straps for Dacor and Mares separately. However, in the U.S. you are stuck buying both buckles just to get the factory strap.

I had checked out some of the European dive sites and they do have the straps, but the shipping to Arizona would be more than the cost of the straps.

Interesting that in Europe you can buy the straps for Dacor and Mares separately. However, in the U.S. you are stuck buying both buckles just to get the factory strap.

I've never had a problem getting only the straps in North America.

FYI, I currently live in GA; previously I lived in Canada.

Go to another dive shop. Your LDS is not customer-friendly.

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom