DA Mistral Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Luis, and thanks. Luis and I have communicated via PM, and after looking over his concerns I have to take back what I said about mushroom valves verses the duckbill. My demonstration should be looked at as only applying to clearing the breathing loop of water (we do that sometimes :wink: ); apparently air acts much differently in the loop. To me, as a non-engineer, it seemed to be applicable to air. As I have come to realize, that impression can be incorrect.

I still prefer the duckbill to the mushroom valve for breathing resistance, and at times will use a mouthpiece without non-returns (especially my Healthways mouthpiece, as it is quite small in comparison to the USD/AMF Voit mouthpieces). When we went through the U.S. Navy School for Underwater Swimmers (1967) we were not allowed to use the mouthpiece non-return valves. This was a three-week course, and in our third week some of us sneaked non-return valves into our mouthpiece prior to some of our qualification dives.

Here is the DX Overpressure Breathing mouthpiece (predecessor to the Mistral). It is a metal mouthpiece without a non-return in the exhalation side. It actually did have a non-return in the inhalation side, but it was a very unusual ring-style piece of rubber with two retainer "posts" (for lack of a better word).
IMG_3871.jpg

Without the non-return ring.

IMG_3875.jpg

With the non-return ring, which is how I did it as without this the venturi would be too great.

DXOverpressureSchematic-1.jpg

DX Overpressure Breathing regulator diagram, showing the hose-within-a-hose concept.

IMG_5968.jpg

The Healthways mouthpiece on the later Scuba Gold Label regulators was much smaller than the USD mouthpieces. The following photo shows it in comparison to the Hope-Page mouthpiece, which is the first modern mouthpiece and was used on USD double hose regulators until they developed the Kleer-EZ Mouthpiece (which we now call the "straight" mouthpiece).
IMG_1265.jpg

I found that this Healthways mouthpiece only delivered sufficient air if I removed the wagonwheel cages completely and used it with only the internal baffle plate.
IMG_1270.jpg

Hope this helps the Mistral discussion.

SeaRat

From band-aids to surgery is all I have to say. Actually I do have more to say ... It is very refreshing that this group is intelligent, objective and insightful. Thank you for this discussion; I will put what I understand to practice and what I did not, I will strive to during those long drives to work when my mind is buzzing with ideas and I'm at my most creative.

Respectfully,

Chris S.
Jax, FL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom