US Divers steel tank restoration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like to keep my tanks somewhat decent looking, not bothered with nicks or scratches. This tank was hideous though, it needed a makeover! MikeGuyver, if I were you, I'd definitely restore the ones you own... Why look for two more when you already have two???

Chez722 and others,

I watched Chez's photos, and see that his son has his nose under his shirt...presumably there were some vapors off-gassing. As an industrial hygienist, I have to say that some of these compounds can have pretty nasty solvents or acids that you really need to protect yourself against. If the label says it is a respiratory hazard, you need to see what the compound is, and get a cartridge respirator that fits the hazard (for solvents, it is an organic vapor cartridge). The gloves need to protect against that specific hazard, and there are glove selection charts to help with this decision. Don't assume that any plastic or vinyl glove will protect adequately from a particular solvent. The solvent/chemical should be on the label, but if not you need the MSDS (now, with Global Harmonization, they will be called Safety Data Sheets, or SDSs).

Chez did a great thing by doing all this outside; garages are not well ventilated, and can cause some problems with solvent exposure. With solvents, its always a good idea to have a fire extinguisher available too.

Usually, industrial operations are well designed to handle these hazards. Schools are sometimes designed well, and sometimes not, to control these hazards.

Sometimes you need to think a bit outside the box, and realize that some of the old paints also were lead-based. If you are removing them, especially by dry methods, test for lead. You don't want to breathe dusts containing lead, so a different type of respirotory protection is necessary a HEPA filter on the cartridge respirator (you cannot tell if you have a good seal with a "dust mask" although the N-95 toxic dush masks are pretty good). Don't use a paper mask with a single band--they are meant for "non-toxic" dusts, e.i. road dust (without silica).

SeaRat

John C. Ratliff, CSP, CIH, MSPH

John is absolutely right, Ben and I were using 3M respirators with a pre-filter over the primary filters off camera. These are 70% zinc and heavy lead based paint and solvents; toxic to your delicate innards over time. The Material Data Safety Sheets for these products can be requested at your paint shop or found readily online. They will tell you what minimum PPE Personal Protective Equipment you will need to do this job safely. Remember to always paint outside and up wind.

The other thing is not to allow the waste to get into your yard or ground; it needs to be treated as hazardous waste and not allowed to contaminate your soil.

SeaRat

FWIW I just had two USD LP72s hydro'd with both the epoxy internal liner and the vinyl exterior liner. They are going to give them a plus rating now that I have provided the PST REE spec. sheet. Of course that may be moot as they left water in them and trashed the liner. I will see what happens this week after they tumble them.

FWIW I just had two USD LP72s hydro'd with both the epoxy internal liner and the vinyl exterior liner. They are going to give them a plus rating now that I have provided the PST REE spec. sheet. Of course that may be moot as they left water in them and trashed the liner. I will see what happens this week after they tumble them.

I know it's a lot of work to restore them.... But, They do look nice...:wink: myphone 512.jpgmyphone 574.jpg I like too..myphone 057.jpgmyphone 428.jpg
I dive and drive they all the time.... And I enjoy them... :cool2:

Jim....

What about hydro testing, I heard new regulations are now limiting hydro testing on tanks that are to old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom