D9/s6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tribaltim:
Alright yes I'm a fairly new diver but I don't understand why would you put out a new watch but not be able to have wireless connection to your tank data? I mean here I thought you were finally making an awsome "AFFORDABLE" kick butt watch but I can't even get my tank PSI?

I guess I don't understand - the D9 does have air Integration -yeah, as an optional transmitter.

tedwhiteva:
I guess I don't understand - the D9 does have air Integration -yeah, as an optional transmitter.
You don't. :wink:
The D9 is a receiver (standard), the transmitter(s) are optional.
Up to three of them, as the D9 does up to three mixes.
Same is true for the Vytec. Not everyone needs or wants air integration,
so Suunto makes the transmitter(s) an option. The D9 is also good to 200m.

The D6 does only 2 nitrox mixes and is good to 150m. They both have deep stops.
There's something else different, dive planning or so, use the compare link above.

I know for a fact that the Vytec does up to 3 mixes but only *one* AI source. I'm pretty sure the D9 works the same way.

Edit: Yes the D9 only works with one transmitter, same as the Vytecs.

IMO, the AI that I had on my Cobra was overrated. For example, the only thing that is actually downloaded to SDM is the starting and ending pressures. This is nothing more than you could easily key in yourself without the AI, I do this with my Vytec to double check my SAC calculations. If you thought you would be able to get your gas usage information throughout the dive you'd be sadly mistaken. The estimated gas minutes remaining is nice for a few dives but isn't accurate unless you dive very square profiles and I soon found it to be more annoying than anything else.

As always, YMMV.

Vie:
It doan need no steenkin' digital compass either!

If Suunto had also gotten rid of the compass feature I'd buy a D6...

Agree. They'd both be more attractive products without the queer digital compass included.

Anyone here use a D9? Can you turn the compass feature off?

___

I have a D9. You can't turn it off (compass) but you DON'T HAVE TO USE IT. You have to press a button and hold for 2 sec to activate it.

Cheers.

I have the D9 and love it...except for the strap.

If you want the compass to 'come up' than you hold down a button for 2 seconds. Then the compass displays for a short period. Otherwise you don't see the display.

I've not had a problem with the computer once it syncs with the transmitter.

I have the D9 and you don't have to actiivate the compass feature. The computer activates by water contact or manually. You can't forget to activate the computer unless you leave it on the boat or shore but those people who do should be left in the water anyway ;-). It is a nice computer, easy to use and the air integration is nice as it is on the same screen as the rest of the data unlike the Atom (at least v1 of the Atom). I still have an analog backup pressure gauge but I generally have it clipped behind me on my BC just in case I need it (which I never have).

StSomewhere:
I know for a fact that the Vytec does up to 3 mixes but only *one* AI source. I'm pretty sure the D9 works the same way.

Edit: Yes the D9 only works with one transmitter, same as the Vytecs.

IMO, the AI that I had on my Cobra was overrated. For example, the only thing that is actually downloaded to SDM is the starting and ending pressures. This is nothing more than you could easily key in yourself without the AI, I do this with my Vytec to double check my SAC calculations. If you thought you would be able to get your gas usage information throughout the dive you'd be sadly mistaken. The estimated gas minutes remaining is nice for a few dives but isn't accurate unless you dive very square profiles and I soon found it to be more annoying than anything else.

As always, YMMV.

I have SDM 2.3.0 and under my Dive Profile tab, a constantly updated air pressure usage is listed. It is also available upon surfacing in my Dive Log which is updated every 1 second. Most of you that have consoles have errors in them because of their close proximity to other equipment. I calibrate my compass prior to every dive and verify my position by floating a Magellen iFinder go on the end of a reel and a float. It logs waypoints and I check my progress with the GPS underwater. It works well with my Seadoo Seascooter Explorer. I really like the compact size and the ability to move around deep wrecks and still maintain my 9 minute bottom NDL. Yeah, it only does one mix by transmitter, but I dont dive on Nitrox yet, but I'm happy to have the option and since I'm 6' tall, it works really well as my regular watch. Most other watches look pitifully small on my wrist.

I absolutely love my D9 and I'm glad I have AI. Sure I have a back-up console but I haven't used it, or my octopus rig, yet.

We all have to dive with what we find to be comfortable and modify our equipment to suit our tastes. This suits me just fine.

I now use a back-up analog brass glass guage as I have had too many dives where the pressure reading drops out sometime during my dive and then it resets itself correctly after a few minutes. These dives have been in pools, springs, open water reefs as well as wrecks. My LDS has tried working with me (he even spoke with them at DEMA) and we have even had phone conversations with Suunuto. Their response was for me to send it back and they would check it out and return. However this process was going to take a minimum of 3 to 4 weeks or more and they were not willing to lend me a replacement. I'm disgusted with their attitudes and response concerning this product and will not buy another product from them though I also have 3 kids that dive. It still works well enough to download the dive summary (with obvious error fall outs for false pressure readings) and I like the other features though I do wish I could get the backlight to constantly stay on during my dive. I have spoken with 4 or 5 other D9 owners on dive charters that have similarly had these issues such that it appears to either be a software and/or design issue. I'm very surprised to hear other folks on here who have not had these problems.

Back
Top Bottom