D9 Battery change "How To"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank your for your advice. I bought a new battery and it finally started working unit l I realized that the compass was not working correctly even if the calibration process reported a "passed". Finally, I decided to send it to Suunto to see what they have to say about it.
I really don't know how I could be closing the lid incorrectly; no matter how hard I screw it, you can see it moves almost every dive. I don't even consider the possibility of it being the O ring's fault, because when water comes it it is always a consequence of the lid being already loose and unscrewable by hand.
I would have extracted the module and done as you said, buy that is not possible from below; I would need to unscrew the top of the D9 and I haven't got the tool to do so. Inside you can really see the effects of the salt water.

Thank your for your advice. I bought a new battery and it finally started working unit l I realized that the compass was not working correctly even if the calibration process reported a "passed". Finally, I decided to send it to Suunto to see what they have to say about it.
I really don't know how I could be closing the lid incorrectly; no matter how hard I screw it, you can see it moves almost every dive. I don't even consider the possibility of it being the O ring's fault, because when water comes it it is always a consequence of the lid being already loose and unscrewable by hand.
I would have extracted the module and done as you said, buy that is not possible from below; I would need to unscrew the top of the D9 and I haven't got the tool to do so. Inside you can really see the effects of the salt water.

Since you already sent your computer to Suunto, probably my thoughts are too late to help you. At any rate, here they are:

a) What are you using to screw the retainer ring? There is a special wrench to open (and close) back cases.

b) The module does come out from the back of the D9. You don´t need to remove the front glass to do that. Is not a simple operation and you have to be extremely careful not to harm the four internal reeds that are operated by the four push buttons. More important, have them well aligned when reassembling the unit.

c) Did you try using a new O ring? Maybe the one you are using has lost compressibility and pushes back the retainer ring.

Post the outcome when you get it back from Suunto.

I've just got back from a dive trip, where on first setting my D9 to dive got the "Battery Low" warning. Luckily before I left for the trip I'd ordered spares from babz_s on ebay (I've used babz_s several times and service is always good) The batteries I bought are DL2450 DURACELL Lithium Batteries.

I have the same case opening tool as pictured at the start of this FAQ, and put this and the spare batteries in my save a dive kit before the trip.

I made sure that the case was clean, and the o ring free from dust, fluff, hairs etc and lightly coated the o ring with silicone grease.

The change went fine and the D9 has since completed around 14 dives to around 30m with no leakage.

Link to batteries on eBay - Click Here

I'be just changed my battery in the d9 following the instructions above.it was easy enough,however when I switch it to dive mode...it keeps beeping and locks so I can't switch it off.
Has anyone got any ideas on what I may have missed.
Thanks for and responses.

Strange behavior from your D9 Siampaul. Never heard or experienced such a malfunction on a D9.

Only thought that occurs to me is that, maybe, when you are tightening the retainer ring on the back, the small mechanical strain suffered by the case is enough to close the wet contact circuit. This has happened to me twice closing up Suunto Stinger. They lock into dive mode upon tightening. As soon as started to unscrew the ring (in the Stinger is on the front of the unit), the dive mode would go away. After several trials I discovered that the wet contact (which is very close to the case side) was touched by the body at the end of the tightening process. A small and thin plastic isolator inserted between the body and wet contact reed solved the problem.

Let us know if this helps.

​hi guys,
[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]
i will be replacing the battery on my d9tx and im seeking for advice preferably from someone who has already done such a thing

dive safe

elias

[/FONT]

I have replaced the battery on at least one D9tx. Uses the same Oring as standard D9 and you better make absolutely sure to install a new Oring. Do not intend to reuse the old one. Could cost you an arm and a leg.

The D9tx is simpler to open (and close) than the D9 because it uses six (6) small torx screws instead of the difficult to open and close screw ring requiring an special tool.

Finally, pressure test it in a water chamber before taking it for the first dive.

Good luck.

​hi guys,

i will be replacing the battery on my d9tx and im seeking for advice preferably from someone who has already done such a thing

dive safe

elias

hi Arturo

thanks for your reply :cheers:

i opened the d9tx earlier today and i noticed that the oring is not the standard d9 oring. it looks like a purpose made oring for suunto.

20131018_224619.jpg

the question now is from where to get the oring? :huh::huh::huh::huh: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I have replaced the battery on at least one D9tx. Uses the same Oring as standard D9 and you better make absolutely sure to install a new Oring. Do not intend to reuse the old one. Could cost you an arm and a leg.

The D9tx is simpler to open (and close) than the D9 because it uses six (6) small torx screws instead of the difficult to open and close screw ring requiring an special tool.

Finally, pressure test it in a water chamber before taking it for the first dive.

Good luck.

i also noticed a lot of rust on the computer which is unacceptable for a dive computer of this price range that is less than 2 years old with 30 dives on the clock

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom