D6i surface time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barcellos

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, just bought the D6i and can't find where it shows what is the required surface time between for example first and second dive. I just see what my current surface time is. Can anyone help?

Also, another point I noticed is that the surface time counter keeps counting even when I have finished diving and turned off the Dive Mode. Is that supposed to be that way? I have 80+ h of surface time as of now.

Thanks!

Barcellos

I don't have a D6i, mine is a D4i, and on that one after one dive a small admiration mark in a triangle icon shows that you should not star your repetitive dive yet.

I also have the same issue with the surface interval timer, it goes over 90 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Although I do see the triangle icon it doesn't tell me how many surface time I have left until I can go on my next dive..

I have had that same question and it seems to be a dark place into the computer calculations that won't be shown, it only advises you to extend the surface interval but not for how long. It would be very helpful if they showed this information.

In my case it takes usually between 30 and 60 minutes for the icon to disappear depending on the length and depth of the previous dive.

All I could find in the manuals is this:

"Diver Attention Symbol – Advice to Extend Surface Interval
Some patterns of diving cumulatively add a higher risk of DCI; for example, dives with short surface intervals, repetitive dives deeper than earlier ones, multiple ascents, and substantial multiday diving. When this is detected, in addition to adapting the de- compression algorithm, the Suunto RGBM model will in some circumstances also advise, with the Diver Attention Symbol, that you extend your surface interval."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to scubaboard! The real answer is there is no such thing as "required surface interval", so your computer will not provide it. There are no scuba police, You can go back in at any time. You will just have increased nitrogen loading which leads to decreased NDLs on subsequent dives.

The longer your surface Interval the smaller your amount of residual Nitrogen.

That said, some computers (suuntos) try to enforce a minimum surface interval of 1 hour (or longer, they are not real clear on what will extend it for how long) and will actually penalize your NDL on subsequent dives if you violate the surface interval.

Many commercial dive operations violate the 1 hour surface interval when they jam 2 single tank boat dives in before lunch. Sometime the surface interval can be as short as 30 minutes. The 2 dives are generally short and shallow under these circumstances to avoid NDL issues.

You may find it useful to (shudder) grab some dive tables and plan a series of repititive dives with different surface intervals. This will give you a better grasp on the effects of changing your surface interval.

I will take a closer look on the tables.. Thanks for the replies

Sent from my C6503 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom