D420 assembly tool for $90? Not!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Define savings, lol. I could probably make for about 50 cents in plastic, and an hour of print time. I'm a sucker for problem solving though, so if @rsingler pm's me the critical measurements, I'll probably bang out a design in the next few days!
Respectfully,
James
Hey James have you printed the older Scubapro brass regs - storage key?

IMG_2333.JPG

Wow, those mercenaries certainly have you coming and going with pricey specialty tools -- but nothing quite compares to the sheer hubris of selling a US 200.00 1.3 kilo steel contraption, whose sole purpose, is to install a 1.5 gram retaining ring into a groove on a Poseidon Cyklon second stage.

Though, to be honest, its heft is also quite effective in cracking black walnuts . . .

Regulator reassembly requires that when you screw in the valve assembly, you don't go until it stops, but instead stop when it's beginning to tighten, the big tooth of the flow vane (29) faces the mouthpiece and the two outer teeth of the flow vane ring (31) are at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock.
View attachment 597519
The handle tells you when you have the two outer teeth properly aligned.
View attachment 597520
This allows you to drop the flow vane washer (32) in with the correct tab alignment.
View attachment 597521
View attachment 597522
With the big tooth of the inner flow vane (29) facing the mouthpiece, the pre-dive switch (33) also fits easily.
View attachment 597523
View attachment 597524
Then it's a simple matter of screwing down the flow vane plug (35) with a pin wrench and you're done!

This $6 tool makes it easy!
View attachment 597526

Of course, one might ask, "Why bother in the first place, when I can do the whole thing without a special tool, and just use my pin wrench?"
View attachment 597527
Well, if you're a little OCD, the handle does help with tooth alignment. And the project is simple and fun.

DIY!

Really cool!

Thanks, Rob!

@lexvil , want to be the test dummy... er.... beta tester for a printed one?
Screenshot from 2020-07-12 06-28-48.png
Respectfully,
James

@lexvil , want to be the test dummy... er.... beta tester for a printed one?
View attachment 597696
Respectfully,
James
Sure! By the way the J-79 tuner is great, I was able to easily reduce the spring pressure almost 1/2 turn on my last dive, I think the soft seat takes a set over time and can tolerate less and less pressure as it all wears in.

Your tool is remanence of the common beer can opener Aka "church key" modified so many ways and used in regulator and valve repair in the genesis of diving.

Keep up the great work-- it is needed and immensely appreciated by the diving community

SDM 111

Sure! By the way the J-79 tuner is great, I was able to easily reduce the spring pressure almost 1/2 turn on my last dive, I think the soft seat takes a set over time and can tolerate less and less pressure as it all wears in.
Glad it's working out well... only thing still to overcome is a better way to mount it, or just use it as an occasional, semi-expendable, tool.
First iteration of the assembly tool should get printed tonight.
Respectfully,
James

The D420 CAD video shows the use of the Flow Vane Face Spanner PN 43.420.012 in screwing the valve assembly into the precise position necessary to complete service.
View attachment 597508
The Venturi sleeve (flow vane) needs to be in the correct position, and the flow vane ring needs to be correctly aligned to add the washer and Pre-dive switch. So of course I ordered one!
It comes in, and whaaaat!?? Ninety dollars? Well, I want to do this right. So...okay.

So I get home, and this is what my $90 bought.
View attachment 597509
You gotta be kidding me, right?

In the interest of DIY'ers everywhere, here is an $8 alternative.
To start with, the tool is basically a cylinder with two notches, with a handle that tells you you've aligned the flow vane ring properly. The cylinder is 29mm ID and 36mm OD. The handle is aligned with two 5mm notches. That's it.
View attachment 597510
View attachment 597511
View attachment 597512
View attachment 597513
But when you go to the hardware store, you discover that it is particularly difficult to find a cylinder of those dimensions. Here's a cheap compromise.
View attachment 597514
A sink drain is too narrow, but the transition to the sink attachment point is just right! A copper 1 1/4" coupling is similarly sized. Both are $5-6. If you don't have a 1/4" dowel lying about, that's not very expensive.

For the plastic version, start by trimming off the sink connection, and carve two notches 5mm x 1.5mm diametrically opposite each other.
View attachment 597515
Drill two 1/4" holes exactly in line with the notches (that part can be a little tricky - start with a tiny hole for centering).

Cut off the excess drain. Thread in the dowel, and boom! You're done.
View attachment 597516
View attachment 597517

Hello. Extremely well done. There's nothing wrong with getting around exorbitant tool prices.
Cheers.

Well, @James79 is a magician!
This thing fits perfectly!
20200716_200019.jpg

Sturdier than my sink drain.
However, I'm following Simon's lead and I'm going to have to give it away. The blue doesn't match my label. Bwaahaha! :rofl3:
20200716_200003.jpg

A perfect 3D printing job! Thanks, James!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom