D420 adapter for normal hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to fit a normal flex hose to my D420

So this is what mine looks like:

PXL_20201205_190853664.MP.jpg

And this is what I've found here:
A change of heart, Scubapro D420

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 11.12.55 AM.png

Is that an adapter that I'm looking at that can convert this strange port to a normal one that takes normal hose?

cc @lexvil from the picture.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 11.12.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 11.12.55 AM.png
    386.8 KB · Views: 48
Fairly certain you unscrewed the reg male end and not the hose from the second stage itself. The “disc” after the knurled LP hose end and the knurled collar are two different pieces.

That is to say, somebody tightened the **** out of the LP hose during assembly or disassembly was attempted with the wrong tool.

Ouch

So you are saying
the red part should stay on the reg
the green part should just come off, exposing a regular male connector?

PXL_20201205_190853664.MP (1).jpg

Well...

What am I supposed to do now....

@rsingler or one of the better trained SP guys probably more helpful, or whatever shop you bought it from.

That said, do you have the SP spline tool? In a pinch, a thick rubber sheet wrapped around the nut and a pair of channel locks can often get enough grip without damaging the hose or the reg male end. I imagine the reg side is either non circular (has a flat area around which to fit a crescent wrench) or has a female Allen on the inside. That’s obviously the sensitive half of this process so take care with that side. If it’s corroded and you’re asking the question, I’d give it to a shop to separate.

ok.... progress has been made..

PXL_20201205_194037388.jpg

Any suggestion how I can put this on and tighten it so that it doesn't come off so easily.

(Another thing I found is that some water drops are coming out as I'm taking this off.... is that expected?)

Ouch

So you are saying
the red part should stay on the reg
the green part should just come off, exposing a regular male connector?

View attachment 628605

Well...

What am I supposed to do now....

Yeah, the red part should have stayed on the reg. It may not have been tightened enough on installation or your hose connection got salt/sand/corrosion that locked up the hose connection.

If you are going to try to do it yourself, soak it in water overnight to try to loosen things up. Then you should be able to insert an Allen wrench from the reg side and grab the splines with a tool or wrap and wrench as mentioned above on the hose side. If that doesn't work I'd bring it to the shop you bought it from and let them take the responsibility if something breaks before it comes apart.

Edit I see you got it apart while I was typing.

Yeah, the red part should have stayed on the reg. It may not have been tightened enough on installation or your hose connection got salt/sand/corrosion that locked up the hose connection.

If you are going to try to do it yourself, soak it in water overnight to try to loosen things up. Then you should be able to insert an Allen wrench from the reg side and grab the splines with a tool or wrap and wrench as mentioned above on the hose side. If that doesn't work I'd bring it to the shop you bought it from and let them take the responsibility if something breaks before it comes apart.

Edit I see you got it apart while I was typing.

Yeah thanks for typing it up!!

As it turns out it's not that tight.

So I suspect the adapter part is just too lose to begin with.

ok.... progress has been made..

View attachment 628614

Any suggestion how I can put this on and tighten it so that it doesn't come off so easily.

(Another thing I found is that some water drops are coming out as I'm taking this off.... is that expected?)

Water does get in the threads of the hose connection during a dive. It's not a sealed connection and is one of the reasons to thoroughly soak your regs after diving so salt and silt don't lock up the threads. Fresh rinse water evaporates and the connection should dry eventually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom