CZM Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Its long....

Just got back from a nice long weekend in Coz. Stayed at Fiesta Americana and dove with Dive House.

Fiesta just got a new paint job. The whole hotel is almost a blood red. Man you can't miss it. The only complaint I had with them was there was NO water pressure Saturday morning. Sunday and Monday were fine.

The dive ops were once again great. One little mess up where my Nitrox cylinders ended up on the wrong boat, but that was quickly fixed.

Friday Afternoon: Santa Rosa wall..84ft 27min. Dive buddy hoovered air. Once again a nice drift dive on the wall. Saw lots of beautiful corals, sponges, fun swim thru's, and a small turtle. Tail end of the dive a nice school of Amber Jacks came through.

Second dive: Tormentos to Bologna: 69ft 40min...This was a tough dive. We started out on Tormentos looking for Splendid tad fish. We found 4. Nice coral heads. Lots of fish everywhere. Then we did a swim of about 8 min to Bologna. THe currents got strange in a few places and it felt like we were swimming cross currents. We all ended up tired. The purpose was to see it the Blacktips were still hanging out there. They weren't. Not worth it.

Friday Night: Paradise Reef....Max 42ft. 46min... Octopi EVERYWHERE. Saw easily 8-10. Ranging from what I would call good size to I saw one that would fit it the plam of my hand. Spotted moray, and a couple huge crabs chowing down. I was amazed at the size of the Tunicates. Some easily 6-8 feet long. They look like tree roots underwater. Also saw two skates. Lots of coral heads and sleeping fish. Definitely one of the best night dives I have ever been on.

Saturday Morning: Palancar Caves: 85ft 35min More huge coral heads, swim thrus, reef fish, a huge crab sitting under a ledge a flying over the reef with the currents. Its neat to get into what I call a coral canyon where the heads tower 12 feet over you on both sides and you can look under them to see whats there. Notable... this was my 100th dive. :bounce:

SanFrancisco: 63 feet 44min... For sheer reeef life this was it. There were fish almost over every square inch of reef. I found a couple arrow crabs. My wife found two green morays. One was about 8 inches long. It got jumped out of its hole and she saw it cruising across the reef.

Sunday Morning; Another section of Palancar Caves... 98ft..40min. The main difference to this dive was we saw two more small turtles and a big stingray. Also saw three flamingo tongue snails on a sea fan.

Yucab reef... sadly the final dive of the trip, but a great one. Three toad fish. One interesting note with one of the toad fish was a Graysby was harrassing him, I guess to get him out of his hole. The toad fish in a sound defensable position was fighting back. Also saw three huge spiney lobster. This was neat as most of us set up to drift hovering perpendicular to the current and facing the reef. We were cruising sideways. I missed the pipefish.

Meals consisted of: The French Quarter... Great place. Great food. Nice open air dining.

Prima's... I still love this place. The ladies got a show again. There are two hotels close to this place. Last year they got treated to a man changing clothes to go to bed. This year ( I had an obstructed view and missed it gratefully) there were two men in the hotel next door engaged in amourous activities. I dunno maybe they wanted an audience....:eek:

Lobster Cove: Make reservations and you can eat on the beach. Great food. Good wines. Steak was AWESOME.

A very relaxing and fun trip.

TwoBit

Great trip report!
We will be staying at Fiesta Americana and going with Dive House over Thanksgiving . Haven't stayed or dove with them before, so I hope our trip turns out as well as yours did!

Sue

Our divemasters were Eddie and Pirate with Cruz as our deck hand. A great trio to take care of you.

Yall have fun. Wish I could join yall.

TwoBit

Makes me feel good that we will be going again this January.

Your first triple digit dive is always special!

I am considering staying there sometime in March or April. Just curious, how much are the dives? I was thinking of booking the hotel/flight through expedia and then getting a dive package once I'm there. What do you recommend?

Thanks,
Joe Shook

Joe,

Dives with dive house are $50 something US for an morning or afternoon and night are $40 something.

What ever you do be sure to do a night dive.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom